2 comments

African American Black Christmas

Amy wanted to go on this skiing trip. She really did. So why? Why was she cursed with bad luck?

“Amy?” Sandy asked, slowing to a stop in front of the downed black girl, her pink hat askew and lost somewhere beside her. “Y’all alright?”

Right. . .she hadn’t moved yet. Mostly because she plowed directly into her crush coming down the mountain. Brian. He had smooth dark skin and a megawatt smile that made Amy’s heart do somersaults and currently. . .currently she was on top of him in a post haste attempt to stop herself from getting injured.

“I’m-I’m fine,” she squeaked, moving to stand and help Brian up. 

“That was some fall,” Brian mumbled, wiping down his coat of snow. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Amy nodded, her face warming as Brian took his scarf off and wrapped it around her instead. 

“Well,” Sandy started, her brown eyes looking between them with a teasing grin. “We were just about to head back to the cabin,” she continued, turning her attention to the pink-haired girl.

Amy nodded again, watching Sandy walk off to rejoin her husband, Sydney. Amy turned towards Brian, suddenly nervous as she spoke, “Do you, uh, want to get a drink?” she asked, fingering his scarf as she buried her cold nose in it.

“Sure,” Brian replied, flashing that megawatt smile. He held out his hand for her to take, squeezing it briefly as Amy took it.

Maybe going on this trip was worth it.

Amy laid awake that night, staring at the ceiling as the wind howled outside. She and Brian did end up getting warm apple cider together and generally talking about life. How Brian’s skating career was finally taking off and how Amy’s job in tech finally gave her some relief with this free trip. 

Sandy and Sydney tagged along since she had extra tickets and didn’t want them to go to waste. It wasn’t something a group of 20-somethings with jobs did on a regular basis and she might as well invite her friends so they would get a break from work and their children. 

The trip continued with the ski resort nearly losing power due to a sudden snowstorm and Brian being trapped in Amy’s room. Thankfully, the generator kicked in before things got too dire.

“So,” Brian started, leaning into Amy’s space as she wrapped three blankets tighter around herself. “You gonna share?”

“Oh. . .oh, I’m sorry, here,” Amy replied, opening her cocoon of blankets to reveal her pink flannel pajamas beneath. 

Brian swallowed, looking up as the lights flickered before cuddling up beside Amy. She closed the cocoon around them, rubbing Brian’s arms to warm them and feeling muscle underneath his thin shirt.

“You should’ve worn something thicker,” she chastised, rubbing his wrists and hands.

“Amy,”

“And what were you thinking coming to my room this late, anyway?” she asked.

“Well, I wanted to see you,” Brian admitted, looking down at Amy. 

Amy stopped her ministrations of warming Brian up, her breath puffing out as she blushed. “Oh. . .okay. Then you’re forgiven,” she replied once her brain caught up with her. 

She was in her cabin. Alone. With Brian. 

“Am I, now?”

“Mhm, unless you can make up waking me up in the middle of a snowstorm.”

“I can think of a few things. You know that bakery on West Avenue?” he suddenly asked. 

“Yeah, what about it?”

“I can take you there. On a date. Y’know once we get back to New York.”

Amy nodded, wrapping her arms around Brian in a hug. He hugged her back, his chill finally leaving him as they cuddled beneath three blankets and a snowstorm.

The lights went out eventually, the pair sharing the bed.

***

Amy had enough of her boss pushing his work onto her. So, she met Brian at the bakery on West Avenue. Just for a quick break.

“Hey!” she said, waving at Brian as she walked into the bakery. She took the seat in front of him, setting her laptop bag down near her feet. “What’s up?”

“Not much, just waiting on you,” Brian answered, messing with his to-go cup of macchiato. “How’s work?”

“Ugh, I wish it was better,” Amy said, ordering a caramel latte and a creme-filled donut. “My boss keeps asking me to do his work for him so I have a meeting to prep for in,” she checked her watch, “two hours. So I’ve got time to kill. Take you up on that date.”

Brian smiled then, reaching for Amy’s hand as her order came. “Thanks. Y’know for accepting and all,” he said, playing with Amy’s fingers.

“So, does this mean we’re officially dating, Mr. Jacques?” she asked, teasing.

“Of course,” he replied, moving to kiss Amy’s hand. 

She had the ski resort and crashing into him to thank for this. And Amy had a few ways to show her appreciation to the ski resort that brought them together. By going back and ordering a new generator. 

Amy stood in front of the mountain where it all happened. She was more cold and learning how to ski the first time she came here. However, this time was different. It had been two years since she and Brian started dating and Sandy had another baby. So, there was at least cause to celebrate and stay indoors during this go-round. 

“Amy?” Brian asked, kneeling in front of her as she turned, covering her mouth. “Will you marry me?”

She smiled then, jumping into Brian’s arms as she screamed, “Yes,”

A few months later, they were expecting a wedding. At the very place they got engaged. 

Amy hummed to herself as she tugged her black and white winter coat on. She rented out the cabin she stayed in last time, thankful no one else had grabbed it while she was busy planning her wedding. She headed out of the cabin, taking in the crisp, fresh air. Today was a great day to be married to a man she had a crush on since high school.

January 15, 2022 23:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Unknown User
16:41 Jan 22, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

18:09 Jan 22, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.