DEATH BY CHOCOLATE (VALENTINE DAY SUPRISE)

Submitted into Contest #133 in response to: Write a story about someone making a gift (chocolate or otherwise) for a loved one.... view prompt

2 comments

Romance Fantasy Fiction

I said to Laila " You don't really mean it. It is really difficult for me to understand what's really going on! We have been going out for nearly eight months. Valentine Day is in two weeks time. You are telling me I can't meet your parents. It does not make any sense at all," She was silent, suddenly said " How many times I told you, we come from different cultures, traditions. I can't tell my parents about our friendship. They won't accept it. As far as they are concerned I am at Oxford University to get a degree not for making friends. This is my first year and their second visit to Oxford. That's not fair to upset them. I am sorry," with that telling me off I felt rejected and said, " See you," and left the room.

My name is Mike. I met Laila eight months ago. I am in my second year in a separate college at Oxford University. I met her at beginner's ball at the start of the semester. Since then it had been really happy days. Oxford is a very romantic city with its cobbled streets and historic buildings it feels like living in the 18th century. Especially our dining room at the college is so spooky, old and historical every time I am in there, feel like I am part of Harry Potter film. In general, the university instituted rules to attend the lecturers, dining and follow strict dress code for each occasion. It is unique and makes us different from other students of the country. It feels like going out with Laila makes me feel like a knight. Life in Oxford is so unpredictable and full of surprises it feels like living in a dreamland. To me, life at Oxford College is another story to tell.

When I met Laila, she was somehow different from other girls. To me, she was beautiful of course beauty is in the eye of a beholder they say. I shall not dwell on the immaculate physical features but my fascination with her was upbringing manners were the most unusual and adorable. She was not like other girls I met, very difficult to explain maybe just was a shy and conservative girl. At the same time, is always ready to have an intellectual conversation, does not mind putting her views strongly at any discussion while respecting others. She has a very strong personality. The question of What kind of relationship I have with her had been in my mind since day one. I can say 'Romantic'. We enjoy each other company. I don't think 'Love' is in the air. We are not only in the same group of friends enjoying Pub crawls around the city (mind you she does not drink alcohol, It is a religious thing) also part of the student Cafe Society.

I just wanted to give her a Valentine Day surprise. I am in a kind of mental state of confusion not knowing what to do. I had already discussed it with my best friend Mathew. The plan was a surprise party in the residential lounge room. Her parents coming that was not possible, needed a new idea. I called Mathew for a piece of advice and asked him " Help me out please, come up with something to make my first Valentines Day unforgettable and make her day,". He proposed to organise a meeting at our regular place "Cafe Bonjour" an hour before her parents arrive in town. As soon as her parent's visits end she will be free and could have a party at the residence hall. I liked the sound of it. It should not be a problem for her. Mathew suggested he would invite her to the Cafe Bonjour as I did not fancy speaking to her in case of another argument or refusal. He promised to get the right information for parents arrival times etc., to make our booking. Later Mathew called me " I spoke to her, no problem she will be at the Cafe at 11 am. She will meet her parents at 12 am," I said "Thanks,". It was a big relief being with her on that special day. I made the reservation at the Cafe Bonjour and ordered a big HEART SHAPED CHOCOLATE CAKE for her from Thornton to be delivered to the Cafe on that day and time. I met with Laila twice before that day our friendship was back to normal.

Valentine Day was a beautiful sunny day. I first went to the local florist and bought a big bunch of red roses and dashed to the Cafe. I needed to be there in time I did not have much of it her parent were due to arrive soon. We all met as arranged. I gave her the flowers first. She was really surprised but her eyes were telling me that she was really happy with it she kissed me quick. Afterwards, the waiter brought the cake to the table and served and shared it with everybody. I had a big thank you and another quick kiss. Time was up by then and we all left in rush. She stayed and waited for her parents. I was also in rush to join my lecturing at 12.30. On the way to campus, I realised I had left the chocolate slice wrapped for me to take it away. I drove back to pick it up.

I walked into the Cafe Bonjour. To be honest, I had left that piece of chocolate on purpose. I was curious about her parents and wanted to see and meet with them. I made an excuse for her. When I entered the cafe to my surprise I saw her sitting with the man. She saw me too and her cheeks suddenly went red. I collected the cake from the counter and walked slowly to her trying to make sense of the strange situation. It was embarrassing and difficult for both of us. She stood up " Hi, let me introduce my husband Ali. He came from Dubai for me to be together on this special day. He will be staying next two days," I don't know how but I managed the smile and said hello and introduced myself. She invited me to sit with them, I excused myself still cold smile on my face just turned around and left the Cafe. They say ' curiosity kills the cat' in my case it was the death of our friendship. I got into my car and started eating my cake. What a Valentine Day to remember well it was a new beginning. Just thought of next year will it be another mistake?

February 15, 2022 11:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

F.O. Morier
12:47 Feb 24, 2022

of course not! have a little faith! next year will be---- better! what a lovely story! i enjoyed it, I have to give you an A- though! you ruined my diet for today! (just kidding.) great work! hope to read more from you.

Reply

Kayhan Egeli
18:52 Feb 24, 2022

Thank you it's great to hear that

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.