The Adventures Of A young Fox

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who goes on a journey.... view prompt

2 comments

Kids

“Everything is fuzzy. Where am i?” I begin to think this as I wake up. My eyes slowly open, I don't feel control of my body. When I finally open my eyes I look at the change of scenery since I've seen blackness for two months. There's lots of animals near me, birds chirping all around me. I'm tiny and fragile. I look around quite terrified, where am I? All of a sudden I see another of my kind that's quite a bit bigger than me. They began to lick me as they were cleaning me. “Welcome my son to this new beautiful world”, she says. 

She begins helping me stand and walk for the first time. It was terribly hard at first but i eventually got a hold of it. Weeks went by as my mother taught me around the wood. Now as i'm getting older we are getting ready for the winter storm. As i'm trying to  find some lovely berries for my mother and I, when I noticed many of the animals running the other way, I heard a very loud noise. I had no clue what i was hearing at the time but now i know and wish i didn't go near it. I get closer as i hear more of this noise and then all of a sudden it is pitch black, where am i? Where am I being taken? These are the things I say to myself as I'm getting carried away to some distant land.

After being terrified for what seems like days, I'm taken inside some kind of building as I see lights through the bag that I'm in. All of a sudden I'm plopped in some kind of room. I tried my best to escape it, but there seemed to be some type of invisible barrier keeping me from getting out. I was quite high off the ground. All of a sudden I was surrounded by many other creatures like me. All around my size with no mothers to protect us. We all were shaking. All of a sudden one of the strange creatures that i have never seen before started staring at me. My first instinct was to growl, which scared off the weird creatures, but more came and I was tired of growling so I just went to sleep. Where is my mother? Where am i? What is gonna happen to me? As I had all these thoughts passing through my mind I tried to ignore them by sleeping. After a while I was finally able to sleep when the strange creatures turned off the lights.

“What a pretty fox isn't it dear!”

“Why yes such pretty coat it has and it is very pretty while he sleeps”

“Can we please get it Father! Oh please father, i promise to take care of it”

“Yes darling you can have any pet you want”

All of a sudden I wake up to one of the strange creatures snatching me like I'm a berry of a bush. Once again I'm put in some type of container with holes, but not big enough for me to escape as I wish. When I was in the strange vehicle, I noticed there were three of these strange creatures. As it seems There was a Man and a Woman, with an offspring as it looked to be a daughter, for it was quite smaller than the rest of the strange creatures. The offspring took me out of this small container I was in and held me. With her soft gentle touch she holds me close to her chest and starts petting me. I had been shaking since I was snatched from my dear home, but this was quite soothing and I stopped shaking as much. As it seemed so quick the vehicle had stopped moving. The older creatures got out of this vehicle and the male one came to the back and opened the younger girls door and took me away from her. I started yelling as loud as I could because that was the only human that I could trust and I was being taken away from her. How could they do this to me? Soon the older women came to soothe me

“Shush my dear you're in good hands!”She said to me as she pets me slowly and gently as the young girl, I begin to trust these strange creatures as I have no other choice, what else would I do? They carry me into their house and put me on the ground ass the little girl comes rushing towards me again. She brought me a bowl of milk and some type of meat I had never had, as I'm eating and drinking she slowly pets me and puts some type of band around my neck. She pets me until I'm very sleepy and takes me to the bed with her and I snuggle up against her and fall asleep with her. Am I happy here?  I have just met this girl but i already love her so much and i have the urge to protect her and i don't know why.


1 year later

I'm all grown up now. I've been with my companion and owner Emily for a year now. We have traveled all over the country and I have never been this happy. I miss my mom everyday and I wish I could tell her about all of my amazing adventures with Emily. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if Emily never bought me. She always takes very good care of me. I know this isn't a normal life for my kind but i love it, and wouldn't trade it for the world. Every night Emily still pets me until I fall asleep and I snuggle up against her to keep her warm through the winter. I will protect Emily with my life forever, as she has done the same for me. I didn't like these strange humans at first but they are not all that bad and I have had many great adventures with my Emily, and i want to have many more as i hope i do.


May 14, 2020 05:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Anja Z
21:25 May 20, 2020

Hi good day … Lovely idea on this story , great job . I would just liked to see the transition from how the animal thinks they are "strange creatures" and now it knows they are humans. Also keep in mind that your thinking from an animal perspective and that the animal would be howling and missing its mom. Other than that you did an fantastic job. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Haley Rush
18:03 May 22, 2020

Thank you :) I’ll remember that next time 💖

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.