0 comments

General

"Now, Liana, Sophiya," Father said. "I would like you to meet Walter Harrington. He's the son of Mr. Harrington."


"Nice to meet you," Walter said, bowing his head slightly.


"Nice to meet you too," I said, as Sophiya bowed her head. I could see her blushing slightly, well, I don't blame her. Walter is quite a handsome man, he had the same dark hair like his father and similar facial features. Except his eyes were green, unlike Mr. Harrington's who had brown.


Father and Mr. Harrington were business partners. They've been working together in the shipping business for the past six months and now tomorrow, they were signing a contract with a larger business company abroad. By doing so, it will benefit our Father's shipping company greatly and in honour of tomorrow's brilliant day, Father and Mr. Harrington have arranged this party. Sophiya and I love seeing Father happy, ever since Mother passed away eight months prior due to a severe heart attack. Sophiya and I comforted each other when we couldn't sleep, but we knew Father had a difficult time. But he never grieved in front of us, perhaps to keep us strong. We believe he only did so behind closed doors at night.


But now, things were looking up and Sophiya and I are so glad that happened.


Sophiya began small talk with Walter and I excused myself to get a drink. I wasn't used to wearing heels since I was naturally tall (5'7") and it was aching me. I was two inches taller than Sophiya was, however, everyone knew she was the beautiful one. "Enjoying the party, Liana?" Mr. Harrington asked me, holding a glass of wine which was quite full.


"Yes, very much, quite a party you and Father have set, Mr. Harrington sir," I responded happily.


"I still think the decorations could have been more extravagant," he said, thoughtfully. I faced him incredulously while he winked in my direction.


"I don't think it could be more extravagant than this," I said, laughing, looking at the chandeliers, fairy lights, the gold and silver decorations. "After all, you chose the most expensive hotel in town for this party."


"Quite right," Mr. Harrington said, smiling. "Just want to end this day with a blast, that's all. Tomorrow, there's a new beginning."


"Indeed," I said, grinning. "Mr. Harrington sir, I'm really happy you and Father have come this far, ever since Mother passed away, I never thought I'd see Father so happy."


"I'm glad to hear that, however I wonder how long that would last," Mr. Harrington said, sighing. I faced him as he added, "You know, now that we're going to expand our business, there will be failures. But I guess your father and I are ready for that."


"I hope so," I said, now slightly worried after his words.


"Sorry, didn't mean to upset you, dear," Mr. Harrington said, patting my arm with a small smile. I still probably looked worried, because he handed me the wine he was holding and added, "Here, have another drink, I'll go get myself a new one. We're here to celebrate today! Start new beginnings! Let's not worry about the future today! Alright?"


"Okay," I said, smiling.


"That's the spirit," Mr. Harrington said, smiling. "Now enjoy the party, Liana. And keep my son company, will you? He's not very good in social events."


"Yes, sir," I said and he walked off. I walked out to the balcony to get some fresh air, taking small sips of the wine. I promised Father I wouldn't drink too much since I was still seventeen. The balcony doors opened and Sophiya walked over to me, followed by Walter. "Hey," I said, smiling. "Sorry, I just needed some fresh air."


"I have something to tell you both," Walter said, walking towards us. "We've been looking for you."


"Sorry," I said, placing the drink on the banister. "What's going on?"


Sophiya and I looked at him carefully. Walter looked back and seeing no one was coming, handed us a small notebook. It had a worn brown cover and the pages were almost falling apart. "What's this?" Sophiya asked, taking the notebook.


"It belonged to my grandmother," Walter said. "My father's mother. I found it in the attic and was quite excited to read it...however, I believe I shouldn't have."


"Why?" I asked.


"Please read it," he said.


Sophiya and I looked at the pages, some entries were clearly written but some were unreadable. We began reading the first entry -


18th November, 1971


Moving in to a new place is always difficult. The new place here seems quite peaceful, I hope me and Aunt Meredith are able to stay here and make a living. She says this will be permanent, we would not be moving from here. Well, I believe that's one good thing. It will take time to adjust though.


We flipped through the pages carefully, most of her handwriting not understandable due to the ink blotches.


"Find entry 12th December 1971," Walter said.


We did.


12th December, 1971


It has been a good day. There was a light snow, everything looks pretty ethereal. Robert and I went to the park and talked for hours. Considering his wealth, you'd expect him to be an arrogant person, however he's a simple man and someone I have a lot in common with. But due to our social rankings, I wonder why he is with me. I can overlook all that though, for I do really enjoy our time together. Since Aunt Meredith is busy mostly, I am glad to be accompanied by Robert. Perhaps, that's one of the things I look forward to these days.


"Robert?" Sophiya asked. "Who's-"


I looked at Walter, feeling shocked. "You don't mean this is...you mean to say this Robert that she's writing about...is our grandfather??"


"Shh," Walter said, looking back. Then fixing his blue eyes on me he said, "Yes, he's your grandfather...and mine."


"So...that makes Mr. Harrington...then that makes you...our half-brother?" I asked him, shocked.


"I don't know really, I just found out you two are, somewhat, my family considering my grandmother had an affair with Robert Sinclair," he stated.


"How...How can that be?" Sophiya asked. "He's...he was married to our grandmother when he was 21 years old."


"That's right, Robert Sinclair played with an innocent young girl," Walter said, sadly.


"That can't be," I told him.


"Read her final entry," he said, flipping to the last three pages.


13th July, 1972


The days are passing by slowly. I am done running. I'm usually tired but I need to stay strong for the baby. These women who have taken me in in this orphanage are really kind, I'm thankful for it. The small children here are really lovable, it's so sad that some of their parents have abandoned them. Such a cruel world we live in.


Robert and his slaves have stopped searching for me, not being able to find me. After I found out who he truly was, I was upset for he has a wife and a very lovely one at that and a son who's one year old by now. I shouldn't have threatened him of exposing his nature, perhaps that way Aunt Meredith would have survived. When he found out that I was going to have a child, he was ready to kill me along with our child too. Of course I had to run away...things haven't really been going well up till now.


I am at peace now, I'll probably stay here in the orphanage for as long as I live. I just hope my son or daughter never suffers the way I do. That is it for now, until next time.


"What happened next?" I asked, turning the pages slowly only to find them blank.


"My grandmother passed away two months later when she gave birth to my father," Walter said, sadly. "He was adopted by the wealthy Harrington family and he found out he was adopted later on. Father went looking for who his real parents were and he found the diary when he returned to the orphanage and...ever since then he has been seeking revenge."


"Revenge?" Sophiya asked.


"For what happened to my grandmother," Walter said. "I recently found this diary, and then I found his motive. He's going to betray your father tomorrow, take his company as his own and join with the one abroad. After all, it was our grandfather who founded this shipping company years ago."


Sophiya and I exchanged glances of horror. I looked back at Walter and asked suspiciously, "Is this true? Or are you scheming with him too?"


"No, I am not," Walter said, genuinely serious. "It was my grandfather's fault after all, I don't blame your father or you both, unlike Father who wishes only ill of the Sinclair family...I mean, Grandfather was the one who did wrong and you all face the consequences? That isn't fair." Then he looked grave all of a sudden as he added, "However, I'm sorry to say your mother had to face them."


"What do you mean?" I asked, as Sophiya furrowed her eyebrows.


"I'm deeply sorry," Walter said, bowing his head. "My father paid one of your servants to poison her."


Sophiya and I gasped in unison. I looked at my sister, who had tears in her eyes. "We have to warn Father," I said, looking at Walter. "I don't know if this means anything to you, now that we know you're our family...but thank you fo-"


I felt a sharp pain in my chest, dangerously close to my heart. "Liana? Liana!" I heard Walter and Sophiya call out in panic as Walter held me so that I won't go crashing to the floor. "Liana?!" I began coughing violently, my chest aching.


"Was there something in her drink?" I heard Walter say, suddenly remembering that it was Mr. Harrington who gave me that wine. Was he trying to poison me too?


"I'll go call the ambulance," I heard Walter say, as spots danced across my eyes and closed my mouth to control the coughing. But when I removed my hand, I found I was coughing up blood.


"Liana? Liana, nothing will happen to you, help is on the way, you'll be alright," Sophiya was saying in a rush.


Warn Father, Soph, I thought. You have to warn Father. Walter will help you, please warn Father...


Father, who was finally pleased with everything that was going on. How is he going to feel when he finds out that he is going to be betrayed? That, too, by his own half-brother? And he has poisoned me. Am I going to see Mother again then? So soon? The pain jolted through my chest, making me feel dizzy, until I lost consciousness completely.

August 19, 2020 11:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.