0 comments

Drama Fiction Teens & Young Adult

“Hope you haven’t forgotten about the party?” Taylor asked.

“What party?” Rachel asked in return.

“Don't tell me you’ve forgotten so soon?”

“l can't remember. Please could you remind me?”

“The one I told you about holding at Lé Chanteur hotel.”

“Oh! Oh! Now I remember. That hotel with palm trees.”

“Yeah! It’s coming up In a fortnight time.”

“Can I go some other time? I have a project I’m working on. It’s going to take that length of time.”

“Come on! It’s taking place on a weekend. Saturday precisely.”

“Yeah! The project it’s going to take my weekends. Even that’s when I'll have more time for it.”

“Come on! It’s a time for you to unwind. Let go off the stress of the week. Let go off the pressure of the week and a time to stay off your time-demanding project. Exhale!”

“Ok! Have heard you. I’ll try.”

“No. Not you’ll try. You will.”

“No. I said I'll try to put in an appearance.”

“Ok. At least try is better than a NO.”

“Hmmm.”

“Call you later. Bye.”

“Yeah. Bye.”

Taylor wasn’t surprised that Rachel had forgotten about the party. She’s such a workaholic, a career girl. She barely has time for other diversions. It’s always a tug of war between them getting her off her horse. Taylor always wonder what had kept their friendship for this long. They’re such opposites. Disparate dispositions. While she loves to work, she also loves having fun. She also enjoys travelling and sightseeing. The last summer vacation was a memorable one. She had never been to such a place before. There were so many fascinating scenes. She calls them, ‘wonder views'. It was a tussle for her to get Rachel to go with her. She had a thousand and one excuses. She had a roll call of duties. She didn’t want to go alone neither did she want to go with her boyfriend. Moreover, she just called it quits with him. Trevor was choking her. Although charming and caring, he was too possessive. She had to persuade Rachel to go with her which she finally oblige to. At the end, she was glad she eventual agreed to.

Rachel just arrived from work. It had been hectic. This was the season of the year where they always had a barrage of requests to attend to. They call it the peak period. She was about to take a shower and hop in bed when her phone rang.

“Hello!”

“Yeah! Hello Rachel!”

“Oh! Mum!”

“Yeah! It’s me.”

“Mum, how are you doing? How’s dad?”

“I’m fine. Your dad is fine too.”

“Hope dad has been taking his medications?”

“Yeah, he actually has. I always make sure he does.”

“Hmmm, My once energetic and enthusiastic dad has been slowed down.”

“Oh! Dear, your dad is now a shadow of his former self. He was so negligent and now it’s taking a toll on him.”

“Mum! Don’t talk about my dad like that. He'll get better soon.”

“Yeah! I’m hopeful.” She clears her throat. “Ok Rachel.”

“Mum, what is it? I’m tired. Have had a hectic day. I want to have a shower and go to bed.”

“Please can you accompany me to the mall. I'd want to get some wares and I know you know the right ones for me to choose.”

“When?”

“Next two Saturdays.”

“Oh! I have an engagement for that day,” Rachel spoke faintly.

“Oh! What engagement?”

“Nothing much. I'll go with you.”

“No. I’m curious. What engagement? Please tell me.”

“No. It’s Taylor.”

“Oh! Taylor. What happened to her?

“Nothing at all. She just wants me to accompany her to a party.”

“Yeah! That’s nice. I love that. It will help you unwind. At least take some time off this your busy as a bee schedule.”

“Mum!”

“So you were trying to avoid going that’s why you said you'll accompany me. Mine can wait.”

“How about if I choose not to go? Huh?”

“Please don’t. Please help yourself. Ok?”

“Ok. I'll try.”

“Yeah! Bye dear”

“Bye mum.”

Three days to the day, Taylor called to remind her. Rachel was angry. She complained that Taylor was on her neck and was terribly stifling her. Taylor never worried. She knew her to be like that. At the end she was always appreciative.

At the eventual day, Taylor went to Rachel’s place and they both went there together. They had never been to Lé Chanteur hotel. Right from the entrance, they were captivated with the view. It was one of the fairly new hotels around. It was indeed a fun time. They were varieties of drinks and food. You just choose the one you want. Rachel didn’t much of dance. She wasn’t a good dancer. The highlight of the evening was the questions and answers section.

“I have eight questions to ask and anyone that gets at least three correct gets two tickets to the premiere of the movie, ‘Made for This'.”

Everyone shouted. “Wow”.

Rachel has seen the preview of the movie. She was dying to see the movie. She loves the characters in the movie. They were not popular faces. Having a ticket to attend the premiere was more than a wonder for her.

“Please, if you know the answer just raise a hand. Don't raise your hand if you are not sure of the answer. A wrong answer automatically cancels a right one answered previously,” the moderator warned.

At the end of the eighth question, there was a tie between Rachel and a man. He looked like a bibliophile. He wore glasses that looked a bit oversized.

“I can see there’s a tie here. I’m going to break the tie with this one last question,” the moderator said. “Complete this quote, ‘Don’t despair, it might be...”

Rachel raised her hand first and answered, “ ‘It might be the last key in the bunch that will open the door'.”

The moderator shouted, “Yes!”

Everyone there shouted and clapped. It was a thunderous ovation. It was a momentous occasion for her. She was the cynosure of all eyes.


May 15, 2021 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.