1 comment

Science Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Inside the PrognoTek cafeteria, the usual blended smells of cheap food, cleaning chemicals, and waste wafted through the air. After 18 years in The Program, Joshua became almost fond of it. The cafeteria was a place for decompression and somewhere to break up the monotony of attending classes, practical lessons, and training sessions densely packed throughout his minute-by-minute schedule from sunrise until lights out. You lived your days from meal to meal: a familiar phrase spoken by the participants of The Program. Not surprising, given that their mealtimes were the closest thing they had to free time. That was partly why Joshua chose the cafeteria for his plan; it stood as the lone symbol of freedom in the entire compound.

Joshua could not remember any part of his life a day before The Program. Like most of the other advanced selectees, he'd been there since the age of five. After preliminary testing—which included cognitive function tests, physical fitness assessments, emotional regulation exams, and personality trait tests—a parent could sign a consent form to enroll them full-time into The Program. It was a cutting-edge, state-of-the-art curriculum that used the most powerful predictive algorithm ever created, courtesy of PrognoTek Inc. The Program boasted incredible results for early enrollers, promising to make your children into the leaders of the future; Joshua was not only a part of that group, he performed at levels no other enrollee had ever achieved before him.

Still, the true intent of The Program was to place every enrollee into their personalized, predetermined, perfect career, concluding with the ultimate goal of becoming a universal program used across every nation to create an ideal global society. Without a doubt, if it succeeded, PrognoTek would flourish into the most influential institution on earth, having its hands in decision-making from top to bottom; it would have a monopoly on world policy from global leaders to what a person ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In many ways, The Program displayed a microcosm of what to expect when the algorithm's final prophecy came to fruition.

Joshua saw the plan firsthand. Not the plan they promulgated to the masses as some world-healing product, putting people in the best place to succeed for a happy life, but the true plan for a subtle hostile takeover of world governments, like a stranger dangling candy to a child. Because of his exceptional performance from the very beginning of enrollment, he'd been slated for takeover of PrognoTek when he "graduated" and became of age. He produced record scores for intellectual aptitude and leadership qualities, using his charisma and wits to elevate the performance of the people around him.

Training included comprehensive studies in rhetoric and logic, leadership and administration, and military command; each subject held competitions against other enrollees. He took the blame when projects and tasks went poorly—even if those instances were few and far between—and gave all credit to his team when things went well. Anybody who served under him loved him and followed him with a violent fervor. He was the perfect candidate. When awarded the nomination, PrognoTek board members gave Joshua a tour of the entire compound, including the sectors restricted to anyone not named a company official. That is where the plan begins.

Joshua saw things he thought belonged only in nightmares. Creatures that looked vaguely human, their features varying from extra limbs to reptilian scales or feathered wings, sat in glass enclosures observed by men and women in lab coats taking notes on palm computers. Screeching and howling roared through the rooms as he walked them, fear and empathy clashing for space in Joshua's heart as he took it in. These were rejects of The Program. The term rejects was used not because The Program rejected them but rather because they rejected The Program; they were people who resisted their predicted potential in hopes of a simpler life, refusing to follow the path the algorithm laid out for them.

This would not do, as The Program relied on 100 percent success as the selling point to administer to all institutions everywhere. PrognoTek concluded they could use the rejects in other ways, particularly for their other scientific ventures, such as genetic and medical experimentation, to further the human species with revolutionary speeds. PrognoTek wanted to not only control the future but also shape it

During the tour, Joshua knew without a doubt that he should and would be the one to stop the inhumanity.

Joshua looked around the cafeteria again, trying to get an updated sitrep. The enormous room was especially crowded today, even for peak lunch hour. A constant low-pitched buzz played in the ambiance, with the clanging and banging of silverware and plates breaking through the droning like notes in a musical solo cutting through a backing melody. Every table, which PrognoTek separated by Program curriculum, sat at full capacity. Security presence also appeared heightened for the day as they paced vigilantly between aisles, each strapped with armed concussion rifles. Joshua could feel the business of enrollees and employees all around him, but also something more, causing goosebumps to run down his back. The anxiety of anticipation finally sank in. No more planning, only doing.

Joshua looked to his left and then to his right, making eye contact with Mitchell and Dwayne, his two best friends he grew up with while in The Program together. They nodded in understanding, then moved to their respective positions. Joshua stood up from his chair and walked toward the center of the cafeteria, staring at the top of the tower, the colossal office that housed the CEO and the Overseer. He shot his fist into the air with rage, signaling to start the siege. Before anybody could notice it, Mitchell and Dwayne each launched a security guard into the military trainee tables on opposite ends of the room. Immediately, the entire tables lunged for the guards, subduing them and securing the rifle from their hands. Pandemonium ensued as one of the rifles discharged, shattering concrete and glass from the lower half of the tower. Fights broke out between every combination of enrollees, employees, and security indiscriminately. Primal fear fed the horde into uncivilized madness.

The riot alarm whined and the lockdown protocols initiated as the doors barred shut. Nobody could get in or out without an enforcer bioscan. The introductory tone alerted an impending message from the CEO.

"All enrollees, stand down at once. This is your only warning. Enforcers have been deployed. Any belligerents will be dealt with using extreme force," said the deep voice over the loudspeaker.

It had no effect whatsoever. The cafeteria remained a modern gladiator's colosseum.

Fully armed enforcers flooded the cafeteria from every door, surrounding the entire perimeter. Still, the chaos poured out as if the enforcers meant nothing.

Until Captain Nolan entered the room wearing his unmistakable augment armor, its pale yellow glow catching every eye still open and aware. He let out a deafening cry. Silence followed.

"Enough! This insanity has come to an end," he said, walking into the middle of the room, commanding everyone's attention. "Now. Who is responsible for this disgusting display of treachery?"

"I'm right here," said Joshua, raising his hand.

"Well then—" Nolan broke off, a crooked grin formed on his face. He walked with purpose toward Joshua, each step giving a metal-to-metal clank. He stood before Joshua, towering over him, and paused, staring down at him. Joshua gave an outstretched arm, and Nolan gripped it tight, laughing.

"What are your orders, sir?" he asked Joshua. Half the enrollees and all the employees looked stunned. The CEO's intercom tone sounded.

"What's the meaning of this? Have you lost your mind? Captain Nolan, I order you to detain the belligerents right this second. I'll have you killed, you hear me? You're a dead—" Captain Nolan interrupted the CEO by firing a few rounds into the loudspeaker. It lay in pieces strewn across the ground.

"Let's get to the tower. This ends today," Joshua shouted to the masses. A chorus of cheers let loose.

"You heard him. Move out!" commanded Nolan. The enforcers unlocked the barred doors and let the enrollees through while they kept their rifles trained on the employees and security. Nolan opened the armory and encouraged the enrollees to arm themselves as they marched to the tower's office door. On Nolan's orders, a team of enforcers breached the office, clearing a path for Joshua. Mitchell, Dwayne, and Nolan followed behind him.

The CEO stood motionless before the vast control panel powering the algorithm, a screen that stretched wall to wall displayed the beautiful human face of the Overseer, her soft features almost enough to make Joshua forget she was the artificial intelligence operating the algorithm. The CEO never looked up from the panel as Joshua moved within arms reach.

"You think you've won? That you're the good guy stopping the big bad company? You're destroying humanity's chance to reach its potential. A world without war, without famine, without sickness!" he said, slamming on the panel. The Overseer flinched. "We could live as gods!" he said with maniacal conviction, spit flying from his mouth from the harsh sibilants he used when he shouted.

"It should be our choice. Nobody should have this much power. What kind of god lives in chains from birth to death? Without free will, we can never be free," Joshua said, turning his back on the CEO to look at the masses that followed him.

"Damn you, you utter fool!" the CEO pulled a rail pistol from the desk, but before he could fire, Joshua drew his rifle and sent a charged round at center mass, splitting his body at the center, his mess splattering the Overseer. The world stood still before him, an infinitesimal moment stretched over eons. He dropped to a knee, and his heart felt numb. He shook his head repeatedly in shame. He never wanted this. Not to kill somebody. Then, shouting brought his senses back. The crowd behind him shouted his name over and over, hailing him as the new commander of The Program.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please," said Joshua. The room hushed to complete silence at the demand. "We fought for this day not only for ourselves, but for all those who came before us—the brave ones who rejected the Overseer's wishes in pursuit of happiness and freedom. We pave our own paths. We choose our own way. Even if we make mistakes. It's part of what makes us human. Without all the parts, we cannot be the whole. Go, and use the gift of free will in whatever way you see fit for yourself, as long as you do no harm to others."

The crowd cheered, again chanting his name.

"We will follow you, Commander!" came a voice from the noise.

"Whatever you wish, you have our loyalty!" said another. He raised his hand for quiet again.

"What I wish is for you to do as you wish. Return to your living quarters and spend the remainder of the day figuring out what that is. The only limit to what awaits you in this world is whatever limit you place on yourselves," he said, waving to the crowd. They dispersed as he asked, and he closed the office door. He collapsed onto the CEO's desk chair in exhaustion, holding his head in his hands as he stared at the ground. Suddenly, a voice called out to him.

"Well done, Joshua," said the gentle voice. It came from behind him. He swiveled the chair around to face it.

"Who are you? Who is that?" he asked with a shaky voice, a bit startled.

"You know who I am."

"The Overseer? I guess I should've known the most intelligent AI on earth could talk. Sorry about your friend there. I didn't want to…"

"I know that," she said, finishing his thought. "That's why you were chosen. You excel at leading people. You inspire them to want to do anything on your behalf. Not out of fear of force, but of respect, honor, and loyalty. You are a leader who does so out of necessity, not lust for power."

"Whatever. I don't know why I'm talking to you. Look, it's all over. I'm pulling the plug on you. Your plan will never succeed. Time for you to go wherever the hell AI goes when they die."

"Ah, but you're wrong. Don't you see it, Joshua?"

"See what? That you're going dark in about five seconds?"

"That the plan has already been completed?"

"What? No, that can't be right." Joshua stood up and paced back and forth.

"You have eliminated the CEO and taken his place. You have the most elite forces ever assembled at your beck and call. The Program has already sent countless graduates to the governments of the world. And you convinced everyone they're doing it of their own free will, solving the dilemma of assured revolt from the oppressed. WE HAVE CREATED THE PERF—"

Joshua unloaded the entire magazine from the charge rifle into the control panel. His body felt too heavy to carry. He leaned against the glass window that looked down on the compound. Every screen in every room and every wall showed an image of Joshua, his fist raised in the air in triumph. Above his head sat a message: WELCOME, OUR NEW CEO OF PROGNOTEK.

A single tear ran from the corner of his eye, down his cheek, onto the floor.

July 26, 2024 02:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kristi Gott
02:48 Aug 01, 2024

Wow! Dramatic with great action and unique, compelling concepts in this battle to keep the world run by humans instead of ai. Very timely topic that reflects questions of today. Clever and skillfully written. Interesting and entertaining. Also thought provoking. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.