5 comments

General

As you check your mail, you notice a letter that makes you stop in your tracks. It is a bill! An accounting of charges! How can it be so huge? How many times have you visited? Can this be an addictive behavior? Going over it and over it, it appears correct! It is hard for you to realize how much the visits have become part of your life, you recall the visits but none as intensely engrossing as the first.


The first visit, it created such a need in you to see more. And so it begins…everyone should be prepared to believe!.


~~~~~


You might think you are looking at some kind of fringer , you know, a person of sorts, who hangs out on the fringe of life, never quite engaging in the mainstream arguments and causes, never really aware of the obvious reality around it but totally in tune with the deeper sometimes hidden things. In reality, what you should understand is that a silent watcher is a better description for what you are seeing! It would be hard for you to believe some of the things seen and the things done, when you are silent and still enough to go unnoticed. You would never believe it so why waste valuable breath or true words trying to tell you what a silent watcher may have witnessed.


It would seem unlikely that you would ever have a conversation with the likes of this silent watcher but you should try to imagine things this creature may have seen.  Imagine if you asked a silent watcher what it has seen, imagine how it may respond, perhaps by asking you a question!


“Have you ever watched a volcano?”


You might imagine how it might be to sit for days mesmerized as the rolling red molten rock boiled from the heart of the earth. It looked very much like the planet was bleeding, it’s heart blood pouring forth. It bubbled and gurgled, it spit and spewed forth, hissing at times almost groaning at others. Sitting here wide eyed, you feel your skin drying from the intense heat, lips cracking, you have no saliva left. You feel the panic of needing to move away but your body will not respond.


You might make your way over the smoking rocks, avoiding crevices where you might stumble in never to be seen again, to become food for the Gods. In time, you finally must stop from exhaustion and thirst. Your tiredness is greater than any you could possibly imagine. Laying your face against the warmth, you feel the life draining from your body. A part of you is willing, you feel ready, you may even want to become part of the earth’s core.  


Even with great effort and concentration, your eyes refuse to close, they will not close. All natural fluids are being sucked from your body by the heat, the bubbly red molten rock flowing by just yards from you. And then, as if in a dream, perhaps it is a dream, you have no sure way of knowing, but then from a smoking crack, larger and older than today’s fissures comes an ogre. You are not sure what it is but you call it an ogre as it is ugly and has an aura of malevolence surrounding it.  


It has scales that resemble slate or mineral hardened rock or glass created by the intense heat. It is larger than man size by twice or three times. The eyes of the creature are mere slits but it watches you with intense interest. You see it has a tail and the rhythmic movement of the tail is almost hypnotic to you. You stare in awe as it is so ugly it almost becomes beautiful. You try blinking your eyes hopefully to produce tears, to gain relief from the dry burning and to clear your vision. No tears will come but the ogre remains. You feel the situation is ominous but you feel totally helpless. You are unable to move away from it and slowly it approaches , it makes its way to you grunting low and making abusive comments.


When it speaks directly to you, the voice or low cackling sounds it makes, causes you to shrink away from it, you cringe and cower. You would cry if you could but no tears remain. It has little patience for one such as you, it kicks you with its foot. 


“Get up, get up you emaciated fool!” It growls, “You are shrinking before my very eyes!” “There must be something left of you for my soup pot.” He kicks at you again. A black tongue flicks out of it’s leather like lips, again and again. You imagine the warped brain of this creature imagining how you will flavor it’s pot of who knows what!


You know in your core being that you must decide! Will you succumb? Will you resist? One thing you are certain of, it must happen now, this very moment! You must decide but you are so very depleted!


Quite suddenly you have a jolt of energy…or was it just an immediate adrenaline rush? You care not how to name it as it really matters not the name but you begin to roll over the warm rocks, faster and faster! As you roll you feel the rocks becoming cooler under your flesh as you at last move further and further from the lava. Time passes so slowly, you roll on, you have no idea where the ogre is you just know you MUST roll!   


You roll into a natural bowl or funnel in the earth’s surface, the shape creates speed and you spiral downward! Downward! Falling, you are falling, you are falling through intense blackness, a void so complete it lacks all and any detail! With the blackness comes resignation , all choice is gone from you!  No light, no sound, no life!


~~~~~


You are breathing heavily and with panic filled eyes. You look around, no one has even noticed you! You have watched and listened to this fantastic tale of wonder and strife! You are like the silent watcher, you have become a silent watcher!


Around you in this dark and dank place many others are so involved in isolated words and images. Each satisfying a longing from individual needs or imagination. All unaware of any other present but you know now! You have imagined the existence of silent watchers and thus have become one.  


You must be silent! You must watch! You must have patience for the knowledge to flow to you. When it happens, you must examine it carefully. Is it madness you feel? Is it a hallucination with which you are involved? Is there any reality left for you?  


More importantly, why have you been given this insight? This vision? Who will answer your questions now?


You remove the headphones! You remove the VR device! You sit in stunned silence!




June 21, 2020 00:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Silver P.
00:07 Jul 02, 2020

....Wow! All I can say is...wow! If you are not making millions off of your writing, you should be! To be such a fantastic, descriptive, persuasively talented writer and have only 5 likes? This is an amazing work of art

Reply

P. Jean
00:24 Jul 02, 2020

It is totally out of my norm....but I love it that it pleased you. Encouraging words fuel our fires. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelechi Nwokoma
15:14 Jun 25, 2020

Wow! I love how this is a Virtual Reality experience. At first, I thought it was fantasy with the ogre and all, but the twist at the end is awesome. Great work!

Reply

P. Jean
16:04 Jun 25, 2020

Thank you so much....this type of writing is not in my usual stable of tricks. Thank you for taking your valuable time to comment!

Reply

Kelechi Nwokoma
16:08 Jun 25, 2020

You're welcome. This style of writing really isn't in anyone's stable of tricks, haha. Could you check out mine? It's titled 'Silent Betrayer'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.