0 comments

General

"Good morning Evelyn. How are you doing today?"

"Hello Dr. I wouldn't be here if the answer to that was positive would I?"

"And here I was thinking we were friends. Since we're jumping straight into it..tell me. Why did you ask to come in today? It's not our usual scheduled date. Did something happen with Rick?"

"No no! Rick is fine, he's out of town actually. Work stuff."

"Then what is troubling you?"

"I really wanna tell you, but you'll probably think I'm crazy. You always thought so."

"I have never thought that Evelyn. You know you can share everything you feel comfortable to share with me. You see that psychology degree on the wall? It literally means I cannot legally judge you."

"Well here goes nothing. I have superpowers. And I think I'm having trouble controlling them."

.

.

.

Heading home at the end of the day could not have felt better. Being a psychologist can give you some hard days. It is as rewarding as it is anxiety-inducing. On a good day you just listen to others' problems and secretly feel better about your life. On a bad day.. Well on a bad day you have to figure out how to tell your client that she does not have superpowers. Delusions were quite common within psychotic episodes, but it really depends on the client as to how you will handle it. Evelyn has been coming to the office for 11 years. She has been getting counselling regularly because of various issues that bothered her in life. But a psychotic episode... That one was new for her. I couldn't keep thinking about it to be honest. Time to switch off.

.

.

.

"Hello Renee, did anyone look for me during lunch?"

"No Dr. Moore, it has been eerily quiet today."

"Perfect. Hey, has Evelyn Rines still not made contact?"

"Not just yet. Are you worried about something?"

"I haven't heard from her in 3 weeks. She has never had so much time away. She kinda dropped a bomb on me last time I saw her, but maybe I'm overreacting. I'm gonna head in the office, let me know if any calls come through for me please."

"Of course Dr."

 

   If only I knew today would be so calm, I would've scored me some overtime. I had 20 minutes before my next appointment so I had enough time to prepare. I was organizing my notes on the desk when I heard voices from the foyer. It sounded like Renee, but someone else was yelling.

"LET ME IN! I NEED TO SEE HER, SHE SAID SHE'LL HELP ME!"

I walk out of the door and I see Evelyn.

Good God she looked rough.

"It's okay Renee, let her in." I said, unsure of whether that was a wise decision.

"Have a seat Evelyn, tell me what happened."

She was endlessly pacing now. She looked red, dark circles under her eyes. When was the last time she slept? She was practically shaking. Was this another episode?

"I messed up, I messed up, I messed up. I told you! You said you could help me! And now someone is dead!"

Oh God. SO much for the calm day.

"Evelyn, please take it slow, tell me what happened and I will do my best to help you."

"I told you the powers were getting out of control. I told you I couldn't do anything about it. And so I went for a walk last night, to clear my head. I could see someone following me and I panicked. I didn't wanna do anything but I turned to face him and next thing I knew he was on the ground! So I ran, faster than I ever have, and went home."

"It's okay, it's fine. I am sure the man is okay. Now tell me, where were you?"

"He looked very dead to me. I left him in front of Lyster Park. I didn't even touch him!"

She was having hallucinations now. Hopefully. This was escalating quickly.

"You know what, it was a mistake to come here. You can't help me either!"

"Evelyn, please..." She was already running out before I finished my sentence. I started to chase her but the second I got to the front door, she was nowhere to be seen.

I needed to talk to my superior about this as soon as possible.

.

.

.

 

"I don't know what to do Daniel, she just came in and lost it at me and then ran out. I just feel like I should be doing something!"

"Jane it sounds like she is out of control. We might need to hospitalize her as soon as possible."

"She was right, I should've helped when I first realized she was having episodes. I could've prevented this."

"Jane I'm your superior and I'm telling you, you did nothing wrong. We need to track this girl down before she become a harm to herself or anyone else."

"You don't think she meant it about the man?"

"It seems quite obvious that she was having an episode, I wouldn't worry about it. Go get some sleep Jane, you've had a long day."

"You can say that again."

.

.

.

I drove home in a much worse mood than what I expected for this day. I just wanted to stuff my face with a pizza and get to bed. I found a newspaper on my front porch so I pick it up; some reading will help calm me down. I threw it on the dining table and headed to the fridge to reheat the leftover pizza. I collapsed on one of the dining chairs and felt all the exhaustion dawn on me. I lazily grabbed the paper and unrolled it. I froze. What was on the front cover gave me chills. It was the picture of Lyster Park...above it read the headline 'Man found dead at park; murder suspected'.

Well shit, that was a problem.

.

.

.

Daniel? I know I just left yes. Did you see today's paper?

A man was found at Lyster Park. She was telling the truth!

We need to get to her Daniel, She's not just a case, she's a murder suspect.

.

.

.

We were barging into Evelyn's house within less than 9 hours after that phone call. I stood behind the police until they found her, but I spotter her first, on the floor, with her knees to her chest and her hands cupping her face. I ran to her.

"Evelyn, it's me Jane, it's going to be okay. I believe you. Just come with me."

And just like that without saying a word, Evelyn followed me, and she did not utter a sound until we admitted her to the psych ward.

.

.

.

I sat with her on the floor of her room and tried to talk.

"Evelyn, what happened? How did you kill that man? I can't help you if I don't know." She was too smart to fall for that.

"Do not treat me like a child, I told you I have no idea what happened. Believe me or don't, that's all I know. "

"I do believe you Evelyn, I do. I just need more information. Those people are going to accuse you of murder. I need to be able to stand in a courtroom and defend you. But I cannot do that unless you trust me."

"I told you everything. Now leave. You helped enough."

I could not believe I was in the middle of this. I didn't sign up for any of this. But for some reason I felt responsible.

.

.

.

Hey Daniel. Sorry to bother again.

Yeah everything went smoothly. I just wanted to ask...Do we have any information about who the guy that was found was?

He was?

Okay, thanks for that.

.

.

.

I took the next day off, I needed to go see Evelyn again. As unwanted as I was, I would see this girl's case through.

"Hey Evelyn, I'm here to check on you again. I'm worried."

"No need to be Dr. I'm doing great can't you see?" She was pointing at her bound hands.

"I know about the man. I know what he was. You weren't lying."

"What do you mean?"

"He was a predator. He stalked and preyed on innocent women. He was a known sex offender. Explains why he was hanging around the park that night."

"So you believe me?" She was smiling. She was really smiling.

"I do. I think you didn't imagine that man following you. He really was. I just need to know one thing. How did you kill him? The coroner is busting her head to find a cause of death but there isn't a scratch on him. We can prove self defence Evelyn, just tell me."

She lost the smile again. She was silent again. And she was staring at her hands...again.

.

.

.

Another week had gone past and I still had nothing to work with. Evelyn will not open her mouth and I'm starting to think she will soon end up in jail. And all I keep thinking is the selfish explanation out of this: I should have been better; I should have helped her. But right now, she looks like a demented woman who went on a bender on a psychotic night. And we all know how the justice system treats women who commit violent crimes. I am at a point where I am sleeping in a pool of police reports and my office notes, trying to act like the detective who will figure out what happened, solve the crime, and receive a citizen medal or something. But I'm coming up with nothing, and I feel like I'm on a timer that's running out. Thank God for leftover cold pizza.

.

.

.

Another 3 days have gone past and no one is giving me any updates as to what is happening. I mean yes, I might just be the psychologist of the main suspect but I should know what they were doing by now right? They haven't even let me visit Evelyn in the ward, and that screams suspicious to me. I have already decided I am going to take the day off today. Take a walk, get some fresh air, preferably not at a park because I'm gonna end up thinking about that dead pervert again. I had almost walked out of the door when my phone started ringing. I hastily pick up.

This is Dr. Moore.

Yeah I'm her therapist. Is everything okay?

Calm down, I don't understand you, please, slower.

What?! What do you mean you lost her? How did you let her go?

I'll be there in 10 minutes.

Well this is precisely what I get for praying to get an update on the case. Evelyn is gone.

.

.

.

I arrived at the psych ward no more than 15 minutes later. The moment I walked in, I felt the chaos. The residents were all locked in their rooms but screaming their heads off, their words ineligible. There were police officers everywhere and the workers were running around frantically. I made myself as small and unnoticeable as possible and I started heading to Evelyn's wing. And as I walked I understood why everyone was freaking out. There were three massive holes on the wall, leading from Evelyn's room straight to the backyard, and to freedom. It looked like the wall had been blown up or removed by some kind of superhuman strength. I just stood there, realizing that my body is frozen. I vaguely felt the hospital supervisor approach me. His voice was muffled in my ears.

"We don't understand...she couldn't have gotten any explosives...There are no remnants...Is there someone else who would've helped her from the outside...Police is looking everywhere..."

"They're never going to find her." I was practically whispering.

"Excuse me, what Dr.?"

"She was telling the truth, you're not going to get her."

"The truth? About what? Do you know something Dr.?"

"Do you people not understand! She was NOT psychotic! She wasn't crazy! She told me the truth! She told you all the truth!" Suddenly I had the attention of the whole ward on me

"What was that truth Dr.?"

"She doesn't need explosives or outside help. She doesn't need any of us. She has powers."

"Dr. I don't quite understand what you're insinuating."

 All I could do was turn away from him and face the wall.

"She brought that wall down in the same she killed that man at the park. She has.. Superpowers."

No one responded to me. Everyone just blankly stared at me.

I think I had just landed myself a spot in that psych ward.

 

June 06, 2020 02:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.