Peace at last... As shall it last! ...

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Set your story in a remote winter cabin with no electricity, internet, or phone service.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Sad Teens & Young Adult

It was when he decided he had enough... Enough of humans, enough of stress, enough of bragging and also nagging...

He decided he needed the rest and so he started his quest. A quest in a desperate search of peace; And so peace at last...

Staying in a far away cabin, a cabin in the middle of nowhere but still found somewhere.

A cabin so empty he could hear his breathing echo, but it was not empty... It was filled to its fullest with his heavy steps; As heavy as the snow fall outside.

It was winter time. It is a time when cosy and warm are most wanted. A time when cold hands are warmed with kind hearts. A time when ice is turned into a fun game. A time when seeds of love are planted and aroused by the falling rain. Growing stronger but maybe fading! You will not know until you try.

But he, he decided far; wanted far, and so he went way far. He chose a place where people would cross his thoughts the least, a place where he would wonder with no rehearsal and not a single expectation. A place where he would admire great beauty from afar.

The cabin he took refuge in, had no signs of any human evolution nor technology revolution.

A cabin small in size, his size. A cabin untouched by civilization but holds keys to all civilisation. A cabin which gives the air of fear but brings only calm.

He sat by a fire: in his ancestors style. A chimney as of those from a movie style; With which he warmed himself up and by; as no electricity nor heating systems were on; Or even existed to be turned on. Watching snow slowly fall...

He settled himself down in a most remote cabin of all time. He escaped noise to find peace in calm. Which better way to do so then of being alone in a forsaken corner! Locked away by desire, moved away because of fire! He just crossed his legs and arms and watched the fire...

His cabin, though deserted of any human touch or disruption, had fire but no reception. It had light but not a single switch light.

A candle, a warm fire and a diffused mind to put back together was all he took and was left with... That was his true issue and serious fire!

He did not know how to handle that mind of his... That state of anger and abhorrence... Thought winter cold would cool down his nerve and ease his brain... Instead, he ended in a warm mess and a brain on fire... Fire next to fire... He just set there, gazing into the burning flames of a burning winter fire... Fire on fire. With such a brain and minus three degrees winter forfeits... It lost its fight... A fight? It was not really about a fight! I mean he did not escape a fight... He escaped reality...! Do not judge what you have never been through, because it is only then when you will start to understand . He ran away from chaos... From a world where fake became the new real...

As snow fell down outside and fire burnt inside, he gazed into the void...

There was no rain, just heavy snow and drifting winds... Snow is white but he saw it grey... Why grey! He was blinded by his emotions he was no longer able to distinguish and use his sane sight best.

It was real cold outside but he had his own customised heater, his head took best care of burning him from the inside.

He kept the window open and the door shut.

Watching snow slowly fall and fade to the floor from the open window. He, not even for a split second, second guessed his location or doing. I mean, going far from the so called home into the distant woods! Settling in an empty cabin with a full brain and an empty stomach! It does seem kind of suicidal! Insane and not that sane!

Snow fall, it's Christmas time! It's warmth time! Affection time! It's where people stick near but never far!

He did care about that the least. For him, It was; this act of escapism, a last resort to seek ease. He did not think it twice, he just drove and in no time, sat there, all alone. But he was never alone, as people whom he drove away from kept up to him.

Even there, he still argued with them. Detesting how they handled him, how when he needed someone he found no one. He was simply treated in cold.

He found and was left with heavy clouds and a heavier chest. A cold weather but a fired up head. An ice berg appeared in the horizon, a bloquage for walking, but he saw it not.

Being there, sitting alone by a never ending fire, opening up to observe from a safe distance woods and before it roads dress in white, he fainted into the sound of quiet.

As he shifted his eyes from the outside falling snow into the inside, where there was fire, he dived. Wishing each burning flame would burn a thought, he held his tears and said" just like the sky is grey... After a heavy snow comes a burning sun... As shall all that was iced with cold be warmed with fire... and who was lost in winter would be melted..." He did not have an end to that so he held that thought and after wiped his few tears.

He was thankful, despite all that, that even in tough times like that, where people suffered to find warm, he still enjoyed the beauty of a winter time. Warmed by fire and with fire, he decided to let his mind have a break.

He laid by the fire, closed the window and gave up to sleep.

Quest fulfilled... One problem at a time. "I will fight fire with fire..."

January 21, 2021 22:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.