0 comments

Fiction Inspirational Kids

"All right, class. This is the last day of the semester so how shall we end it."

"Let's have a party!" someone in the back of the room yells.

"Much as I would love to I am afraid we can't. Anybody for math?"

Nobody.....

"How about a geography trip?"

Nobody again.....

"Not science," Davey yells. "That gets too gross."

"How about boys," suggests Veronica.

The class laughs.

"No, not boys. Let me ask you a question. I know you are only fifth graders but do any of you have a hobby?"

Several hands go up.

"Jamie?"

"What's a hobby?"

"Actually a good question. A hobby is something you do just for fun. For example my father collected stamps. If I had sold it after my father died it would have brought a good price. But I chose to keep it for now even though I had no interest in stamps...except to mail a letter."

"Walter. You had your hand up."

"So do you have a hobby, Miss McGee?"

"I collect post cards and pins. Yes, Karen."

"Why pens? Pencils you can erase any mistakes you make."

"Thank you, Karen. Not writing pens, pins, like this one on my lapel. So many people collect them now you can get them almost anywhere for almost anything. And the post cards, I buy one with a state map on them for every state I have visited. I keep all the post cards people send me as well as post cards from national parks I have visited. So who has a hobby and it doesn't have to be collecting something.?

Four hands are raised.

"Tommy."

"I collect baseball cards."

"Why did you choose to collect baseball cards?"

"My dad says it I collect until I graduate high school I could sell it then to help pay for college."

"That's good. Hobbies can be for jun and profit. Mary."

"I collect barbid dolls and their stuff."

"Any particular reason?"

"No, just for fu I guess."

"Keep them in good condition and in twenty years or so they could be worth a pretty penny. Darla."

"I'm taking painting lessons so I can paint famous pictures like Monet or Picasso."

"That is admirable but just so you know many artists only became famous after they had died."

Laughter.

"Johnny."

"Not sure if this is a real hobby or not but I have been working on my family tree."

"Indeed that is a hobby. There are a lot of people who work on their family tree. You can even pay people to help you so you can work on your own tree for free and help someone else for profit. So have you found anyone famous>"

"No, Miss, I..."

"Those are four very interesting hobbies. So it is easy to understand why Tommy collects baseball cards and that would be a great reason for someone to start that type of collection. The barbies could help for the same reason or just for fun. And painting...you could paint one picture that becomes famous right away or hundreds that someone finds in your attic after you die and then you become famous. A joke, Darla. Listen to people and paint what you hear they want. Now, Johnny."

"Yes, Miss."

"Come up here and tell us why we should take up working on our family tree."

Reluctantly Johnny walks to the front of the class.

"Where should I start, Miss?"

"Well, tell us why you became interested in your family tree...actually first tell the class what is a family tree."

"Let's see. I began with me; my name, birthdate and where I was born. Next was my dad and his parents. Then my mom and her parents. I have everyone's birthday, where they were born, wedding date and where they were married. I have the obituary for my grandpa on mom's side. It actually told me quite a bit so I was able to add grandpa's parents, brothers and sister. It told me he was born in Texas but died in Georgia."

"Do you know what you, your father and grandfather would be?"

"Family."

"Yes, Johnny, but on your family tree each of you represent a generation. Thank you, Johnny. You may be seated."

Johnny returns to his seat.

"Johnny has inspired me. I think it would be a great idea if we all started our own family tree with what wwe know. Then if you want to keep going it could be great fun. So let's all take out a couple sheets of paper and let's do this in pencil in case we make a mistake."

Johnny raises his hand.

"I know you already know yours..."

"No, Miss. You didn't let me tell you why I think everyone should do their tree and what really got me interested."

"Okay, Johnny. Go ahead."

"First we need to know about our past so we can understand ourselves or understand why we are short or tall; know where we come from to understand some of the family rituals. Second you may find cousins you did not know you had.

"I had been hearing storied at family gatherings about my great-great-great grandfather who fought in the Civil War. He lost his arm at some battle. The arm was butied on the battlefield and he was sent home. I wanted to know what great battle that was."

"Have you found out yet?"

"Not yet, Miss."

"That is something else you may find; military men or women in the family, doctors, lawyers, farmers...what they died from to understand family health issues.

"So everyone should have their name, birthday and place of birth written down. Next you add your parents."

The class writes what them can to get their tree started.

"Now our time is almost up so I want you to take this start home, get your parents to help you if they can, and bring it back after break. Maybe we will have some celebrities in our trees."

So in the class discussion of hobbies, Johnny inspired his teacher and his teacher tried to inspire the class.

Any celebrities?

Stay tuned.

January 26, 2021 19:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.