The Sliver Waters Slicers

Submitted into Contest #230 in response to: Write a story that hides something from its reader until the very end.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

We’d all heard the warnings. “Come home straight from school, walk in big groups, don’t wander off in the dark alone.” The public service announcements had been seared into our minds coupled with the gory images of what would become of us if we did not take heed. 

I anxiously checked my watch, 3:15 PM.  Sienna had promised she’d only be a few minutes. It had been 15 minutes already and with each tick of the clock my worry grew. The bus had left, and the walk home was at least another thirty minutes if we walked quickly. A loud clapping noise startled me out of my train of thought, I spun around to see an amused Sienna wheezing with laughter at my reaction.“It’s not funny,” I huffed. “Let's go, it's going to get dark soon.” Sienna chuckled as she walked toward the door. “Are you afraid the Silver Waters Slicer will catch you outside?”. She whispered the word Slicer creating an eerie feel to the atmosphere.

Five bodies had been discovered in 10 months all in different parts of the country. Dubbed ‘The Silver Waters Slicer’ because of the signature cut left behind on each body, each of the victims' bodies sliced from the bottom lip all the way down to their navels all in one clean cut. The first victim had been in Silver Waters, about 100 KM from our little town. The latest victim was from our own small town, an unsuspecting Gwenith Smith. A university student who’d been walking home after visiting her boyfriend. Since her death, everyone in Craters Valley was terrified of being outside after 6pm. 

I checked my watch again as we walked at 3:45 PM. Sienna walked alongside me, nonchalantly sipping on some cranberry juice. “We will be home before you know it Jen, no need to worry.” Of course, I was worried. The street was almost deserted, except for a few cars no doubt driving around to do some last-minute errands before the sun set. “James’ parents are out of town today, so I’ll be sleeping over at yours.” Sienna said, making vigorous quotation marks with her fingers around the word ‘yours’. “Sienna, James lives in the opposite direction, you won’t make it before….” I couldn’t bring myself to finish my sentence. “I just have a few things to pick up and I’ll be on my way” she continued, completely disregarding everything I had just said.

The rest of the journey comprised of Sienna telling me in great detail the particulars of her new relationship and me tuning her out, lost in my own thoughts.  My mind trying to fathom how Sienna had always been easy-going for as long as I had known her. Even in the face of being sliced and gutted, teenage angst prevailed.

When we reached the cul-de-sac she lived on, she gave me a small nod and a two-finger salute before putting her headphones in and sauntering off. We’d become close ever since our family had moved to Craters Valley and Sienna had always been reckless, always in trouble, and I'd found myself in trouble a couple of times by association. I checked my watch again. 4:00 PM. My parents would be home soon, I had to make sure I got home before they did.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I reached our home, their car still wasn’t there. 4:05 PM I had made it before sunset. The smell of mashed potatoes and chicken greeted me at the door, my sister only made it on ‘special’ days. “You’re late,” my sister warned. “Get changed and help John set the dinner table. Mother and father will be here soon.” 

I'd changed and was setting up the table by the time mother and father walked in, both looking quite satisfied. At dinner time, the forks clinked a silent war against the china as we silently ate our dinner as was the custom. Mother's alarm went off and almost in a mechanical manner everyone stood up and cleared the dinner table before converging in the dining room again. “Right,” mother started as she glanced at her watch. “It's 5 PM and you know the drill.” Everyone pulled out their notebooks in response. “Cheryl Frazer, she’s driving up to her parents in Westfield this evening, she's already on the road.” Father started. Mother looked at my brother John next. “Ken, is closing up the shop late today.” John said, his stoic expression liquefying into a soft grin at everyone’s nods of approval.

I avoided eye contact with mother and to my relief her eyes bounced on to my sister, Mira. Mira hesitated and gave me a long, strange look before speaking. “I heard Sienna Spier is going to boyfriend James’ home today.” My heart dropped at hearing those words and I looked at my sister, betrayal shimmering in my eyes. How had she even known that? She'd always disliked Sienna. I had always figured she was just jealous of our friendship, but I had no idea she hated her to this extent. 

“No,” I started but Mothers stern look chopped my sentence short. Looks like Jen is going to slice her first victim today.” mother said in her usual cold tone. “Congratulations,” everyone said in unison in a monotone as mother handed me my very first blade. Its sharp edge twinkled in the light, strangely looking beautiful and I felt a feeling I hadn't quite felt before. It felt strongly familiar, like it had always been there. It was a hunger, an itch that had to be scratched. My lips cracked into a smile as I reached out for the knife. “Everyone get changed!” Mother urged. 

As I pulled on my black leather suit, I could barely contain the intrigue, normally I was just a watcher. But not today. A twinge of guilt tugged at me though, Sienna had been my best friend since we'd moved. I chased the happy memories of us from my mind by uttering mother's famous words. ‘A little evil exists inside everyone, slice the skin, let the evil out.’ I took one long look at the blade before sliding it into my belt. Its sharp edge gleaming in the reflection of the mirror; she wouldn't feel a thing. Slice the skin to release evil inside, it had to be done.

December 27, 2023 21:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Korinne H.
02:30 Jan 04, 2024

Very dark character twist...love it! Also love "Even in the face of being sliced and gutted, teenage angst prevailed."

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.