The Kid Who Sneezed The Sun

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Write about a character who is allergic to heat.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age Friendship Kids

Sam was a six-year-old boy who, just like any child, loved to play. One day, Sam was playing outside with his jump rope. He spent the whole day playing with his jump rope until his mother called him for lunch. “Lunch is ready, Sam,” his mother called softly. Sam went inside to the kitchen. “Coming, Mom—” Suddenly, Sam stopped. “ACHOOOOOO!” Suddenly Sam sneezed and everything in the kitchen became covered in green, slimy snot. 

“OH SAM”, yelled Sam's mom angrily. Sam turned red in shock at what had just occurred. Sam’s mom headed upstairs while yelling; “I am going to take a shower, the kitchen better be spotless once I am finished”! Sam jumped when his mother slammed the door. Well, I better get started Sam thought. When he began mopping, Sam suddenly had an urge to sneeze! Sam ran outside away from the house and sneezed as soon as he was in the front yard. And drenched his mother’s beautiful roses. "Sam come back inside and finish cleaning the kitchen!" his mother called. "Oh no." Sam knew he was in trouble. Sam had less than two minutes before his mother came outside and saw the mess that he had made. 

“What do I do? I haven't even cleaned the kitchen yet!” Sam said frantically. Sam trembled in fear as he heard his mother's heavy footsteps coming outside. As Sam's mom approached he could see the absolute horror in her eyes. "I don’t know what made me sneeze,” Sam said. Sam’s mom was very upset and sad that all her hard work and time she spent on her beautiful roses was for notion. Suddenly Sam started coughing and feeling dizzy. He started losing focus and unexpectedly Sam had taken a few steps back and passed out. Everything had gone black. 

Sam heard the faint sounds of beeps and felt the softness of a bed under him. Sam started to wake up. “Mom?” Sam said sluggishly. Sam’s mom was high alert and quickly ran to the side of the bed. "Hey Sam," she said softly "we're at the hospital. I'm going to go find a nurse or a doctor" Sam's mom ran out of the room to find a doctor. 

Seconds later mom, a nurse, and a doctor calmly came in. The nurse checked Sam's temperature and blood pressure. Sam was more alert now that the room was filled with people. “Hello Sam, my name is Dr.Unn, how are you feeling?” The doctor said in a low, soft voice. “Hungry and drowsy, what happened?” Dr.Unn looks like a big bear wearing scrubs and a stethoscope. Dr.Unn begins telling Sam what happened. “Yesterday when you kept sneezing and feeling dizzy, you fainted when you went back outside”. Still confused about what was happening, Sam nodded for Dr.Unn to continue. “You came into the Hospital unconscious and not breathing correctly, we did some tests and concluded that you have a heat allergy.” 

Sam started putting pieces together. The room is silent with the only sounds coming from the heart monitor beeping steadily. “Sam it’s ok if this is hard to take in.” Dr.Unn says with concern. “Can I still play outside?” Sam said with very little hope. Dr.Unn looked at Sam’s mother with sympathy on his face. With a sad look on his face, Dr.Unn begins to tell Sam about his devastating limits. Sam caved into his mother's arms and shed tears of sorrow. Sam now has to live the rest of his summer indoors being unable to do any of the things he likes to do outdoors. Sam's grief affected his mother as well. Sam’s mother felt like she had a completely different son which made her feel like a different mother than what she was. 

It has been a month since Sam discovered his heat allergy. Sam was now spending his summer taking allergy pills, and sleeping with minimal blankets so that he did not get hot at night. The thermostat has to stay under sixty-nine degrees and epi-pens are in every room for safety which made Sam embarrassed whenever his friends, Jake and Michel come over. They would tease him and say unfriendly things. This made Sam very sad.

Sam's mom made snacks for him and his friends and the snacks she just made and happily headed up the creaky stairs to Sam’s room. Sam had gone to use the restroom while Jake and Michel stayed in his cold bedroom and started talking behind Sam’s back “I can’t believe how cold it is in here!” Jake scoffed. Michel laughed and said “Sam is such a loser!” Sam's mom was outside of Sam’s room listening carefully to what Jake and Michel were saying. “Hey Jake, what if we change the thermostat to one-hundred degrees!” said Michel with excitement on his face. “Let’s go!” Jake urgently agreed with the Idea. Jake and Michel ran to the door to head to the thermostat and change it from sixty-nine degrees to one-hundred knowing that this would hurt Sam. Sam’s mother was still outside Sam’s room where Jake and Michel were discussing this plan. 

Sam’s mom was not going to let this happen. Sam’s mom quickly put the tray of snacks down on the floor and stood in front of Sam’s bedroom door prepared for Jake and Michel to open the door and stop them from hurting Sam. Jake and Michel came to a surprise to see Sam’s mom at the door with her hands on her hips and an upset face. Sam came out of the restroom to find Jake and Michel gone. There was distant yelling coming from downstairs. Sam went downstairs to investigate to find his mom yelling at Jake and Michel“I am going to call your parents right now to come pick you up, and you are going to tell your parents what you were going to do!” “Mom?” Sam said in a confused tone. Sam’s mom ignored Sam talking to her. “I never want you in my home ever again!” Sam’s mom said with anger in her face. 

By now Jake and Michel were crying their eyes out. Less than ten minutes later both Jake and Michel’s parents arrived at Sam’s house. Jake’s Mother and Father came to the door with power in their steps. While Michel’s parents came to the door sweaty like they were just running a marathon. Sam’s mom opened the front door quickly inviting all the parents into the living-room. 

Sam, still confused now sitting on the couch with his cat, lying on Sam’s lap asleep, Sam’s mom began calmly telling Jake and Michel’s parents about what had happened and why she urgently called Jake and Michel’s parents. Sam had finally realized the reason why his mom was yelling at his friends. Sam noticed Jake and Michel’s parents were staring at him while Jake and Michel with tears in their eyes feeling like the worst people in the world, of course making it sound like what they were attempting to do was not that bad to not get in trouble for what they did to Sam. 

“OK, YES WHAT THEY WERE ATTEMPTING TO DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO YELL AT MY CHILD!” said Jake’s mom.“YOUR CHILDREN NEED TO LEARN HOW TO TREAT KIDS THAT ARE DIFFERENT!” said Sam’s mom. “ARE YOU TELLING US HOW TO PARENT OUR CHILDREN?!” screamed Michel’s mom. Sam’s mom yelled at Michel’s and Jake’s parents for another five minutes. They eventually had to leave due to their argument becoming too much for their children to watch. 

It is now September,  Sam could no longer experience his isolation from people and outside. Today was “Meet The Teacher” at Sam’s school. Sam couldn’t sleep last night thinking what school would be like with his new allergy to the heat. Heavy steps come near Sam’s door, light knocking and the sound of his mother coming to wake him up. “Sam, wake up! I already got the car cold, full blast!” Sam was still in bed in his pajamas turned away from his mom. 

“I don’t want to go!” said Sam trying to hold back tears. “It’s going to be ok Sam, new things are scary, but we have to keep going.” said his mom, with a soft tone. Sam got up and wiped the tears off his face and got dressed in his favorite basketball shirt and red shorts. Sam looked in the mirror, combed his hair and went to the cooled garage and got in his mother’s car. 

Sam and his mother got to Sam’s school to meet his teacher. Sam and his mother arrived in a large classroom with posters of his favorite Basketball, Football, and Soccer players all around the room. A really short man came to the door to greet Sam and his mother. “Hello there, you must be Sam!” You can call me Mr.Dice” said Mr.Dice with joy! Mr.Dice being the same height which made Sam smile. Sam’s mood quickly changed  to being worried about getting an allergic reaction to the heat. Mr.Dice saw Sam anxious and knew that Sam is scared knowing  he will be different from everyone else.

Mr.Dice put his hand on Sam’s shoulder  with sympathy  for Sam. “You want to know something  Sam?” Mr.Dice asked  with compassion.  Sam picked up his head to look at Mr.Dice finally calming down. “For me growing up a lot of students would stare at me and say mean things behind my back. Everyday I would come home thinking that I’m weird and that I was a loser. But one day I woke up remembering I am different, I am weird, I am me” These words made Sam realize being different is ok and that what he said mattered. 

“The room will stay cooler than other classrooms and the class will spend recess in the gym playing games together.” Mr.Dice said with certainty. Sam felt so excited for school, and feeling ready for the first day even if it was going to be scary. Just as Sam and his mother exited Mr.Dice’s classroom , Michel and his mother came into the classroom. Michel and Sam stopped and looked at each other in surprise. Michel bent his head down in embarrassment seeing Sam after what he did. “I’m sorry for what I did.” said Michel low-spiritually. Sam put his hand on Michel’s shoulder and smiled. Michel looked up, surprised. “It’s ok Michel, I now know it’s ok to be different.” Sam looked at Mr.Dice and smiled. “Being different from everyone else makes me who I am, and I will never not be proud of it!” Sam said cheerfully. Michel smiled and said, “Save me a seat for the first day?”. Sam laughed and gave Michel a thumbs up. “You got it!” Sam and his mother continued to walk down the school hallway. “Still nervous for the first day?” asked Sam’s mom with a smile. Sam looked up at his mom and said confidently, “Not the slightest!” 

It was now the first day Sam had come to school early before the heat came in class. Ten-minutes later more students came in and Michel came in five-minutes before the bell rang and waved to Sam when he came in. “Did you save me a seat?” asked Michel with a smile. "

August 06, 2024 16:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.