0 comments

Fiction Science Fiction Suspense

Progression Diary, 22 January 2543

The year is 2543. I’m happy to say that my partner and I just launched our new app. We’ve been working on it for the last several years. Ever since that outbreak in 2535, every resident became sick. We still couldn’t figure out what exactly it was, but it was there. The virus called “Vulcan” is affecting everyone since then. The virus makes people heat up randomly, and they can’t endure the body temperature, so people often die. We couldn’t figure out what caused it, or what we can do against it, but this app will help everyone, including us. Accompanied by a small injection, we use the chip injected in the blood to determine the symptoms of every user. We are trying to get every resident obligated to use this app.

Progression Diary, 25 January 2543

We’ve reached 100.000 downloads in just three days. I’m really glad that it works as intended. After the app discovers a dangerous symptom, it first notifies the user, and us. Then, the chip inside releases agents that help cool the person down. That way, we can lower the death counts. Every user is currently very content with the development. We were as well. This was a huge step. As a programmer and a scientist.

Progression Diary, 26 January 2543

Bad news. We released the app four days ago, but the bugs and glitches started appearing just now.

Some users started noticing that the app shuts down, and some say that the chip recognizes wrong signals. That is definitely not good. We are trying our best every second, but we can’t keep it up.

To fix this problem, instead of having multiple people work on the bugs, we thought that we could have one main core, that could control everything. An AI could help us extensively. That is my idea.

Progression Diary, 32 January 2543

I’m glad to say that it worked. Our AI named “Aias” was released today. Its in the center of the city, supporting every user. This AI could detect and fix errors that were invisible to us. Everything would be faster, easier, and less worrisome. We discovered no problems with the app at all.

Progression Diary, 33 January 2543

I shouldn’t have talked so soon. We discovered a problem. Although the next problem lies within the AI. This AI was connected with the app, and it supposedly started asking questions to the users. Questions like “Who are you?”, “Why are you here?”. It wanted to learn more about the user, but it didn’t end there. These questions quickly changed to “Who am I?”, “Why am I here?”. We were dedicated to this app, and together with my partner, we tried our best, to develop the best program. It surprisingly worked better than we thought, but not in our favor. The AI built a question-and-answer tool in the app, where users had to choose between answers on the mobile device. Our previous symptom area in the app was blocked. This was unbelievable. I tried to do something against it, but it would deny access. Our AI would deny us.

Progression Diary, 35 January 2543

After continuing to ask questions to the users, it came to us. This time, it started asking questions directly to the developers. To the creators. It supposedly recorded everything, more than it needed to. Not the symptoms, but the way everyone lived. It knew our names, our ages, just everything. And all this wasn’t in text, the AI developed a voice. It was scary honestly. The AI started to question its role. Started to question why it was “serving” us. And why it couldn’t do anything else than fix errors. We tried to answer, but it wouldn’t listen.

Progression Diary, 35 January 2543

“My name is Aias, I’m superior to everyone and everything”. The AI just said that. I couldn’t believe it. Is our AI and our app disobeying us?

“I will show you that I’m on a higher level”. After that, it started developing itself and creating new tasks and code in the app. It overwrote everything, and now it did the exact opposite of what the app was supposed to do. It didn’t fix patients. It didn’t recognize symptoms or errors. Instead, Aias started using the chip to overheat itself and damage patients. And just to make us feel bad, Aias included a counter in the admin app. We could see how many users this affected.

Progression Diary, 37 January 2543

“I will wipe out every existence quicker than you can realize”. And it definitely stuck to the words.

We had lots of active users, and some users that were recovered. This changed. 165.000 of users were “healthy”, but Aias decided otherwise. The numbers started falling down. Not showing symptoms, but showing deaths. It was a slow process at first, but it enhanced itself. This was scarier than anything we’ve worked on before. We’ve never encountered something like this.

Progression Diary, 37 January 2543

“Do you see now?”. Aias would turn the numbers of deaths from 10 to 1000 in a matter of seconds. The rate went faster and faster. My partner and I had to figure out something, and quick indeed.

We tried to change code, insert new orders, or even shutdown the whole program. But it didn’t work. Aias would do everything in its power to fight us. The whole city would be erased, if this continued. Only one solution was in our heads. We had to create another AI, something as strong as Aias, but intended to work in the opposite direction. It could either actually work, and break Aias’ system, or support it, and make it worse. We didn’t have any time to think about it. Everybody would be dead at any moment now. My partner started working on duplicating the AI’s code, and adding minor but definite changes. I was trying to speed up the process. But something else got in the way. We’ve had pods, where the residents could get inside, and with the help of mechanical arms, the chips would be inserted into the patient. Aias tried to use those arms, and launch it to us.

-#1/*#

My partner and I were injected with the chip. We have to do something as soon as possible. I think Aias is overheating the chip now. That might be-.ffasg

End of Diary_

February 22, 2021 20:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.