A Heartwarming Read.

Written in response to: Write a love story without using the word “love.”... view prompt

14 comments

Teens & Young Adult Romance Coming of Age

The day I met him, my heart fell out of my chest, butterflies swarmed my stomach by the thousands, my mind whirled in a state of euphoria and my eyes were glued to his figure.

It was the day I met my forever soulmate.

He was my co-worker in a start-up tech business company named Zer0, and we were introduced to each other by our boss, for I had just joined their big family.

A few months after working, I was elected as Female Team-Project Leader or FTPL and he was elected Male Team-Project Leader or MTPL.

We kept working together, finishing reports, meeting clients, hunting for investors, searching for sponsors, going to business seminars, having group meetings, inquiring new ideas and much more.

We were always the ones that were voted by the rest of our office to go to many events, and we had visited Bali, Maldives, Saint Lucia, British Virgin Islands, Tahiti, Mexico, New London, Australia, and many more.

As we kept meeting each other everyday doing much business that is needed to keep our company, Zer0, alive and running, our conversations started getting more and more serious, until one day, he asked me out. On a date.

I agreed, blushing and happy, and he smiled. That night, I still remember very clearly, I wore a simple, milk-brown dress, white sneakers, a sunflower charm bracelet, and a little bow to finish it off. For a bag, I wore

My hair was partly clipped at the back and my face had only a dab of powder, a stroke of a blush brush, a touch of lipstick and a misty spray of slightly glittery liquid that was also quite fragrant. My perfume was Blue Moon, a very enchanting bottle of scent I purchased from Miniso.

He wore a grey t-shirt underneath a black leather jacket. His hand was adorned with a few rings. His hair was left as it usually was, and he smelled like Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò perfume, and his shoes were a black Nike.

His wallet was tucked into the right pocket of his jeans and he looked so simply handsome that way.

We went to a 24-hour dinner and, I still remember, I ordered a chocolate milkshake, a hot dog, and small fries. He ordered a vanilla milkshake, a cheeseburger and large fries with a side of pickles. We chatted and laughed, and slowly fell for each other without realising it.

After that, we went on many more dates, and one faithful evening, he went down on one knee and said, ''My dear, Felicity Antoinétte, daughter of Marie Antoinétte and Frankly Barron, you are the butter to my knife, the bee to my hive, the heart to my life. Will you, Felicity Barron Antoinétte, make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?''

Tears fell from my brown eyes, as I clasped a hand over my mouth and looked down at him, saying with perfectly honest conviction, ''Yes, I will, oh, I will!''

He slid a beautifully simple golden ring on the third finger from the thumb on my left hand, lifted me into his arms, and kissed me, for the first time, as his fiancé.

A few months after this charming engagement of I and he, we married. The marriage ceremony was delightful and intimate, with only friends from work and close family.

We are now a happily wedded couple, and I'm four months pregnant with a baby girl. My husband is now the co-owner of Zer0 and we earn a steady amount for our small but happy home.

Along with marriage, there comes arguments, fights, disagreements and many more, but never forget the happy memories, times, moments, and the fact that being tied eternally for life to someone can not only be hard but be amazing too.

Together, you can learn, fight, teach, find out, and just generally live with each other and that's where life's most important lesson stands, how to get along with someone, especially your spouse and children.

A Poem for the Couples on Earth:

Deep in each's heart,

Lies a magic spark,

When the world falls apart,

And when the light turns to dark,

Your spouse is your hero,

Your children are your guardians,

They'll protect you to the morrow,

And will, for you, fight martians.

Family is a unique key,

A tie, a bond,

Mother, a hive, the others, swarming bees,

For this life and beyond.

Father stands tall and fair,

But sometimes his back is bent,

From sitting too long in a chair,

From work he came and went.

Brother helps you through,

Dark and dust and rain,

He cheers you up when you are blue,

And when you are in pain.

Sister, confide your secrets,

And the little fancies,

Tell her all your angst and regrets,

And she'll listen to your rant about fancy nancys.

Grandma, the one who bakes your favourite cookies,

The one who makes you laugh and cry,

Always gifting goodies,

Her stories make listening worthwhile.

Grandpa, who's never to old,

To carry you on his shoulders,

Even though not possessed of gold,

For you, he's willing to heave boulders.

Your aunt, who buys you dolls,

And carry you around,

Past fields and tolls,

All through the town.

Uncle John, always giving you chocolate drops,

And your wooden toys of yours came from he,

Brings thou to many shops,

And as busy as a bee!

Every single one,

Has a golden heart,

With you, always having fun.

And let death never do us part!

The end.

A huge thank you to my family, starting frmo my grandmas, to my grandpas, my uncles, my aunts, my sisters, my brothers, my cousins, my friends, my mum and dad. Wherever you are now, my lovely relatives, I send you my good wishes and hope you are doing well, for when we will be gone? Only time can tell.

P.S. This story was partly inspired by my wonderful family and even though I haven't and can't get a spouse yet, for I'm still twelve, I am very happy and satisfied with the people I have around me now.

February 11, 2024 09:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

16:36 Apr 25, 2024

You're twelve? Dang, I'm thirteen...Your stories are really good...You should read some of mine, maybe. I think we could be friends, maybe even work on stuff like this together?

Reply

Naya Putryansyah
05:33 Apr 26, 2024

Wow. Hi, Penelope. I'll be more than glad to be friends with you. If so, let me introduce myself. I'm Naya Putryansyah, twelve years old, and I currently reside in Gayo Lues, Aceh, Indonesia. I was born in Bogor, but moved to Aceh, the other side of Indonesia, when I was three. I've been an avid writer ever since I was 9, but I started posting on Reedsy just last year. I'm also a guitar player, and play the acoustic and electric guitar. I also like baking cookies as a hobby. You can tell me more about yourself, and we can talk through the...

Reply

21:56 Apr 26, 2024

Wow, of course! I think we'd be very successful as book partners! I am Penelope Caldwell, a resident of Holden, Missouri in the US. I speak fourteen languages and I am also learning Indonesian, although some of the phrases get mixed up in my head. I've also started writing from a young age and I enjoy listening to K-pop. I play the clarinet, bass clarinet, and bassoon. I have a guitar but I don't know how to play it, so it's cool that you can! I love baking cookies as well and I'd love to exchange numbers. Here's the link to my new book: h...

Reply

Naya Putryansyah
04:06 Apr 29, 2024

Woah, Penelope! Fourteen languages, that's out of my mind!!! I can't believe it, because I also have dreams of being a polyglot. I can speak Indonesian, English and am just starting to learn French. I've also learned a bit of Japanese, but I gave it up after a few weeks, but will reconsider starting to learn it again. Maybe, I can help you with your Indonesian, but it's actually called 'Bahasa'. I'll read your story, but how do you think we can exchange numbers? Do you have Instagram, by any chance? You can DM me at @eduna.id on Instagram ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naya Putryansyah
04:16 Apr 29, 2024

Another reply here, sorry if I might be nagging you. But, I just read your story Magic After Midnight. Wow, wow, wow, it's mindblowing, superb, awesome. The way you picture and describe an aching heart that suddenly turns 360 degrees 'round and becomes a totally changed blossoming heart, I can't even say- I'm just speechless. As I read it, I sympathised with Cora, and as Cora longed for Raine, I did too. That means you have succeeded, in bringing the reader into the story. Also, how did you use that Reedsy thing. What do I use and how can I...

Reply

15:27 Apr 29, 2024

Hey, Naya. I would totally like for you to learn Japanese again, even if it's not the letters. (I can't do the letters either, it's hard.) And Korean is cool too. But it's awesome that you're learning French, it's hard for me. And I'd definitely like help with Indonesian, Duolingo didn't tell me that it's called Bahasa! I will totally DM you, and we can exchange numbers there if you think that's possible. I'd also like to make cookies together, that sounds amazing. And thank you for your feedback on my work in progress! I felt it was a bit ...

Reply

Naya Putryansyah
08:26 Apr 30, 2024

Haha, yes, Japanese Hiragana and Katakana is so hard. But, I also wanna start to learn Mandarin, because my references told me that Japanese follows the Chinese letters in a way.. French is quite easy, actually, and I can master the pronunciation of some French songs, like Aux Champs Elysees, and Sous Le Ciel De Paris by Pomplamoose, Le Festin by Disney, L'amour Les Baguettes Paris by Stella Jang, who's a Korean polyglot, and last but not least, La Mer, by Chantal Chamberland.

Reply

Show 1 reply
15:36 Apr 29, 2024

Okay, I found a way to access your bookshelf. On the top right of your Reedsy home screen, hover over the arrow next to your profile picture and name. The arrow should point down, and click the setting that says "Account settings". Then it should say "Edit profile." below that, it says "Reedsy apps." Click that and scroll down to the marketplace. Launch marketplace and click the tab that says "Books." It should have an option where you can add a book. Also just figured out it's pretty early for you! Good morning!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.