1 comment

Suspense

“Oh, my God, Karen, hi!” my cousin immediately greeted with her usual cheery demeanor the instant I joined the video chat. 

Her parents and mine were present as well. I was a bit disappointed to see my older sister hadn’t joined. Oh, well. She had her own family now. What’d I expect?

At least she has an excuse to not attend anymore. 

“Hey, Gale,” I replied. “How’s work going?”

She waved her hand in dismissal. “Fine, fine. Hours are great, in fact. They never give me the night shift!” 

I chuckled, albeit a little uneasily. “Yeah, that’d make it a little hard...you know...for us to keep up our traditions.” 

Gale cocked her head. “You don’t sound so good. You alright?” 

My mother immediately widened her eyes. “Oh, no! You don’t have a cold, do you? You’re not sick, are you, Karen? Are you?” 

“No.”

My dad crossed his arms. “Even if she was, she wouldn’t miss this. Not as the future head.” The most important day of the year. This damn tradition. I suddenly grew worried that he’d comment on my sister’s absence, but he didn’t mention it. I guess even he could remember how she had a family of her own. That she couldn’t do this anymore, not when she had them. That she shouldn’t have to. He sighed. “Anyway, let’s get to it, shall we?”

“Now, now, hold on!” Gale cried. “I haven’t asked Karen--”

Her dad placed a hand on her shoulder, and she shut her mouth, and I could tell she was biting the inside of her cheek. My aunt gave the fifteen-year-old a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry, darling. Karen always was a quick one, and she’ll be back in no time. Especially since her house is closer to--well, I shouldn’t be giving anything away yet, should I?” She cleared her throat before continuing. But before she did, I realized that I’d detected something in her body movement. Almost like there was a tenseness. It’s nothing. “Anyway, like Karen’s dad said, let’s get this party started!” 

She then raised both arms in the air and woo-wooed, much to Gale’s horror. Seeing my aunt do such a goofy thing unsettled me, considering. 

“So it’s Karen’s turn this year, right?” Gale asked. 

“It was supposed to be Gretel’s turn,” my father replied bitterly.

I sighed. So much for that hope. Then again, I should’ve known it’d be inevitable. 

I glanced at Mom and was surprised to see that her gaze had shifted to the floor. I had expected her to defend Gretel. That’s what she usually did whenever Gretel missed our family events. But she wasn’t now. 

“Oh, Karen, you must be so excited, especially since you’re doing it a year early!” Gale exclaimed, her eyes shining. She was the only one smiling, and I began to fill with dread. Something was seriously wrong here. More wrong than usual. “So, Uncle, who have you decided as the--”

Her father gripped her shoulder tightly, and she frowned, but she shut up all the same. Just then the doorbell rang. 

“Oh, I better go get that,” I announced as I rose to my feet, eager to get out of this situation even if for only a moment. 

“Karen.”

I glanced at my dad. “Yeah, Dad?” I asked, hoping my voice wasn’t trembling. Just tell him. Just tell them right now. They'll understand. They'll-

“Tradition before love.”

I opened my mouth to speak, trying to gather up my courage, but then I closed it. I then bit my lip and turned off the audio and video. I let out a nervous sigh before heading to the door. God, I didn’t realize how tense I’d be. Then again, I shouldn't have been surprised. I opened the door. 

Tradition before love. 

No, they’ll understand. They always do. Even if I'm the future head and heir to this whole tradition thing, they'll just pick a new one. They'll move on. Get over it. Right?

I froze when I saw my ten-year-old niece on the doorstep. Her eyes were red and puffy. Her cheeks were red too. Just how long had she been standing out here?

“Winnie--what--”

“Do you know where Mommy went off to?” 

I frowned. “N-no. Why--”

“Alright, Winnie, that’s enough.” There was a rustling noise before Gretel emerged out of a nearby bush.

I blinked. “Gretel?”

Her nearly black eyes pierced through mine, and as always, I felt like they were staring right through to my core. She nodded in satisfaction before taking Winnie’s hand and stepping forward. I immediately stepped back and watched, confused, as they walked straight into my house. I closed the door behind them. 

“What is this about?” 

“They know.” 

“W-what?” I asked as lead lined my stomach. 

“Winnie, go on upstairs,” my sister whispered gently to her daughter. Winnie nodded and did as she was told. She turned her attention back to me. “Disconnect from the chat. Now.” 

“But the video and audio aren’t on, so--”

“Disconnect.”

I bit my lip. “I can’t just do that. They’ll know something’s up--”

“I told you: they already know.”

I immediately shook my head. “You know, they’re not going to actually do anything. They wouldn’t--”

“Do you really believe that?” 

“But--”

“Or did you forget about Peter?” My breath hitched, and she sighed. “Let’s get our bags packed already. Or did you really think this day would never come?” 

“It...it was an accident…”

“Like hell it was, Karen!” Gretel snapped. “Tradition always comes before love. Since the day we were born, they drilled that into our heads! You honestly think that they’d ever just let this go?! That they let it go with him?!” 

“They let you get married…”

“That’s a small transgression that they can easily get over, especially from their disappointment of a daughter. What you’re wanting to do is not. You’re wanting to break this entirely. As the freakin’ heir, too, no less.” 

“Karen?” I heard my mother call. “It’s been a while now.”

I saw my father get up from his chair. “She’s not returning, since she knows it’s her turn this year.”

Gale frowned. “What do you mean? I don’t understand.” 

“Karen? We’re not mad. We really aren’t-”

I widened my eyes as Gretel hit disconnect. “Gretel! How could you-”

“Mother was lying.” She slowly turned her head to face me, and I knew she was telling the truth. 

I bit my lip. “Then pack the bags,” I said quietly. 

November 23, 2020 23:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Morey Guntz
21:30 Dec 02, 2020

Hi! I'm from the critique circle. This is a great start to a story. The thing is, it doesn't really feel complete, and it's a little confusing. I think if you expanded it and included some more details later on, like what this tradition is and why Karen and her sister are running away, this would be an amazing, suspenseful intro.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.