0 comments

Drama Fantasy

The bells are singing once more upon this city I have created. Hundreds of people walk like voided souls amongst the streets and white doves fill the blue sky with nothing but a feeling of peace. Why but why does it feel like my work is not done yet? Have I forgotten something important? Is my Kin not as established amongst Humankind like I am? The bells…they are still singing my name. Here on my bed atop a tower amidst the clouds, I hear them loud and clear. What have I done wrong this time? Has my reign been toxic? Have I maimed my people with how I ruled this Kingdom? NO! I cannot be of such informalities have not been caused by me! They still need me! Need their king!

The sun shines in my room, my legs feel numb and cold once more. Have I gotten daft with power? No no, this is not my final hour! I am still in control! Or am I truly? Ten years it has been since the last time I stepped into my throne room. And yet I still lead this country from up here, right? There is no way I have gotten pushed away yet! I looked after my sheep, like I was being tasked by my father so many decades ago. I cannot fail him now when I hear bells singing, people screaming and factories huffing. They need me! They need a King…an Emperor! I am far from done! They still are as clueless as toddlers. No way they will be able to master steam and locomotion as they dream!

And yet, my body is getting more and more stiff, colder too. I cannot even muster the strength to keep my eyes open as they should. Am I drifting back to sleep? NO! I won’t allow my body to rest just yet! A new age is nigh before us. My children, my flock, it needs me! These types of machinery and obscurities will not keep them safe! Why do the bells still ring? It’s passed 12…Am I still dreaming? No this cannot be. Otherwise, I wouldn’t see beyond what I think and feel. Is my denying finally coming to an end? Have I really reached the ascend to a new world? Everything feels so cold, yet still so colorful and happy. I cannot have become so irrelevant, that’s not true! People of the world, you are walking amongst my kingdoms! How can you treat me like I am only just a fountain? The bells, they still chime. Now it has been 21 times.

High rises my crown of authority, low plows my hand in the fruitful lands of this world. I shaped and molded carefully with my brethren, and yet you have shown nothing but disrespect for my work?! If only I could rise to anger like I used to so I can linger just a bit longer. But Humankind? It has moved on…or has it truly? Kings and Conquerors have fallen because of me. I am the ultimate defender from the sea. And yet I fly so high in this tower, I slowly start to feel like I am a coward. Has the crown tainted my view of the world? Or why do I suddenly feel more powerful again?

Ah, that’s what it is. The people do recognize me at last. They know they cannot be without me, even with all their new stuff. I made life; I can take it away. I am sheer limitless and anywhere! I am the emperor of O-she-an and whatever I want, will become an absolute! Oh, do not mistake me for a senile old man. My age would probably go over your head anyways. I am here to rule for as long as I please. I become younger again if they believe. I might look old and wrinkly now, but soon I could look different. There is no point in explaining. Anyhow, the walls the have to be made taller again! Threads have come to take away my precious lands, and I will not allow it to be taken away! I am far from irrelevant! I reign supreme!

And once more, I hear the bells chimes again. Nothing has changed?! What is this frivolity?! I said to higher the walls, to stop the huffs. And yet, these people walk around without a doubt the made something wrong. My tower, it ascends even more into the clouds, or is this smoke? The smell is unbearable, I can hardly see what’s going on down there. I can feel rivers drained, wilderness tamed and new lands found. Has my Kin moved on without me, or have I truly just dreamt this entire thing all along? I cannot wrap my hand around it anymore! I must see why they do not listen! Forget about the height, about the glory. I want to be taken seriously with my authority! Where are my men? What has happened to my fruitful acres? Has everything come to waste? Come to a roaring stop with high cost?

I finally understand after long last. This is no present I live in no more. My eyes have deceived me since day one. I was being used as a mere puppet. There has never been an authority in the first place, and yet I know they believe I am their leader. No more! My empire belongs to me and me alone! I have established it long ago, and I will bring it down if I must. Ah, the view is clear. There are no doves, no blue sky. War machines and dusts of loss…that’s what I’ve seen. The bells did not chime for me, it was for those with lost legacies. People of the world, can you not, see? The world enveloped in smoke and envy? What has become of my Empire? My once-prosperous fields? Nothing but Ash and Sud amongst the killed and those cloaked under hoods. Hiding their face, hiding their dreams. This place is no longer mine. I finally at long last understand.

I have long died and saw progress without meaning. My kin, it tried hard to stay in power. They lost and were thrown out of this once safe world. War Mongers and thieves in the shadows, know that my will is going to be inherited by others. Floods will bring them forth, and earthquakes will shape them. The 11 Heroes of light will bring balance to this chaos. Be warned because they will not be the only ones. Time and time again, they will come back. Until the very last day, nothing’s out of balance. Those heroes will come forth, they are my lingering will. The empire might not come back, but peace will. Far lands of Santi, heed my warning. Your Star Mission has only begun. I am far from being relevant, but neither am I the opposite.

See it as a Dis-irrelevance.

July 11, 2022 13:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.