Emerald and the Woodland Creatures

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a fairy tale about someone who can communicate with woodland creatures.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

Deep in the forest in a little cottage lived a fair lady with golden hair , green eyes and a name that means a gem. Emerald is her name. She loves the forest and all the creatures that live their including the one with glowing eyes and sharp fangs.

Owls, foxes, deers, squirrels, bears, birds, rabbits, moose and raccoons live happily in the forest with Emerald, all but one. The unhappiest of the creatures is one they call wolf. He among them is feared through out the forest.

Emerald is not afraid of the wolf. She loves all creatures, but the one they call wolf hunts the forest. The wolf hunts the forest at all times of the day and night. The night is his favorite time to hunt when all creatures are sleeping. Emerald knows when the wolf is awake for she hears him speaking. Emerald says "Mr. Wolf I hear you and your menacing words."

Emerald wakes up to the sound of birds chirping, the prancing of deer, the hoofs of the moose, the pitter patter of the rabbits. Emerald goes outside to see her friends standing in front of her cottage.

The owl, the wisest of them all calls to Emerald. Emerald looks up and says "Mr. Owl you speak to me." The wise owl flies down from the tree, he lands on a rock and says to Emerald "yes my fair lady for I have urgent news to tell you." Emerald sits on the ground and listen to the wise owl.

"My fair lady with the name of a gem. We have been menaced by a terrible creature who has glowing eyes and sharp fangs. He calls himself wolf. All creatures of the forest big and small live in fear of the wolf. We cannot go out alone for fear the wolf would attack us. My fair lady with the name of a gem you are our last resort."

Emerald sits their wide eye at the wise owl for she did not know the wolf is a menace.

"Oh wise owl and my creatures of the forest. I listen to the wolf at night. I hear his words, but I did not know the wolf is a menace to you all. Tell me what has the wolf done to you all."

Each of the creatures comes up to Emerald and tells Emerald the story of the wolf being a menace. First up is the family of foxes.

"My fair lady with the name of a gem. I am lady fox. My three pups who stand behind me are being menaced by the wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs when they go out to play. My pups comes to me scared the wolf is going to eat them. My pups are innocent my fair lady and they don't deserve this."

Emerald has tears in her eyes listening to lady fox.

"Lady fox no one in this beautiful forest should be treated with such disgrace."

The family of deers tells Emerald what the wolf has done to Menace them.

"My fair lady with the name of a gem. I am Alfi and these are my family of deer. We love to graze in the forest we call home. The wolf comes into our home with glowing eyes and sharp fangs menacing my family and threatening to eat them. my family is innocent my fair lady and do not deserve this."

Emerald said to Alfi.

"What kind of monster is the wolf threatening a beautiful family such as yours Alfi."

The squirrel Brucie is next to tell Emerald what the wolf has done to menace him.

"My fair lady with the name of a gem. I am Brucie the squirrel. I am a small creature who loves to run from tree to tree. The wolf with his glowing eyes and sharp fangs has been chasing me when ever I run from tree to tree. I am innocent and I do not deserve this my fair lady."

Emerald sits next to Brucie and says to him.

"My fair Brucie. You don't deserve what has been done to you. You deserve to run from tree to tree freely."

Nyx the bear is next to tell Emerald what the wolf has done to menace her.

"My fair lady with the name of a gem. I am Nyx the bear and these are my cubs. I am big yet gentle creature and so are my cubs. The wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs has come into my cave scaring my cubs and chasing my cubs all over. my cubs are afraid to go out and play. My cubs are innocent and do not deserve what has been done to them my fair lady."

Emerald goes to Nyx's and says.

"Oh Nyx you are a gentle creature and your cubs are beautiful and playful. Your cubs do not deserve to be menace by the wolf."

Fay the bird is next to tell Emerald what the wolf has done to menace her.

"My fair lady with the name of a gem. I am Fay the bird. I love to soar in the sky. yet when wings are tired I like to rest. The wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs has come to my resting place and eyes me then he pounces on me. I fly away out of reach of the wolf. My fair lady I am innocent and I do not deserve this."

Emerald stands up and goes to Fay.

My beautiful Fay. You are a wonder and a treasure. No you do not deserve this."

Jinx the rabbit is next to tell Emerald what the wolf has done to menace him.

My fair lady with the name of a gem. I am jinx the rabbit. I love to run around in the forest I call home freely. The wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs is hunting me for pleasure. I am afraid to leave my home for fear the wolf would hurt me. My fair lady I am innocent and I do not deserve this."

Emerald sits next to Jinx.

"My beautiful Jinx. You do not deserve to be hunted for pleasure. You are beautiful."

Nixie the moose is next to tell Emerald what the wolf has done to menace her.

"My fair lady with the name of a gem. I am Nixie the moose. I love the forest I call home. The wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs from a distance tells me I look delicious then I must taste delicious. I am terrified the wolf is going to eat me. My fair lady I am innocent and I do not deserve this."

Emerald goes to Nixie and tells her.

"My dear Nixie you are lovely and does not deserve to be eaten."

Raisa the raccoon is next to tell Emerald what the wolf has done to menace her.

"My fair lady with the name of a gem. I am Raisa the raccoon. I love to run around in the forest I call home. Lately I have been sensing that I'm being watched. The wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs is watching me and threatening me that I should stop running freely. My fair lady I am innocent and do deserve this."

Emerald sits next to Raisa.

"My dear Raisa you go run freely in the forest that is your home. To you my dear creatures of the forest ones I happily call friends. Do not worry about the wolf for I will confront him and tell him to stop menacing you."

Emerald goes back to her cottage grabs her bag and heads for the wolf's lair. Emerald is going to confront the wolf.

Emerald waves goodbye to her friends. Emerald heads into the forest she loves. Emerald sees the forest is different. There is no life in the forest, the animals are not out having fun and this is because of the wolf. Emerald is not happy and blames the wolf.

Emerald is at the wolf's lair. She calls for the wolf.

"Wolf come out you menace. You have tormented my friends for the last time."

The wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs comes out.

"Who dares calls me out?"

"It is I Emerald with name of a gem. I have come here to call you to stop tormenting my friends."

The wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs sees Emerald standing in front of him. Emerald doesn't move. She stands face to face with the wolf.

In a loud voice Emerald tells the wolf.

"STOP MENACING MY FRIENDS OF THE FOREST!"

Emerald hits the wolf on the nose. The wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs growls at Emerald. Emerald doesn't move.

Emerald does something unexpected. She kisses the wolf on his head. The wolf backs away.

"Why have you kissed me?"

Emerald tells the wolf.

"All creatures of the forest deserve to be treated with kindness including you wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs."

The wolf sits down and tells Emerald.

My name is Kalen and you my fair lady with the name of a gem are the first one to treat me with kindness."

Emerald sits next to Kalen.

"My dear Kalen you are my friend, but now you must make amends with the rest of the creatures of the forest. Come with me Kalen it is your turn to be kind."

Emerald and Kalen go back to Emerald's cottage where she left her friends and where Kalen is going to make amends.

Mr. Owl is the first one to see Emerald.

"My fair lady you have returned."

All the animals are happy to see Emerald has returned safely. They see Emerald has returned with the wolf, they all scamper away.

"My dear friends come out you have no need to be afraid. The wolf with glowing eyes and sharp fangs is name Kalen. He has something to say to you all."

One by one the forest creatures come out.

'Kalen go on say what you have to say."

Kalen speaks to the forest creatures.

"Dear forest creatures. I am here with our fair lady with the name of a gem who has shown me kindness to ask for your forgiveness. For scaring you all and threatening to do you harm. I only wish to be your friend."

Each one of the forest creatures comes up to Kalen and forgives him for what he has done.

Emerald and her friends welcome Kalen into their family. From here and forever Emerald and the forest creatures live happily ever after.

March 23, 2021 20:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.