33 comments

Bedtime Inspirational Creative Nonfiction

The Gift

I wish to impart to you, my friend, a gift. Hopefully, you will be able to put it to use now and throughout your lifetime. It should be renewable and sustainable. You may even pass it on to another if you choose. I only ask you use it wisely and cautiously. It can be very powerful.

I do not intend to be so mysterious. I will tell you what the gift is and what it isn't. It isn't a panacea for all life's woes. But it can be a tool to help cope with whatever struggles and strife life lays at your doorstep and to reach self-improvement goals. It can heighten and enhance all your senses.

So to introduce you to this gift please do a little 'hands-on' experiment with me, if you will. I suggest you do not read these instructions while at work or operating any machinery. Make yourself comfortable if you can.

Place your palms facing each other but not touching. Close your eyes and imagine an energy that originates from your heart and travels outward down your arms to the center of your palms. Feel that energy radiating out of the center of your palms until it becomes an invisible but palpable ball. Gently bounce your palms in and out until you can feel a slight resistance. Imagine shaping and firming up that warm ball of energy. Then keep moving your hands further apart little by little as that ball grows. Keeping that feeling of slight resistance how big can you allow the ball to increase? Can you make it as big as your head? If so, raise the ball over your head and release the energy as you trace around your head and shoulders allowing the energy to wash over you. Feel the calming effect it has on you.

This is your own harvested energy. You can gather it whenever you are feeling overwhelmed or stressed out. Pour it over yourself to renew and refresh yourself. You can also apply it directly to any areas of pain or discomfort to make them feel better.

And now to experience the rest of the gift please make yourself comfortable. Maybe you would like to play some soothing music or peaceful sounds of nature. Nothing harsh or loud so it can help you relax and unwind. You will be effortlessly entering a highly restful and safe state of mind but still be able to respond appropriately should any emergency arise.

Begin to focus on your breathing. Let any background noise fade into a comforting drone. Take deep cleansing breaths allowing your diaphragm to expand downward so your abdomen gently rises. Inhale to the count of five. Hold for a moment. Exhale to the count of five. Slowly in, slowly out. Deep soothing, cleansing breaths. Bringing life giving oxygen in. Purifying every cell. Expelling all harmful toxins or unearned guilt out.

Release all tension as you relax each muscle. Start at the top of your head and imagine each and every muscle group, each individual muscle releasing and relaxing all the way down your body and out the toes. Give special attention to anywhere still holding tight. Give it permission to let go. It is okay to relax and let go. It feels wonderful to finally let all that tension be gone. You are so much happier and feeling free when not encumbered by unproductive tension or worry and can accomplish whatever you set your mind to. You are wise and resourceful and capable.

You are wise and intelligent and know that whatever is in the past is in the past. Whatever happened to you or your ancestors can never control you again if it was harmful. Retain what's beneficial, reject what's detrimental. Enjoy that you have control now and in the future. Control of your thoughts, health and happiness.

It is reassuring to know that your precious imagination can help you experience life in a new way. With your amazing imagination you enter elegant mansions of the mind. Feast on words that nourish, heal and strengthen. Experience sights, sounds, feelings, smells or tastes to the fullest. See the vivid or soft hues of color showcased all around your environment, hear the sweet sounds of birds welcoming the new morn, feel the warmth of the gentle sun on a spring day, smell the allergy-free blossoms bursting forth in all their splendor, smell the tempting cinnamon or pumpkin spice of the season and taste the freshness of a crisp newly harvested apple as you take that first tantalizing bite. Pick your all-time favorites to re-create at will. Add them to your safe, happy place you can visit anytime within your peaceful setting.

As you drift to another level of peaceful relaxation your inner being helps bring about a comfortable, easy change. An easy change in all areas of life. Your mind is a genius and knows exactly the depth of relaxation needed at all times. You have unlimited mental powers for health, wealth, happiness and success.

You have the key to unlock your magnetic, dynamic personality. You enjoy life, with more love and enthusiasm, day by day. A healthy enthusiasm in all you do, think or say. You feel so good, very comfortable and natural in everything you do. All facets of life, very natural and comfortable.

You carry a serene feeling with a new sense of brilliant logic, a happy logic and enthusiasm, so free of all discomfort. You are the master of your thought, words and actions. You view life with enthusiasm, a healthy intuition and an interesting touch of humor. Communication is so very easy.

You retain a clear thinking pattern, while remaining calm and collected, regardless of how traumatic any situation may appear to others. Never egotistical you love life. Life is special and so are you.

If you are feeling drowsy but are not ready for sleep you may easily come back to a fully alert state of mind refreshed and ready to perform flawlessly the rest of your day at the count of five. One; two; three; feeling more alive ready to move about; four and five; fully aware feeling wonderful in every way like you just had a rejuvenating nap and are now prepared for anything.

You can recreate this experience for yourself. So every evening when you are ready for bed repeat to yourself ten times: “Every day in every way I get better and better.” Count down the repetitions on your fingers. Use your imagination to picture yourself improving and succeeding in the areas you desire. Then you may drift into a restful renewing sleep cycle.

And so, my friend, this is the gift I give to you. The rejuvenating gift of healing, nurturing and life changing (if need be) deep, peaceful relaxation. May it always be at you fingertips ready to be put to use.

October 06, 2023 01:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

Chris Miller
10:32 Oct 06, 2023

Gratefully received, Mary.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:22 Oct 06, 2023

Glad you liked it 😊. You're welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:31 Dec 29, 2023

Don't know how I missed this one. Didn't just forget to like it. I checked, and hadn't read it. Amazing story to the prompt. You can hear the gentle aleatoric chimes or tinkling-water-in-a-brook music in the background. Perfect title. Perfect recipe for relaxation.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:05 Dec 29, 2023

Wow! You have been catching up. Thanks for all the likes and comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Ingham
23:44 Oct 25, 2023

This was just what i needed, thankyou.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:32 Oct 26, 2023

Glad you can put it to use. Thanks for the like, comment and follow! I'll follow you so I can catch your first entry. Welcome to Reedsy. I do fall behind on my reading cause I follow a bunch of great writers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
02:04 Oct 20, 2023

Hi Mary! Oh my gosh, so I’m actually reading this piece right before bedtime! So it was such a wonderful story, and it was certainly something that I could take a personal lesson from. I appreciate it, and it went above and beyond the cheesy counting sheep, and creating an environment of peace, which is sometimes hard to do as an adult. Nice work!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:17 Oct 20, 2023

You are really catching up on my stories. So glad you liked this one. Yes we all need to let go sometimes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Haynes
01:33 Oct 13, 2023

Thank you. Interesting. Thought provoking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
20:38 Oct 12, 2023

A very interactive piece this week, I see, and the very opposite of a tense story - by design! An untense one. Taking a moment out of the day to reflect, to breathe, to feel, to be at ease, is a healthy thing. Making it a habit, all the more so. It's not always clear how to do it, but instructions like these can show us the way. Very reminiscent of a number of guided meditations. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hannah Andrews
02:06 Oct 12, 2023

What a nice peaceful meditation. I loved this!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:21 Oct 12, 2023

Glad you liked it. Thanks for the comment and for following.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Meyers
23:11 Oct 11, 2023

Nice rendition of meditation.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Martin Ross
14:26 Oct 11, 2023

This comes at a great time — feeling a good amount of suppressed questioning and stress, and a recent revelation that’s fueled an old resentment all over again. I sleep fine — while back, I was mentally able to compartmentalize my sleep time as time when I’m free from thinking or worrying. But in everyday life, I need to apply your breathing and relaxation/affirmation exercises. Good think/meditation piece, and thanks for offering something that could give many people some much-needed personal peace. I wish I had something to offer in a non-...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:47 Oct 11, 2023

Glad you can use it for healing.☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
12:55 Oct 11, 2023

Namaste! Relax and let go, a happy logic. "Elegant mansions of the mind."

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:44 Oct 11, 2023

Glad you liked it.☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
10:42 Oct 11, 2023

Your story this week was like all the light in the world and mine, all the dark 😳 Mary, this was so lovely. Such a soothing voice. I need to put this on my speechify and listen to it before bed. Great work this week!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:42 Oct 11, 2023

So glad you liked it enough to want to put it to use.😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
00:46 Oct 10, 2023

I found myself breathing more deeply as I finished the story. Well done.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:57 Oct 10, 2023

Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:23 Oct 08, 2023

I was so intrigued by the first few lines, and the more I read, the relaxed I was becoming. Thank you for the reminder to reset! <3

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:05 Oct 08, 2023

Glad it could benefit you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
12:19 Oct 08, 2023

Ahhhhhh, mediations with Mary, some great life lessons in there >>> Retain what's beneficial, reject what's detrimental. I will keep that one close.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:16 Oct 08, 2023

So glad you liked it and found something beneficial in it😁.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
12:02 Oct 08, 2023

Thanks Mary! You write from your big heart, and as always the results are inspirational!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:15 Oct 08, 2023

What a nice positive comment. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
00:41 Oct 08, 2023

Very positive. I especially like the "It is reassuring to know..." paragraph.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:17 Oct 08, 2023

Glad you enjoyed my stories, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:02 Oct 07, 2023

We all need more peaceful relaxation! Thank you!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:34 Oct 07, 2023

Thanks for liking and the nice comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
20:44 May 04, 2024

What an incredible gift! It's like tapping into your own inner well of energy and peace. Visualizing it feels so empowering, almost like creating a personal sanctuary amidst life's chaos. And going through that relaxation journey sounds soothing, like a gentle wave washing away all the stress and tension. It's amazing how our minds can be trained to access such deep states of relaxation and renewal. The idea of unlocking our inner potential and facing life with clarity and enthusiasm is inspiring. And the reminder to focus on self-improvemen...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:43 May 04, 2024

Thank you and you are welcome.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.