Time for a change.

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

10 comments

General

It happens slowly, it takes time, does require efforts and need faith. Many have led the movement forward, passing on the torch of resilience, more are carrying this legacy on their shoulders now. They will stop when the winds will halt, they will be destroyed when the sun is no more, they will rest when the universe is gone. The change will go on- just the people who will carry the baton ahead will be replaced with time. What does this reflect about us? Either we take our time to understand the nature of our reality or the reality works with its own pace. Why it is required? To accomplish the need of present, to learn from the past and ultimately to let it go. To bring equality and prosperity. To keep the law in check and prevent the people protecting it from diverting away from the right track.

He asked if the world will ever be fair? I have the answer to that in my mind but I couldn’t spit it out of my mouth. It didn’t matter if it was ‘yes’ or ‘no’. It didn’t matter if I believed in it or not. I will not give false hope or take away the slightest of the optimism from him. He would have to figure this out by himself. The path won’t be easy, it won’t be straight drive from one point to another. He will meet singular minded people who will try to circle him up in their ideologies. Might make him think that there is only one way to go for which is theirs. They will intentionally or not, maybe in under someone’s influence will create a wind that might rattle his rationality and curiosity. He may get bounded in the well of fanatics, which could give him the idea that everyone around the world is like this only. That any unorthodox method is a bane for society. That it needs to be demolished from the core of its values.

Simultaneously people will cross paths that will be open to accepting the paradox of a thought, to say the least take it under consideration. Those will play a crucial role in shaping his mind. They are highly likely to get involved in hours of discussion on even the slightest thing which may seem irrelevant at first, when investigated further will unfold several undiscovered layers beneath.

If he chooses to live with the former he won’t see anything behind the curtain created to make everyone believe that everything is just fine. That no change is required; people who are in power should remain in power; lines between humans and gods will be blurred and over the top confidence will be placed in the authorities. No questions will be asked; no opposition will be registered; boundaries will remain unexplored and diversification will get nullified.

In case if he chooses to live with later he will definitely be asked to stay in line. Is going to get sidelined, will find himself alone several times. It will be as tough as it gets. However he will find a whole new perspective to look at. A new beginning an unthinkable end. An inexperienced journey, a path waiting to be travelled along. When he chooses he must understand that actions have consequences. People will react to his choices. Whatever he decides to do he must be confident about it. He have to stay with the decision, there is no turning back.

Why I can’t observe the change, is it not happening around us? He asked. It is taking place everywhere at any given point of time. Many don’t accept the sudden pace of it. Thus, it is smart to do it quietly. When there is no one to suppress your views. When your observation can cross the barriers of orthodox, conventional and conformist standpoint.

It has gotten worse with time, it has become almost impossible to raise your concern against injustice. How are we supposed to be the voice of change when the majority is yearning to sew our lips. They are willing to do everything in their capacity to remove any contradiction to their belief. They are happy to hurt, ready to kill and lie without a flinch about it.

When we talk about changing the society. It includes improving its flaws and fulfilling the need of the helpless. It requires to speak up against racism, patriarchy, radicalism. Allowing violence is worse crime than doing it. It is perhaps not enough to be non participant of the said extremism. It is the call of present to register disagreement against it.

At his age many of these things might sound unnecessary. However it is crucial for him to get a basic idea of the kind of ideologies he is going to face in his future. These fundamentals will either make him the person the world needs or the person the world already had in abundance.

What should I do when everyone wants the easy way out? He asked. They probably will. It’s not easy to take a stand. A lot of things are at stake. Mostly it is the one which is the most precious to us. The one we don’t want to lose at any cost. In such times our will mostly looses from our desire. Support will get pulled off by the trusted. Simultaneously many will come forward to find strength for themselves in your words. The power of non-violence protest will once again conquer the forced credence.

Will you always be there for me? He asked. I will be with you in many forms even when I am not visible. I will be with you as a stranger who empathies with your views. I will be there in the form of a journalist who will take your views to people across the globe and ask them to think about it for a second. I will be with you in the form of your past who knows where you come from, your present who knows where you are and your future who knows where you are going. I will be there whether you know it or not. One thing I am sure about is that you will know when it is ‘time for a change’.

June 07, 2020 10:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Yoomi Ari
01:18 Jun 08, 2020

Great story! I could imagine a voice saying this to me, great job and unique individuality. You gave your point out sharp and influenced/inspired me. :)

Reply

DHANANJAY SHARMA
06:32 Jun 08, 2020

I am happy I am able to do that.

Reply

Yoomi Ari
16:13 Jun 08, 2020

Great:)

Reply

DHANANJAY SHARMA
16:24 Jun 08, 2020

I have published another one. Waiting for your views on it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Wow. This is so simple without any dialogue, but the details are beautiful. I love the first paragraph, the intro really hooked me in, like when it said "carrying this legacy on their shoulders now." Just two things. When it says "At his age many of these things might sound un," it broke apart with the word "unnecessary." Another thing is at the ending when you wrote " I will be there weather you know it or not," I think you mean "whether." Just simple mistakes. You are a great writer, keep going, and keep growing!

Reply

DHANANJAY SHARMA
16:36 Jun 07, 2020

Thank you Kendra Stone for giving your valuable time on the story. I will keep your review in mind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Nghiem
01:42 Jun 10, 2020

Hi, Dhananjay: You have skillfully applied your poetric writing and philosophy to illustrate a profound issue, of whether justice can be obtained. Is it "to be or not to be?" I would have benefited from establishing a relationship, such as identifying him as "my son" to give more depth and context. Instead of referring generally to "it," you could intersperse references to "society," "humanity," "the world," etc. throughout your story to bring it into real context. I would have preferred to have SOME setting, to anchor these thoughts to a p...

Reply

DHANANJAY SHARMA
07:01 Jun 10, 2020

Hi, Emily. I will certainly push myself to dig more layers of the said context. I believe I haven't done that yet due to the word limit. However seeing your interest in my work has motivated me to do that. Thank you.

Reply

Emily Nghiem
17:06 Jun 10, 2020

You are right about the word limit. For this story, I don't think you would need to slip in that much more than a hint, in between thoughts, near the beiginning, then the middle to break it up, and at the end. To reveal just enough to the reader to "get" the physical context, especially if it's so familiar, like getting booked and bailed out, that we all know where they are, and what has happened to bring the father (or friend there). With your poetic words, you can take as few as needed to tease your audience a little, where you don't overe...

Reply

DHANANJAY SHARMA
06:23 Jun 11, 2020

I will definitely try to stand up to your expectations. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.