Lucy's Birthday

Submitted into Contest #205 in response to: Make your protagonist go through a rite of passage.... view prompt

1 comment

Coming of Age Fiction

Lucy had never seen so many types of birds in one morning; at least not in the backyard garden, where she spent the beginning of each day observing the animals. She counted them one by one, skillfully identifying each bird as it pecked at the sunflower seeds she had scattered across the ground. A colorful array of goldfinches, orioles and bluebirds fluttered among the groups of red-breasted robins and black-capped chickadees. A bright red cardinal kept watch in the brush above the commotion, its crest of top-feathers rustling in the gentle breeze.

Sitting cross-legged amongst the tall grass and wildflowers, Lucy leaned back and closed her eyes. As if preparing herself, she squeezed her eyelids as tight as they would go, permitting the morning light to fade. As she sat enveloped in darkness, the sounds of birdsong became crisper—the call of what she determined to be a nightingale rang out in the distance.

Lucy felt a slight shift in her anticipation; perhaps it wouldn’t be so hard to be blind. It couldn’t be the worst thing that could happen to someone. After all, everyone in her family experienced it on the evening of their eighteenth birthday.

Calmed by her rationale, Lucy opened her eyes.  A figure stood before her in the garden. Startled, as she had thought she was alone, Lucy took a sharp breath, but her nerves quickly settled when she realized who it was.

“Phoebe,” she said, blinking as her eyes readjusted to the light.

“Thought I’d find you here. Can I sit with you?”

Lucy nodded and patted the ground next to her. The two girls sat motionless as the sticky air of dawn slowly lifted and the sun ascended in the cloudless sky. The warm mid-morning air had settled across the garden and the birds grew quiet as they retreated into the brush—an escape from the heat of the day.

“Happy birthday,” Phoebe said.

Despite being two years younger, Phoebe stood noticeably taller than her sister. With interests and mannerisms that suggested maturity, she was often mistaken for the older sibling.

“Since when do you like watching birds?” Lucy asked, ignoring the sentiment. “Shouldn’t you be inside, studying or something?”

Phoebe was constantly in her room with books spread across her desk as she researched and studied for hours. She was frequently awake until the early hours of the morning, reading and taking notes. When done with her studies, she would often sit next to her window, lost in her own reverie. 

“I’m not studying today,” Phoebe said. “Do you have any plans for your birthday?”

Although reaching adulthood was a universal milestone, for Lucy’s family eighteenth birthdays held a solemn sacredness. At sunset, Lucy knew she would experience a permanent loss of vision. Blindness would come, dissolving her sight the way it had for her older brother Albert, three summers ago.

Albert fought becoming blind. With shadows rising and colors fading, Albert had clawed at his face in anguish before succumbing to an agony that lasted the rest of the night. Lucy could still remember the grief on her mother’s crumpled expression as she stood by helplessly. It was then that Lucy vowed to accept her fate. There was no use in resisting the inevitable.

“I was thinking about going to Lilac Lake to watch the birds.” Lucy said.

“Typical,” Phoebe sighed, then gave a slight smile. “I’ll come with you.”

***

           It was early afternoon and Lucy was growing impatient waiting for Phoebe to come downstairs. A large burlap sack was slung around Lucy’s shoulders. Inside she had arranged everything she needed for the perfect birdwatching trip: a pair of binoculars, a bag of birdseed and a spiral-bound notebook.

           Exasperated by how much time was passing, Lucy bounded upstairs and called to her sister from behind closed doors. “Phoebe, are you coming or not?”

           The door flung open. “Quick change of plans,” Phoebe said, tossing a worn folder into her sister’s hands. It bulged with pages of intricate notes.

           “What’s this for?” Lucy asked.

           “I did some research and I think I found someone who can help us. Someone who can prevent us from going blind.” Phoebe paced around the room in excitement as Lucy skimmed the notes. 

“I don’t know,” Lucy said, handing the folder back to Phoebe and noting the frustration that flashed across her sister’s face. “Going to see this doctor sounds like a scam. They probably just want our money.” 

           Phoebe remained persistent in her plan, “But if this works, you could be a professional birdwatcher,” she said. “And I could be pilot someday.”

           Lucy regarded her sister’s offer, then shook her head. Phoebe’s face fell, the look of disappointment so strong that Lucy turned away. Eyes now resting on the vast array of books on her sister’s desk, she skimmed the titles briefly—Aviation and Flight, The Art of Flying, Aeronautical Knowledge—all evidence of Phoebe’s fierce dedication to her dream.

           “I guess we could try,” Lucy said at last.

Phoebe clasped her hands together with joy and tucked the folder under her arm. “Then let’s go. We don’t have much time.”

***

           “Is this really the place?” Lucy asked.

           “Looks like we’re in the correct location,” Phoebe said, folding up the map she was holding and slipping it back into her pocket. A tone of uncertainty had risen in her voice, matching the mounting doubt of Lucy’s own thoughts.

Lucy looked up from the walkway at the building’s dilapidated, crumbling walls. It didn’t look like anyone had inhabited the location for a while. Phoebe nudged Lucy forward gently, and the two girls reluctantly made their way to the front of the house.

Rotting wood and flakes of chipped paint sprinkled the ground, making crunching noises as the sisters walked. Initially hidden by the debris, a mouse had become disoriented by the disturbance and scurried across Lucy’s foot. She tensed as the mouse’s paws brushed across her shoe, but willed herself to relax when she realized Phoebe hadn’t noticed.

Phoebe had the map out again, tracing an outlined path with a finger and muttering softly to herself. She looked up at the building, back at the map, then directly at Lucy, and shrugged. “Is anyone here?” she called out, walking a few feet into the ruins. 

“Looks like nobody’s home,” Lucy said. “Maybe we should leave.”

“Hello?” Phoebe called as loud as she could. The house echoed back her words, but she ignored it. “We need some help over here.”

           The house reverberated with the sound of footsteps. The building’s brittle windows shook violently as bits of decay fell from an overhead awning—fragments of wood, glass, and dirt rained down amongst the previously gathered detritus.

“What do you need?” a voice rasped from deep within the house.

“We’re looking for a Dr. Esmeralda. Do you know where we can find her?” Phoebe said.

“Why are you looking for me?”

Lucy noted the tremor in the woman’s voice.

“My sister needs your help,” Phoebe explained. “This evening, she will become blind. We were hoping you could prevent it. According to my research, you’re the only one who can assist us.”

The floorboards creaked rhythmically as the figure drew near. A light flashed on as a tall lamp illuminated the room; it flickered intermittently, creating a strobe effect. A woman appeared in the doorway, her long sandy hair appeared unkempt as it tumbled out of a hair ribbon. 

“Oh, I’m sorry, but we’re out of business,” she threw her hands up slightly and laughed, “I mean, look at the place.” When the sisters remained silent, she continued, “I’m just glad you weren’t the demolition crew. I’m still trying to clear things out of here.”

“I’m sure it was a great place. I know I’ve read some incredible stories,” Phoebe said, “And since you’re still here, would you at least consider helping my sister?”

“Ah, it was a great place, back in the day,” the doctor’s eyes sparkled at the memory. “This place was truly my dream come true, my one genuine joy in life. You girls are welcome to come in of course, but please, call me Esme.”

Esme stepped aside and ushered the two siblings into the house. She directed them to a set of wooden chairs that circled a small roundtable. Dozens of boxes packed with miscellaneous medical supplies were scattered across the floor.

“How come you had to close your practice?” Phoebe asked.

“Closing up shop wasn’t easy for me, but it had to be done. People these days don’t have a need for me. Everyone wants traditional treatments, even if it’s ineffective. No one wants experimental or alternative care anymore.”

Phoebe watched intently as Esme searched through a large box, its contents clattering as she dug through the jumble. She placed several bottles of liquid along with a vial of green powder on the table.   

“Looks like I have most of everything I need,” Esme said, tossing the box back with the others. “When do you want to start?”

Phoebe was quick to reply, “Right away.”

“What do you mean you have most of everything you need?” Lucy asked.

Esme sat back in her chair and considered Lucy’s question. There was a hint of contempt in her eyes. “What do you have to lose?” she asked.

Lucy thought about the plans she had for the day; she could almost picture the birds at Lilac Lake. She couldn’t quite shake the idea that she was wasting the last few hours she had to enjoy what she loved. Lucy remembered her sister’s passion for her studies, her dreams of becoming a professional pilot. She remembered the look on her mother’s face the night of Albert’s eighteenth birthday.

“Let’s start,” Lucy said.

Esme led the way down a narrow hallway and into an adjacent room. A musky odor permeated the air, and Lucy noticed dampness along the walls and floorboards. A shiver ran through her body, causing an audible shudder.

“I apologize for the chill,” Esme said as she came to a stop, “This is my treatment room, or should I say was. I removed the window when I bought the place. It needs to be dark for my procedures to work.”

Lucy looked quizzically at Esme, who was motioning for her to sit down in a worn reclining chair.

“That makes sense,” Phoebe said. “The light may conflict with treatment.”

Esme simply nodded.

Once Lucy was in position on the oversized recliner, Esme reached down and pulled a lever. The head of the chair snapped backwards. Startled by the sudden motion, Lucy gasped and struggled to free herself from the chair’s sunken grip.

“You’re okay, chair’s just old,” Esme said curtly, “Now, relax and keep your eyes open. I’m going to administer several medications that have been produced right here at the house. Made them myself, actually. Some of my medicine may sting, some may make you see odd things, but in the end, they will help save your vision.”

Lucy glanced at Phoebe. Her sister stood at her side, but her eyes were focused upon Esme.

"Okay I’m ready,” Lucy said, pulling her arms up and laying them across her chest as she tried to relax.

At first Lucy didn’t feel anything and wondered if the treatment had even started. A few minutes later she felt the sting of an acidic fluid the was slowly dripping into her eyes. Lucy blinked the pain away and continued to stare straight ahead. She gazed at the stucco ceiling that hung above her and calmed herself by focusing on its discolored stains and patches. One ragged patch reminded Lucy of a bird. She watched with a sudden tranquility as it began to move. Wing-like projections formed among the mottled stains on the ceiling as more birds began to manifest.

There were a countless number of birds now, all flying in rapid succession. An array of bright colors danced across the vastness of an open sky; a rush of songbirds, skybirds, and seabirds flew overhead.

A bald eagle appeared. Its enormous head drenched in white plumage—a sheer contrast to the dense coffee-colored feathers that lined its body and wings. Soaring directly across the paths of the smaller birds, the eagle arched its back and took flight. Wings spread wide and eyes intently fixed, the giant bird made a descent straight towards Lucy.

Heart pounding, Lucy braced herself. The raptor screeched as it grew nearer. It finally extended its legs as far as they could reach. The bird opened its talons wide. It was going to grab Lucy’s face.

Searing pain shot into Lucy’s head as the eagle’s talons ripped and pulled, holding on to each of her eyes in a tight fist-like grip. Screaming, she desperately tried to free herself from the bird. In an act of self-defense, she began to pluck the bird’s feathers, grabbing handfuls of the long quills and pulling forcefully. The pain grew stronger and stronger.

“Lucy,” a soft voice called, “Lucy, can you hear me?”

In an instant, the birds disappeared; the ceiling returned to its normal state of discolored stucco. Lucy blinked away the last of the moisture in her eyes and put a hand up to feel her face. Esme caught her arm. “Be careful. It’s still healing. In fact, you must wear this for the next few hours, as absolutely no sunlight can touch your eyes.” She held up a cloth blindfold.

“Thank you, Esme, for your services and expertise,” Phoebe gushed. “I hope you can treat me too in a few years.”

Esme gathered up the medicine bottles and tossed them back into the box. “I wish you both the best of luck,” she said, ignoring Phoebe’s request. It was the first time Lucy had noted a hint of any sincerity in the woman’s voice.

***

Arms interlocked, Lucy and Phoebe made their way to Lilac Lake. The blindfold tied around Lucy’s face blocked out light entirely, rendering her dependent on her younger sibling for navigating each turn in the road.

“I appreciated the help,” Lucy said as she narrowly avoided a steep embankment. “Although one day I may have to learn how to do this myself.”

“What are you talking about?” Phoebe asked, her voice hollow.

“I just may need to learn how to find my own way around.”

Lucy felt Phoebe’s arm stiffen, but she did not reply.

“We’ve here. We reached Lilac Lake,” Phoebe said after a few minutes. “Our bench is just a few feet ahead.”

           When Lucy was younger, she and her family would come to Lilac Lake every Sunday. Albert would practice fishing and Phoebe would sit on one end of the long cement bench and read. Lucy would perch at its opposite end and watch the lake’s evening display of birds. Even when her family eventually stopped coming, Lucy would still make the trip each week.

           “Lucy?” Phoebe’s voice interrupted her thoughts, but Lucy welcomed it. The two sisters had taken their seats on the old bench, although this time both girls remained huddled side by side. “Can someone be a pilot if they’re blind?”

           “I don’t know,” Lucy said, “Maybe.”

           “They can’t,” Phoebe whispered after a minute of silence. “Pilots need excellent vision. And I want to be a pilot more than anything.”

           “Maybe we’re not always meant to be who we want to be,” Lucy said.

Phoebe tightened the grip on Lucy’s arm. “But don’t you think we should still try?” she asked.

***

           “It’s almost sunset,” Phoebe observed aloud, an attempt to keep Lucy informed about her surroundings. “Soon we can take off that blindfold.” The enthusiasm was back in her voice, and she spoke with a fierce fervor. Phoebe’s quick resolve brought a lightness to Lucy’s mind. She enjoyed seeing her sister happy. Likewise, she was eager to remove the blindfold as well.  

           “I think I’ll be able to fly my first plane on my eighteenth birthday. After I get my treatment from Esme.” Phoebe was talking fast now, quivering with anticipation. “You can be my co-pilot, Lucy.”

An abrupt, deep, and mournful cry reverberated across the lake, followed by several more wails. Phoebe tapped Lucy’s arm. “Do you hear those birds? They’re so beautiful. Black with white polka dots.”

“They’re called loons,” Lucy told her, recognizing the distinctive call.

“And there’s a huge bird all by himself in the marsh. He has really long legs. Oh, he just caught a fish.” 

Noticing it was being watched, the bird gave a deep, quaking roar, and flew off. Its colossal wings spanned the air and created ripples in the lake.

“A great blue heron,” Lucy breathed, recognizing the description. “They’re rare. I’ve never seen one before.”

“Neither have I. But they’re now my favorite bird. They’re amazing flyers.”

Lucy smiled as the two continued to birdwatch, each in their own way.

***

“It’s happening,” Phoebe said suddenly. “The sun is setting. You can take the blindfold off now.”

Lucy tentatively slipped the blindfold off her face. She blinked several times and rubbed her eyes.

“Lucy, can you see me?” Phoebe asked. Her voice was bordering on hysterics. “Look around, tell me what’s happening.”

Lucy tilted her head towards the lake. “Well, there are mallard ducks over by the reeds. A kingfisher in the tree to my left. Songbirds, too. And a nighthawk just flew by.”

 Phoebe squealed. “I knew it would work, we are finally cured,” she gathered Lucy in a tight embrace. “All my studying will now be worthwhile.”

A frigid, windless chill settled throughout the lake, silencing the birds. Lucy shivered with the cold and wrapped her arms around herself to stay warm.

The stillness was unsettling, the darkness intense.

There was no moon as far as Lucy could tell. There were no stars. There was no lake.

“You would have made a great pilot, Phoebe,” she whispered to the endless night. 

July 08, 2023 02:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tricia Shulist
16:02 Jul 11, 2023

That was sad. And Lucy missed her last day of sightedness, only to be struck blind anyway. I like the way you don’t tell us why the children go blind. Was their mother blind, as well? Thanks for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.