17 comments

American Fiction Inspirational

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

TW: Swearing.

Is your cheese too blocky? Are your burgers hampered by the height of your halloumi? The solution is simple. For only $9.99 we can teach you how to turn a culinary faux pas into a fromage.

            *Soft white rind cheese sold separately.

            When I was a kid, I thought my life would be like the movies, specifically Spy Kids. Being a spy in real life is incredibly boring. Filling out a risk assessment for an armed mission is ridiculous.

            In the movies the bad guys all have flamboyant costumes and private jets or yachts that take them to their private island bases. In real life that’s more tycoons and tax dodgers.

            I shot one guy in a four-colour suit while I was under the influence of hallucinogens and apparently, I’m considered ‘a loose cannon we can’t afford.’ My boss had the vein sticking out in his forehead as he yelled it. That guy is a total downer. He needs to take a chill pill. I offered him one of mine, but he just shouted even louder at me to get out. He should stop wearing red, it’s a very stressful colour. I only wear green now.

            It’s insane. If that man wasn’t a villain, it was just a matter of time. Apparently, I have an ‘overactive imagination’ and my bosses don’t like me being high on the job. If real life didn’t suck so much, I wouldn’t have to do mushrooms to make it more bearable.

            Daytime television is insane. $9.99 for a cheese grater? Just use a knife. What do they think I am? Made of money? I just lost my job and I still managed to spend less than that getting an unregistered gun. You have to love America; guns are cheaper than graters.

            I can buy a breast pillow for the low, low price of $19.99. It sits between the breasts while you’re sleeping to do something. I have no idea. Presumably it just means trading one kind of discomfort for another. Also, I’m betting that it would smell in no time.

            I haven’t heard back from the bank yet. I have extensive firearms training and former security clearance. I must be qualified to protect cashiers from idiots in hocky masks. Although a lot of people just wear masks now because of the pandemic. I’ll probably just kneecap them to be on the safe side.

            A sauna personalised to just one hand is available for $24.99. The drawback, other than being pointless, is that you have to refill it every twenty minutes. Pass. Although having flexible hands wound be a bonus when I’m fighting bad guys at the bank. I’ll call it a maybe.

            My face isn’t getting enough exercise. That’s news to me. Luckily the people who invent things for the shopping channel have come up with a torture device that fits conveniently in my mouth. It’s definitely not going to choke me and comes in a range of flattering colours. It’s flexing, exercising, and strengthening the facial muscles of the woman who’s selling it. Someone somewhere is recording this for their oral fetish nonsense. $50. Nope.

            Why isn’t the phone ringing? I attached a photo of me with my gun collection when I handed in my CV. They know I kick ass. They should have been begging me to take the job.

            $19.99 for a plastic bear that craps chocolate? Bought. Do I need it? No. But who wouldn’t want that? It craps candy and it’s a bear. That’s a no brainer right there. I get out my credit card and dial the number on the screen.

            “Hello. Yes, I want to buy the bear that poops candy. Yes. I’ll hold.” Annoying music plays as I wait. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long. I don’t want to miss my call from the bank.

            I brush crumbs off the sofa as I wait. I’ve been a bit of a slob since I lost my job. My green bath robe has a few stains which could be misunderstood by people who don’t know how much I like chocolate pudding.

            I smell my armpit. Big mistake.

            Time to shower. I carry the phone with me as the robe falls away. The curtains are closed, and I live alone. My birthday suit will do.

            All the towels are sitting in the wash basket which also stinks a bit. I look at the clothes in wardrobe and decide to sacrifice a woollen Christmas jumper that I won’t need again for another six months.

            The music keeps playing so I flip on the shower and start rubbing myself with the soap one handed. There’s some weird pink mould growing along the seals in the shower, but I haven’t summoned the effort to do anything about it. The broken door lets out some of the water which is soaked up by my already sodden bathroom mat.

            The music stops. I flip off the shower as fast as I can, still covered in soap.

            “Hi. Still here. Thank you. My card? Yeah, I just need to go and get it. I was in the shower.” Is she laughing at me? What’s so hilarious about a man showering?

            I run through the house, dripping everywhere. I grab my wallet from my jeans and pull out the card. My phone is pressed between my ear and shoulder. Covered in soap but at least it will be cleaner than it was.

            “My name yeah,” I spell it out to her. “Address, sure.” She repeats it back to me. “Card number.” I tell her everything and she confirms it then tells me my purchase has been successful. “Thank you, madam.” I hear her snort as she hangs up. Rude.

            I jump for joy, soap dripping off my dangly bits as I celebrate my impulse buy. I run back to the shower which has flooded the whole bathroom. I don’t care. The phone is still in my hand, so I toss it down the hall. It should be alright. Phones are tough?

            When the bear arrives two weeks later the sound of the door knocking wakes me from my slumber. I rise with the urgency of a cat startled by unexpected cucumber. Running to the door I put my foot in an open pizza box. Ketchup covers my foot as I tell the guy I’m coming.

            The box for the bear has my name on it. I smile like a kid at Christmas as I tear it open and pull out the bear.

            It looks smaller than it did on tv.

            Whatever. I can’t wait to see it crap chocolate.

            I press the nose like the woman did on the shopping channel. The bear squats as if the magic is about to happen.

            Nothing.

            I press the nose again.

            Nothing again.

            I look in the box.

            Nothing.

            *Chocolate sold separately.

            “FUCK!”

            Life is cruel my friends. Life is cruel. Not like Spy Kids at all.

May 25, 2022 12:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Annalisa D.
15:06 Oct 13, 2022

The title of this and start with the cheese really pulled me in. "He should stop wearing red, it’s a very stressful colour. I only wear green now" I liked this line a lot. "$9.99 for a cheese grater? Just use a knife." This also really made me laugh. It is my reaction to a lot of commercials. They make pretty easy things seem overly complicated. I started this highlighting lines I like, but quickly realized there would be too many. This is a really funny story. I like all the different ads. I wonder if these are based on real things, b...

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:20 Oct 13, 2022

There are a lot of face exercise products in shops in Tokyo which look like torture devices so that’s what inspired that bit. Someone at my wife’s old job told her not to wear bright red because it’s an ‘attack colour’. There’s a product out there for everyone…

Reply

Annalisa D.
21:58 Oct 13, 2022

That's so weird someone would say that to her. People have interesting ideas sometimes. Those face things sound a bit creepy and uncomfortable haha

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:12 Oct 13, 2022

In the shops they look creepy, uncomfortable and hilarious. I like to send photos of them to my friends back home.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
22:20 Jun 02, 2022

This was funny! Grate job! Lol

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:50 Jun 02, 2022

Thanks Kate.

Reply

Kate Winchester
23:08 Jun 02, 2022

Welcome 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felice Noelle
01:03 Jun 02, 2022

Graham: Because you read some of my stories, I have started on some of yours. I luckily landed on this one and can't stop laughing and chuckling inbetween. This is just a hoot from beginning to end. I even got a hint of the voice of one of those QVC hustlers as I read it. When I get a specific voice in my head as I read, that is proof of how immersive the story is. This was great, and punny, and so, so true, and I identified with so much of it. Every paragraph was a comic gem. Thanks for a laugh on this hot and humid Florida night. ...

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:31 Jun 02, 2022

Thank you Maureen. I like to put hints of humour in other stuff but there’s not much pure satire apart from this. I’ll give it a go more often. The bank guard application was from a friend of mine who thought having a wine stain on his application to work at an liqueur store would look good for him, because he ‘knew what he was selling.’ Funnily enough they never got back to him.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:44 May 30, 2022

The punny title drew me in, and the story was amusing :) I like the justifications of the shopping items, what is and isn't worth his money, and his obliviousness, like sending a photo of him and his armory with his job application. The chocolate not being included was a nice send off. But what stood out for me was: "Presumably it just means trading one kind of discomfort for another." Love this line. Modern life in a nutshell? In any case, it seems to resonate with the theme and the prompt. Things are never really quite like we expect t...

Reply

Graham Kinross
11:37 Feb 08, 2024

That’s for reading this and commenting. Sorry it took me two years to reply.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
03:57 Feb 08, 2024

funny and sad jokes about guns. the bear is funny. do you watch this shows?

Reply

Graham Kinross
11:38 Feb 08, 2024

I have seen shopping channels. They always seem ridiculous. Thanks for reading and commenting Aoi.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
02:30 Feb 21, 2024

You'r welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cassie Finch
09:09 Feb 14, 2024

Wow punarific. Awesome.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:33 Feb 14, 2024

Thanks Cassie.

Reply

Cassie Finch
09:07 Feb 26, 2024

You're welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.