0 comments

General

Friend over Family


Have you ever wondered why people say " Oh ! My family is the most important thing in the world " ? That's because family loves, supports and understands us unconditionally. They only wish us the best. But what if the same family conspires against you? Who do you go to? A friend. That's right. They say "Friends are the family we choose." There's no formality in friendship. There are no expectations. You can be who you are, behave shamelessly and be silly and they'll still be around. Every other relationship in life expects us to do something ; as a child, parent, spouse or sibling. But friendship is pure. It's like you are friends because you want to be and you like each other. There's no further discussion. Let me tell you about 2 such friends whose friendship is too good to be true. But it is. 


It was a wonderful day in the city of london. It was the first day of junior kindergarten. The parents were nervous, the teachers were happy and the kids, well they were crying. Among the kids, one girl stood in a corner holding her father's hand. She looked around wondering who all the people were. Her father walked her to the classroom, bent down to give his darling daughter a forehead kiss and said, " Jane, be good." The little one nodded her head. 


Ms. Mary the class teacher asked Jane's dad Mr. Patrick not to worry. She'll be fine, she said. As the parents left, Ms. Mary settled the kids down. Jane looked around. A colourful classroom and a beautiful view outside, what else does a kid want. As she looked outside the window, she saw a girl and her mom running towards the classroom. The parent gave some excuse and Ms. Mary asked her to be careful. She asked the kid her name. My name is Rachel replied the kid. That's nice sweetheart, settle down said Ms. Mary. Rachel came and sat beside Jane. During the painting class, Jane helped Rachel with some colour and that's how their journey began and life paths crossed. 


Jane and Rachel were the best of friends. They knew each other's secrets and went to the same primary and high school. Life was good. 


It was one autumn afternoon when Jane and Rachel were sitting in the Hyde Park. Jane insisted on boating in Serpentine Lake. Rachel was just not herself today. Jane wondered what was wrong. Rachel loved boating and would get excited by the idea of boating. She asked Rachel if she was fine. Rachel didn't reply. Jane sat down and hugged her. She asked her what had happened? Rachel looked at her with tears in her eyes and said : " Am I really that bad to be accepted as a daughter? " Jane couldn't understand. She asked her to elaborate. 


Rachel told her about how in the morning her mother had spanned her for breaking a bottle which was by accident. It was not the first time. Rachel's mom was strict and even the kids in school knew about it as she had once made an issue out of small thing in the school itself. Rachel continued saying her mom asked her to get out of the house today. She apparently said Rachel was not worthy enough to be called a part of their family. Jane consoled her. She knew Rachel was going through a tough time. She knew how often Rachel was reprimanded and spanked on the little things that are generally ignored. She assured her saying " I don't know about daughter but you are the best friend anybody could've ever asked God. Rachel smiled. They walked back to their homes. 


Rachel was a pianist. She had been learning it since she was seven. She played it as she was born to play the piano. She was extremely passionate and was an unbelievable talent. Once there had been an audition in the school where Rachel got selected. The first one she told the news was Jane. Jane was so happy for her. She was happy that finally Rachel's dream was coming true. The first show happened. It was spectacular. It gave Rachel an instant fame and she soon received invitations to perform in different parts of the world. Rachel's life became happening and busy. 


Rachel and Jane used to talk frequently. Jane even attended her concerts. She was proud of her. Jane graduated from college and worked as an art director for a media company. The best day of their lives was the one in which Jane was put up as the creative head for a show that had Rachel performing. Rachel had moved out of her house. She now lived in an apartment in Leeds along with Jane. Jane usually stayed at the place while Rachel's work involved a lot of traveling. Jane took care of the house. 


It was one winter night when both girls were sitting in their house chatting on general issues. Jane asked if Rachel had spoken to her parents. Rachel said she would but that would be of no help. She couldn't connect with her family anymore. The next morning, Rachel noticed money spent from her card. She asked Jane about it. Jane didn't have a clue. Jane suggested on taking cyber help but Rachel didn't care much. It was just a few pounds. 


In a span of a few weeks, a whopping amount had been withdrawn and things began to get serious. When Rachel took cyber help, she realised it was none other than her parents who had cheated on her. They bought stuff from her money and she didn't even realise. She went to her parents house and questioned her parents. They very coldly replied they did. They also told her about how they sold some of her diamonds to buy a house as they were falling short of money. Rachel asked them to 

return her money back or she would take legal action. They shrugged and asked her why couldn't they use their daughter's money. Rachel replied it was her hard owned money. They asked her why she spent on Jane then stupidly? 


Rachel was infuriated by now. She composed herself and said that it was her money and she only had the power to decide where did she spend her money. She asked them if today she was worthy of being a daughter in their money. She reminded them of how it was only Jane who stood by her in all the difficult times. She could never compare them to Jane as she always wished the best for her where her own family had once prayed for Rachel's death so they could've access to her money. 


Long story short she asked them to repay the money within the stipulated time or her lawyer would take the necessary actions. Rachel's parents pleaded her to come back. They asked her to not take legal action against them. They repaid the money. Rachel and Jane lived together in the same apartment. Rachel's parents never called or visited. Perhaps they were ashamed of doing so. Jane felt sorry for her. Rachel asked what if she didn't have a family. She had a true friend who was more than anyone to her on any given day. The girls hugged. For Rachel it was always her friend over her family. 







October 08, 2019 11:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.