0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

I really don't know why I'm doing this. It's all because of my best friends. I will soon be attending a big party when I don't even want to! Uggh! Parties are useless and no fun. I still can't belive I'm going! It all started because my friends made me go.


" Olive!" says Hannah excitedly. " You know the End-of-the-year party?! We're all invited, including you!"


" Yeah!" said Grace holding her phone, jumping up and down. " The party is going to be such a blast!"


" Um I don't think I'm going to go," I said to their sad faces. " Parties are not my thing and you know it. Sorry"


" Pleaseee," pleaded Grace and Hannah at the same time.


After a few minutes of thinking and them pleading, I decided to give in.


" Fine." I say bitterly to them. They scream in excitment.


" Oh we HAVE to go shopping for dresses," says Hannah. Grace nods enthusiasticly.


" That's actually a good idea. I need a new dress to wear anyways," I say to them.


After school is over we all head to the mall. Then, we all go into this big shop examining the dresses. They were all beautiful. It was really hard to pick which one to wear. Finally, at the end of the store, I saw this dress that lit my heart up. I knew it was the right one. And luckily, it had my size! It was a blue, fluffy, long dress, with off the shoulder sleeves and it fit me perfectly! I quickly grabbed it and rushed to show Hannah and Grace.


" Omg! That is so pretty!" said Hannah.


" It looks amazing!" said Grace touching the dress and examining it from all sides.


Hannah was holding a silk, tight, and long green dress that had thin straps and a long cut at the bottom. Grace was holding a pink, fluffy, mini dress that had lace half sleeves. Both dresses were really beautiful.


Then, we all went home.


It's been 3 days and the party is in 2 hours! Eeeek! I am so not ready! I have to change, do my hair, and make-up too! I put on my dress and examine myself in the mirror. I looked ok. I put on my make-up which was pretty basic and curled my hair into slight curls. I did a halfway ponytail and tied it up with a blue ribbon. I also put on small, dangling, blue earings and a blue and gold bracelet.


I regret deciding to go to the party already. The party was hosted by the most popular girl in school, Christina and she would be crowning the prettiest girl and the most handsome boy. She was super nice though, and wouldn't be crowning herself.


I wear pastel blue heels that miraculously don't hurt my feet. I rush out the door and my parents drive me there. We were having the party at our school! I honestly didn't regonize the address. I also couldn't believe that our principal said yes. I walked out of the car and with a few minutes of hesitation, I walked in. All the girls were in pretty dresses while the boys wore different kind of suits. As soon as I walked in though, all eyes turned to me. The complimants began at once.


" Wow you look pretty, Olive," said one girl.


" Nice dress," said another.


" You look beautiful," said a boy.


" Nice hair!" said another.


" Stunning!" said Hannah as I found them. She looked amazing with her matching green high heels. Grace was all pink. I happened to run into Christina, the one who hosted the party and she complimented me.


" You look amazing!" she said. She was wearing a long gold dress with a bun on her head. She was also wearing a lot of make-up and jewlery.


" Thanks! I'm glad I came. I kind of didn't want to," I say to her. " Not that the party's bad," I add quickly.


" It's ok! Have fun," and then she walked away to look at all the other people.


While I was having fun with my friends, I noticed something weird. Christina kept staring at me and looking at my dress. Oh no! Did I spill something on it? I look down, relieved to see no stains. After lots of talking a loud voice rang the school.


" Everyone! Gather in the Cafeteria if you want to hear who is going to be crowned King and Queen!" It was Christina who said that. I knew who was going to win Queen again. It was always Rose. I saw her walk confidently to the Cafeteria. We follower her into the Cafeteria like everyone else.


All the tables were removed. It was completely empty but there was lots of decorations on the walls. The only thing that was here, was this stand at the end of the Cafeteria, with a microphone, and Christina standing next to it.


" Welcome!" said Christina into the microphone as we all fill the Cafeteria. " I will be announcing the King and Queen now!"


" The King is..." she said as everyone waited silently. " Sebastian!"


Everyone cheered. I saw this tall guy with dirty blonde hair come up the stage and stand next to Christina. He was wearing a velvet blue suit with a rose embroidred on the pocket.


" And the Queen is..." said Christina. Everyone was silent listening with suspense. " Olive!"


I just sat there in shock. Everyone cheered. Hannah and Grace were jumping up and down. Rose had a devastated look on her face. I slowly walked up to the stage and stood on the opposite side of Christina and she handed me and Sebastian a small trophy. Everyone cheered again. I out on a big smile looking down at Hannah and Grace who were cheering the loudest. My best friends. Oh I really need to thank them. Cause without them, I wouldn't be here. I just keep smiling my great big smile as I walk off the stage into my besties arms.

May 11, 2021 18:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.