2 comments

Drama Friendship Romance

Time, never enough time. Death is coming for me. When I heard Missy scream outside my door, I knew then- my time was up. The doctor lied to me. He said everything was going to be okay but I knew better. I remember the look of pity the doctor gave me. This time he didn't even bother to write anything on his clipboard. When he turned and walked out the door, he shut it softly as if the sound would explode my ear drums.

My wife would never scream and cry, unless she was with her ex, Kevin, the lucky bastard is a millionaire. Maybe, he will try to take her once I'm gone. Missy was never happy with him even though he was a famous chef and he had that big white mansion. She tried to be his servant and be submissive but it didn't matter. Kevin was evil to the core. Things had to be perfect. None of us knew the kind of abuse she was going through until she came to my door half-naked and bleeding. I will never forget that day and now she is mine.

*Knock, Knock*

The door is opening. I see streaks of mascara on my wife's face. She was holding Luhve in her arms. They walk in slowly as if not to break the floor. I cough. She rushes over to hand me a glass of water from the counter. Her hand is shaking. She pours it into my mouth slowly. Waters drips down the sides of my mouth. She grabs a napkin and dabs away at my face. Why was she acting afraid of me? Why was she being so gentle? Do I look that bad?

"How are you?" she whispers. She looked as if she hasn't slept.

Luhve gets onto my lap as I lay there on the white hospital bed. I kiss her forehead. She gives me a quick peck on the lips and immediately rambles on about the car ride to the hospital and her happy meal toy. I pat her on the head and she quiets down.

"Can't say I am mad or that I didn't see this coming. Kay gave me AIDS and she knew she had it. She knew! She was a mistake. I shouldn't of been with her. I shouldn't of cheated and now karma is punishing me. I'm sorry. Luckily you guys don't have it. I mean, how stupid of me, right?" I let out a small explosion of coughs. I was sickly and thin. It was over for me.

"Daddy, I am going to miss you" Luhve hands me her Ken doll. I wink at her. She winks back.

Missy takes Luhve from my lap. Tears rush down her face. She gasps trying not to make a sound.

"I'm sorry, I need some air" Missy gets to the door and Royce and Devon walk in.

Royce is how I met Kevin and the whole gang. We were friends once. Devon and Missy sometimes meet up to talk. One time I heard them talking about a Christmas incident. When I confronted them about it, I never got a straight answer. All I know for sure is that a few years ago there was a secret shared between those two. A secret they want to take to their graves. How can I be mad? Devon met her before I did.

Royce speaks first after we struggle with our secret hand shake.

"Hey man, I am sorry about this. I want you know that we will look out for your family. Missy is still rich and even though she married your poor self, she can take care of things financially. Don't worry. As far as emotionally, we will look out for them"

"Thanks man" I say quietly. My throat burned.

Royce leaves. Devon sits in the corner in a black suit and tie with a shiny black shirt. he was dressed as if he were already at my funeral. He was a real pretty boy. Usually he is cracking jokes but today he remains quiet. I look over at him. He stands up and walks over to me cautiously with his shiny black shoes on. His tie hung look around his neck. He has long perfect hair and a thin gold chain around his neck.

"Hey" he says calmly putting his hands in his pockets. His eyes were dark. I had to admit I was a little jealous of his perfect skin and perfect teeth.

"Are you alright, Devon? What's going on in that head?"

"Nothing"

"I need you, I need you more than ever right now. I need you to take care of Luhve and Missy for me" I order. "Adopt her. You are in my Will"

Devon gives me a quick glare. he was on the brink of tears then he did a little laugh. He paced the room for a moment.

"I know your secret. I know you love my wife. You have always loved her. You two must've had a secret love affair when she was with Kevin. It makes sense. All the awkward moments and stares, it all makes sense now. I was in a love triangle and didn't know it but I know now" I said with tears in my eyes.

"We didn't sleep together while you guys were married" Devon wipes away a few tears. "But I will honor what you say"

"That's great...I"

"However! There's one more thing that has been eating away at me. I mean it's really bothering me" Devon gives me a little evil smirk.

"What is it? Tell me"

"Her ex thinks Luhve is his daughter and all your things are in his mansion where you have been living these last few years with Missy"

"Yes, and?"

"Well, what are you gonna do now that's he's escaped prison?"

I look in horror as Missy and Luhve come back in the room. My vision is blurry and my hearing begins to fade. Devon picks Luhve up in his arms. He then takes Missy's hand. He kisses her cheek.

"What's going on?" She whimpers.

"I am honoring his last wish. You are mine now" Devon kisses her hand. Missy looks confused at first.

Missy didn't argue. She was always submissive I suppose. I expected some kind of drama but there was none. Did I reunite two lovers? Was it a Romeo and Juliet thing until I came along and married her? Why did she love him? I couldn't think of that now.

Missy looks at me and nods her head. She looks back at Devon. They were cute together. They do a short pause then reach for the door. Her black messy curls hang down her back. She was dressed in a beautiful white gown with a black ribbon in her hair. My daughter gave me a wink as Devon carried her away. Tears dripped down my face. Her smile suddenly blurred along with the door. There must've been a problem with the lights. Why is it getting dark? It's cold in here.

Everything goes black.

September 13, 2022 15:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Graham Kinross
02:32 Sep 22, 2022

Karma’s bullet really got him, bit overkill but some people never get their comeuppance at all. That would really suck for his daughter. Don’t know if it would be the AIDS or the guilt that killed him. That’s quite a headf***.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trebor Mack
02:20 Sep 18, 2022

That hospital needs a fossil fuel-powered generator to keep the lights on!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.