0 comments

Romance

His phone dinged, announcing her message, ‘Sorry, I’m a bit late, I got hung up at the office,’

And not two seconds later, ‘I’m just around the corner,’. He tugged nervously at the neck of his caramel brown hoodie, ran his fingers through his hair, and checked his reflection in the window of the coffee shop. He smiled warmly at the girl at the counter, after accidentally making awkward eye contact. 

“Dax? Right?” There was now a second reflection, just behind his left shoulder. His friend has sent him a picture but he had only glanced at it because he really didn’t even want to go on the date. It was more like he had strong armed him into it. It just didn’t seem fair to him to get involved with a girl when he was so focused on his career. So he really wasn’t expecting the lovely girl in front of him. She had dark brown hair, with subtle warm highlights, deep and curious blue eyes, rosy cheeks and lips. She wore cropped slacks, with tasteful black pumps, and the sleeves rolled up on a plum and white striped button down. Cute, he thought with a small smile. 

“It’s a beautiful day,” he said softly, “why don’t we walk around the park with our coffees?” It turned into your typical game of twenty questions. They had everything in common; books, tv, places they’ve traveled, hobbies, exercising. The conversation always stalled. “Oh yeah, I’ve read that already too.” Or, “I’ve been there before, it wasn’t that great.” 

It’s not that she wasn’t nice, just not exceptional to him, she deserved someone who could truly be in awe of her successes, intelligence and beauty. 

And he could tell that she was seemingly less and less impressed by him as well. 

She checked her phone, looking at the picture of the handsome man her coworker finally snagged her a date with. She couldn’t stop thinking about him since he showed up at their office almost a year ago, to get lunch with their mutual friend. She dreamed of running her fingers through and messing up his perfectly coiffed hair, undoing his tie, slowly working through the buttons of his shirt. He was pure sex, and surely the excitement she needed in her life. 

She ran up to the coffee shop as quickly as she could in her heels, eagerly looking for the intriguing business man. Her friend had warned her that her grew a mustache, which wasn't quite to her taste, but she’s pretty open minded. 

The only person that vaguely resembled the man in her mind, was this scruffy looking boy in a brown hoodie and jeans. He wasn’t even wearing nice shoes, they were just plain, gray, slip on deck shoes. And his hair wasn’t slicked back, it was fluffy. 

“Yeah, you must be Sloane?” He responded. 

She spent the next half hour trying to pry conversation from his lackluster soul. Every question she asked was met with a disinterested tone. It was filling her with contempt. She wasn’t vain enough to simply dislike him because of his outward appearance, but how could he possibly make for an exciting relationship? She contemplated just ending the date right there, but that seemed a bit harsh to her. 

They finally came to rest on a park bench, just underneath an oak tree who’s leaves were starting to turn. She watched him nervously fidget with a small twig, as she tried to force more conversation. 

“Sloane—,” he interjects at one point, “I’m sorry, you are... amazing, really, but I have to be honest, I just don’t think I’m looking for something right now.” 

The rejection caught her by surprise. And the pedestal she had put him on so long ago came crumbling down. She stood up abruptly, smoothing her pants, “Well, it was still very nice to meet you. But I’ll be heading out then, pass me your coffee cup, I’ll throw it out for you.” 

Their fingers grazed each other’s as the cup transferred hands and unlike she had imagined a million times she felt no spark. There was just this cute, shy boy nervously standing before her. She softened her expression, a sudden warmth spreading through her, “If you ever want to just grab coffee and chat though, I’m never opposed to making new friends.”

He smiled genuinely for the first time that day. And unfortunately for her, it blew her away. This wasn’t the suave, sexy man she thought she was signing up for, but he did awaken a part of her she never even knew she had. 

“I think I’d like that,” he said, relieved. He had no intentions of hurting her feelings. He took her beauty in again, she seemed less intimidating now. Strong, but gentle. 

He still wasn’t ready for a relationship, but something about this girl, changed his view on the world. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to have a really good friend by your side. He watched her walk away, and they waved to each other as she reached the park’s exit. He let out a sigh in relief, he could peacefully go home now. No hard feelings.

His phone dinged later that evening as he was just getting home. ‘How did the date go?’ It was his friend, nosy as ever. He left him on read for a while as he went through his routines of tidying his apartment, thinking of how to succinctly respond. 

‘She was very nice, just not my type,’ he tapped back. 

‘I don’t even think you have a type lol,’ his friend responded immediately. 

That may be true he thought, as he curled up on his sofa, already in his pajamas, with a snack and a book. He found himself pawing through social media on his phone, instead of being able to concentrate on the novel. Curiosity got the best of him, and he tried to find Sloane’s profile. 

He smiled at the most recent picture posted. A cup of tea, a box of cookies, a cozy blanket over an inviting lap. The same book that he was reading. 

August 24, 2020 21:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.