Was it funny or you had other intentions?

Written in response to: Start your story with the line, “You wanna do something fun?”... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Drama Teens & Young Adult

You wanna do something fun? Was the only question that I wanted to hear from anyone at my new college? And it happened to be coming from the coolest boy in the campus and of cause who would resist the only opportunity. Without thinking twice, I just nodded my head as a sign of agreeing to the offer I was eagerly waiting for, the past 3 months I was at Shoko College. To be honest transferring to Shoko College was the most miserable experience I had in my whole life. It happened that my Father passed away during my seventh grade due to a short illness, so I was supposed to start my college in Mtoko a city which was almost 100 km away from the city where we had grown up in. Since I was not as bright as others, I could not find a place in most of the Colleges which were nearby so I ended up being left with one decision which was Shoko College.

Shoko College was one of the worst Colleges where you can meet different characters mostly notorious one as parents used it as a dumping site for most of the children that proved to be uncontrollable. So being in such a community where fights, hatred and other unacceptable behaviours where mostly found at the back yard was not easy. For me I was used to a soft life where everyone minds his/her business, where everyone was treated politely, this place was not for me. The school opened on the 24th of January 2020 and as a first year student, I was very curious of meeting new friends, and being in a new environment. In my mind I thought that everything was supposed to be flowing smoothly, yet it was only an imagination which never comes to reality. The struggle started the first day when I was dropped by Aunty Mila. It was like I was lead to a slaughter as an offering. The senior students came to our rooms and gave us an orientation which almost ended my liking for College, I almost surrendered but there was no one to give you a chance to do so. We started by marching, doing slogans and all the military drills which were demonstrated by the elder brothers. Failure to do a single drill or slogan was awarded a punishment which I related to as a death penalty.

Although the lecturers knew about such behaviours around the campus they never bothered to take any action, it seemed as if they supported what was happening. As soft as I was I was so traumatized to the extent of being afraid even to wake up and face each day that comes.  Making friends was harder as everyone sister Beaven as they referred to my character and body structure to be weak and lady like. Each and every lunch I would take my food and find a lonely place where I would go sit by myself away from all the drama that was around me. So when this elder brother asked me if I wanted to do something fun, I thought my life had taken a u-turn and it was high time I enjoyed.

Spring was the coolest boy at the campus, he was part of the chess team and people used to associate chess with being genius, so he had a group of friends and everyone at school would make way for them as messing with them was a great war which would not end easily. So getting a moment to have fun with them was the only opportunity which I had so that I become famous at school. Little did I know that this was going to end in tears? I quickly carried my bag followed the boys and spent the day with them following every order I was given, if they said lets go even if you do not want to you just go without asking where. For a moment I felt like a man around those boys.

A meeting was scheduled for 9:30pm at the backyard of the campus, and I was supposed to be there in time as they said that is when the fun is going to happen, for a person who hadn’t had fun for a long period, this was a time I had been waiting for.  When the time came Spring came with a huge plastic bag which was wrapped so that no one can see what is inside the plastic unless you tear away the wrapper. The bag was handed over to me and I was given also a note which had an address. The only instructions give was to deliver the package without failure and failure to do so was going to cost me a lot which included my tuition and my peace at the campus. As a person who could not stand for himself I was only given the survival skills which I was supposed to use in order to escape the school yard without being noticed.

With my package in my backpack, I took the bus, managed to find the place and as soon as I entered into the house, I was quickly knocked off by the officers. It happened that there was an operation which was happening in the neighbourhood, a drug search was being conducted in homes of the suspects and here I was with a package that I was not sure of what was inside.  I was at the wrong place, with the wrong people at the wrong time. When I was being interrogated, I stammered and stammered as I was not even aware of what exactly was supposed to be said which made sense. Spring and the other boys denied that they were the ones who had sent me, instead they insisted that I was the one who wanted to recruit them and they refused. It ended that with an arrested for drug trafficking and that was the end of me. Here in the jail, thinking of what exactly the fun that I wanted to get. Is there another meaning of the word fun I misunderstood or was it the actual fun they were referring to when they asked me if I wanted to do something fun? What happened happened and that was the end of me before I even started life.

October 02, 2021 17:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.