0 comments

General

Hmm type out a short story about a craft I have put on hold for sometime. As I sit here and think about it, there is a lot of things that I have not done in a very long time.

It has been a long time since I sat down at this desk to write anything, I missed it a little. Let me start with I am not a writer, I am someone that likes to type, so in order to type I write thoughts, I guess you could say or little stories, with no rules. Punctuation rules, that is. I hope that is ok? it's probably why I stopped writing in the first place. Someone said you had to follow rules, and I guess you can say. My artistic/crafty side leaves, if I have to think about rules using punctation, or even when I play my instrument, I lose all my feel in what I am playing if I have to think about notes and rules. And then it is nothing to me music without my heart in it, is nothing. Funny I am not in a relationship, but when I play music or sing a song, there is alot of love involved. For me, it would be like saying to a famous sculpter, such as Michelangelo, before you start that piece please write theory on the piece first. I didn't know Michelangelo, maybe he did, but some artists just create on the spur of the moment. Rules, it is almost like someone is purpsosely keeping you away from something for the wrong reasons. So this is probably why I stopped writing short stories. Or playing my bass guitar with other musicians. I mean, I only follow recipes if I am baking cookies, or a cake, if I am making a pasta dish, I don't follow a recipe. Capisce?

So I make my own rules, I write for me, I write, because I love the sound of my fingers on the laptop keyboard. The way they feel, the way they move. It is therapeutic, like gardening is for some people, or a bath in a tub for some. Everyone's therapeutic love is different. I give myself the gift of typing short stories, without rules, Like these coma's, are they in the right place? I am not sure, but I do love the way it feels typing words on this laptop. The sound is so quiet, yet the feel of the keyboard is so smooth. I love to type.

It is funny, here is a little story about typing. I used to work for this large very large corporation and before you could apply for a test you would have to take a typing test. That is ok, I totally understood the reason for the test, but everytime I would practice typing I would get over fifty words a minute. For these tests you had to score 45wpm. I would usually pass, but barely. Tests for some people are just very tough. Some of us just don't do great under pressure.

All this talking about typing and I am losing my flow. Funny isn't it? How when we start to talk about why w are doing something or think about what we are doing, we lose heart. Not everyone, but some of us. Just like not all of us are scholars, it is okay and it is understood, we are not all the same. I have always been that way. Teachers will give you a fail for this type of learning skill, skill from the heart and mind. There are a lot of us. I have met others like myself, that play music or everything they do is done naturally, rather than by the book. It's okay, I don't look down on teachers I guess I just wish they understood my kind our kind, but they usually don't. I have come to terms with the fact, that I will never play on stage amongst my favorite musicians, but I can still enjoy them and listen to them.

Recently, I realized I have not played my bass guitar in a long time, so I picked it up and started playing the instrument and I realized, that I really missed playing my bass. I had the experience of playing bass guitar with a band, but it is tough when you can only play by ear, like I said I don't play by knowing the notes. Anything musical leaves my body if I have to read notes. I recently started to sing again, I have not sung in a band for a very long time, funny whenever I did, I would have the lyrics on a stand for me to read, I would not be able to remember the lyrics on stage, but in a car or walking down the street singing a song, I can sing a favorite without the lyrics in front of me. That would be funny walking down the street, with sheet music in front of me singing. I might get locked up for something like that.

These are some of my crafts that, I have not done in a long time, not years, but for months. I suppose a lot of people go on breaks from the crafts, hobbies they love to do. Sometimes a change in the world can put us on hold, some people have babies and can't go bungie jumping anymore, breaks are not so bad, as long as you can get back to it again. For me it is all about remembering how good something feels, that takes me back to the things I love to do.

As one thing comes back, another comes back. I look forward to more of the things I love to do to come back to me. Feel like a lot of things have been put on hold in the last six months or so. To some these are simple things, sometimes simple things can be enjoyable. Such as typing or playing an instrument, but it could be some of the biggest loves of your life, for the moment.

I am happy I sat here to write this little story about something as simple as typing. It is like I have said, I enjoy typing and I am sure many enjoy having typing as a craft. Typing is a craft that you never seem to forget, it has been years since I have learned this skill. I just realize now. I have been typing for approximately thirty-six years now. That is a very long time.

As for music, music has been in my life, since the day I was born. Coming from a musical family, it is always around. People in my family singing or playing and instrument. I had always sung as a child and in to my adulthood, not professionally, but now thinking about it, I wonder if I would enjoy it, or would it become like a job? Possibly critics telling you, that you are singing wrong or holding your microphone wrong, or your not smiling enough, when you're singing. I mean really, would it be enjoyable, like when you are singing alone and just letting loose? I don't know, like I have said I have never done it professionally and been paid for a gig.

I have only been playing my bass guitar for five years, and it seems that all I had first learned to play on my bass guitar, has not been forgotten either. I have never named a song, I just play and once I start to feel a flow of my fingers on the the strings and neck. I just keep playing and pray to God that my playing doesn't bother anyone. I now realize, my brother had given me a red conga drum, I loved that drum so much, but I gave it back to him. Maybe one day I will play the conga again.

This was a good story idea, writing about a craft we used to do and put on hiatus. I knew, once we think of one thing we like to do, more crafts will all come back to us eventually. Especially all the things we love to do!!

June 15, 2020 04:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.