2 comments

General

"Hi, is this seat taken"?

She said while touching my shoulder gently.

"Uh, yes… By you"!

Why did I say that? I felt so dumb and embarrassed. Cute girls make me lose my composer. Those big glowing eyes, plump red lips and a good looking bust… My primal instincts kick in just from the thought of a girl like that.

She smiled at me and sat down.

"So, what does a pretty girl like you does in a place like this?" I asked, avoiding eye contact.

"Well, death gets us all, you know. I was driving from my friend's wedding, a little tipsy, I'll admit. Next thing I know, I'm speeding off a cliff, like in that scene in the end of "Thelma & Louise". Then I opened my eyes and found myself here. By the way, what number did you get"?

To tell the truth, I got lost in her... eyes. At first I tried to listen to her, I swear! But then her voice reduced down to a fading echo, getting dimmer and dimmer in my brain. 

"Uh… Can you hear me? Your number?"

"Oh, yeah", I wiped the drool that accumulated on my chin off. "What did you ask?"

"I asked what's your place in line? What's your number?"

I looked at the little paper ticket they gave me in the entrance.

"1003". I said.

"Oh, I'm 1006." 

"I guess we're stuck together for a while"!

We both smiled at each other awkwardly. I wish I had my phone here. Awkward silence makes me say weird things.

"So… Do you like movies?"

"Yes", she quietly responded. "I liked Mean Girls."

I grew up with three sisters who were obsessed with this movie growing up. We used to dress up as the characters from the movie; they were always Regina, Gretchen and Karen, and I was always Cady. I don't really watch it anymore now a days, but for some reason I decided to say:

"Oh my God! That's my favorite movie!"

I think I just made myself look like the gayest person in the world. Well, in heaven, that is. 

She just looked at me and giggled.

"What's funny?" I asked, fully aware that she is laughing at me.

"Nothing, I just never heard a guy saying that Mean Girls is his favorite movie."

"That just proves that I'm confident in my masculinity!" 

Spoiler alert: I'm not. I've always felt like I'm not manly enough. Growing up with three older sisters, I was always their test dummy. They would dress me up in the most ridiculous clothes and makeup, which always made me feel like a little bit of an odd bird. I'd never fit in with the guys.

"So, how did you make your way up here?" She interrupted my thoughts.

"Me? I got bitten by a snake while hiking in the Himalaya".

"Really?"

"You don't believe me?"

Of course she didn't, a guy that likes teen rom-coms could never climb a mountain.

"I do find it a little hard to believe". She said with a slight smirk on her face.

"Okay, okay. You got me. I actually died from cancer."

Her face straightened. 

"Oh my god, I… I didn't know. I'm sorry."

"Well I'm already dead, so you have nothing to be sorry about. By the way, I'm Eric."

"Jessica", she said while she reached to shake my hand. "Nice to meet you Eric."

Her grip was firm yet gentle. Her hand warm and velvety.

"What moisturizer do you use?"

"It's olive oil, my mother told me it's the best way to have soft skin".

Her mother knew what she was talking about. I wish I had skin like hers. But I have this awful habit of washing my hands way too many times. You gotta be careful of those germs and viruses!

"Tell me, Jessica, did you have a boyfriend before you…"

"No, I'm single. My mother used to tell me that I'm a forever bachelor. All the guys she tried to set me up with, they never lasted over a week or two."

Oh, she's one of those girls? At that point I was getting a little worried. A fine, handsome young lady, who can't maintain a relationship with a man for over a week? Something must be wrong with her. She's either crazy, or she puts back the cookie jar in its place, even though she finished all the cookies. Either way, she's a monster for sure.

"And why is that? I mean, why don't they last?"

"That might be because I can't have any kids. I was born without ovaries, so I can't have any kids of my own. When a man hears that, he runs away."

Wow was I wrong! It's funny how when a woman isn't married by the age of thirty, we assume that something must be wrong with her. 

"Oh," I said, "I'm sorry to hear that."

"Well, don't be sorry. These guys were jerks anyways. And uh… maybe I'll have more luck up here"!

I smiled at her and she blushed. Maybe I can make this work. I just need to not say anything stupid and we might be starting something new and exciting. So that was of course, the moment I said something stupid.

"You know, my dad told me to never talk to brunette girls, because y'all are crazy."

"Is that so?" 

"Yeah, bitches be crazy!"

Her smile faded from her face. 

"Oh, but my dad", I tried to fix the situation, "he didn't know what he was talking about! I mean, how can a father that always comes home drunk know what he's talking about!"

I'm afraid she didn't understand me. I reiterated: "I mean, you are not crazy. That's what I meant to say. You are…" 

I struggled to find the words to describe how wonderful she is. 

"Go on", she said, "say it".

"You are… Special. There's something in your eyes that screams: 'hey! Look at me, I'm different.'"

She giggled again. 

"Why are you laughing now?"

"It's funny, because I can see the exact same thing in your eyes as well."

I blushed. I'm not used to this kind of compliments. I could feel the tears pooling in my eyes. I didn't want to cry in front of her, but my body betrayed me and released a stream of water that ran down my face.

"You are such an ugly crier!" She said.

"That's not the best time to tease me, I'm extra sarcastic when I'm emotional."

I looked at her through the tears. My eyes foggy and watery and hers shining like city lights at night. 

"1003, please approach the reception desk". A voice called.

I didn't want the moment to end, but I guess we now have an eternity to make this work.

"Well", she said, tipping an imaginary hat from her head, "I'll see you on the other side".

I bowed to her as well. "Si, mademoiselle. Thy shall see thee on the thouwho side."

"1003?" Called the voice again.

I started making my way to the desk. I stopped and closed my eyes for a second. I couldn't just leave like that. 

I swiftly turned around and ran to her. 

"Eric? What are you…?" 

Before she could finish the sentence I grabbed her and gave her a kiss. Her lips felt like butter and tasted like candy, her heart was beating fast. Her soft and gentle hands cradled my head tightly. 

"1003!" The voice now sounded upset.

I unwillingly released her from my arms and ran to the desk. I could still feel the gentle touch of her lips on mine. 

"Thank God"! I mumbled.

"You're welcome". A voice said from nowhere.

July 09, 2020 13:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Hooria Amin
15:03 Jul 16, 2020

i liked it i loved your idea its superb

Reply

Ella Bartal
16:23 Jul 16, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.