4 comments

Fiction Sad Inspirational

It was on the 10th of December, our house was surrounded by a fancy table design, colorful balloons, and flavorsome chocolate cake that I liked the most. Many children wore various costumes. Each of them brought an enormous present. The funny clown told hilarious stories that made the guests cackled with laughter. The environment is shrouded with pleasure. 


    "Stephanie are you ready to go outside?" with great enthusiasm on her face. She was my first supporter, my life and everything, my mom. I was so blissful and fortunate to have such an extraordinary woman in my life. "Oh, my baby is now a lady!" with pride and fulfillment. She hugged me as she did ten years ago. "I'll be at your side, for the rest of my life." She acted weird sometimes and made things exaggerated. Well, I used to it. Still, she was my half no matter what life was. 


     Outside, were some of my peers waiting for me. "Stephanie, you look so gorgeous!" My cheeks turned red with embarrassment. A compliment from a boy whom I adored the most was the best thing that happened to my life. I just nodded and thanked him. "Here, take it, wishing you all the best." My heart seemed to explode, I heard the strong beating of my heart. He made my day.


     "Happy 10th Birthday, Stephanie!"The defeating noise of happiness covered the entire place. I looked everywhere, they were very happy for me. " Happy birthday, Stephanie here our present for you!" The gigantic, pink teddy bear that I wished to have for a long time. I was startled when it talked, it was battery operated. 


     It was eight years ago, but still grateful for the glorious natal day that I had. I just opened my window and saw the alluring flowers, the new hope, and fate that anyone could wait for. "Stephanie, come here!" The loud voice of my mom made me a surprise since then. I hurriedly went downstairs to talk to her. "I bought a splendor gown that fits you!" The tone of her voice was still the same. She was my marvelous mom. 


     The day after tomorrow, I received an email from a man who owned my heart. "Hi, how's your day going? I want to tell you that, you're always in my heart even if we're far apart." He was the only man who stole my heart eight years ago. He was living in America to pursue his study, while I was living in Singapore. Well, for us distance didn't matter as long as we're still in love with each other. 


    At night, I couldn't sleep well it seemed that I was so excited for tomorrow's event. Well, I was certain that it could alter my perspective as a woman. After a long time of waiting, I finally fell asleep like a log. "Stephanie come here, hurry!" I abruptly woke up without noticing that I didn't wear my slippers. "Mom, why are you shouting?" She just smiled at me. My dad gave me a small box, I didn't have any idea what was inside. "Opened it!" I was amazed by what I had received, it was a gold necklace the pendant was a heart one that bound us together. 


    They made a lot of surprises since I was a child until now. "Take a shower then after, the makeup artist will groom you" I was so excited for it took me five minutes to take a bath. As they expected, the makeup artist was amazing, she made me gorgeous. "Hurry! Stephanie got into the car, your makeup would be erased because of the rays of the sun!" He teased me well. 


    One of the famous hotels was the Fullerton Hotel here in Singapore. That was my dreamed hotel. Finally, I stepped into the magnificent place. The venue was stunning and elegant. The guests were looked handsome and gorgeous in their sophisticated gowns and suits. One thing I was certain of, it was not a dream or delusion. All of these were genuine. They all stared at me for a long time. It seemed that they were mesmerized by my transformation."You're so beautiful!" with astonishment in her voice. My face turned red as what happened to me eight years ago. I was a bashful one. I was easily got shy of the compliments I received from them.


     This was the best thing that happened during my eighteen years of existence. I had my eighteen roses and my first dance, my father. I couldn't believe what my eyes saw. "I miss you so much! " He hugged me tightly. "Mark you didn't inform me!" with teary eyes and longing for him. The guests were grateful for what I received on my 18th birthday. I was considered a princess for having a luxurious life and adorable people who surrounded me.


     "I'll drive you to the airport, Mark" with fear on my face. While driving I felt loneliness, I couldn't explain it. "Are you alright?" I just smiled at him. He held my hand. "Please, wait for me again" I loved him more than myself, he knew it. Our hearts were covered with sorrow and worry, it would take years again before we saw each other. At the airport, he hugged me tightly. "I'll be back soon!" 


      Two years passed by, "Hon, prepare now food for our guests!" My husband was still supportive since then. I just picked the call from our favorite son, Mark."Mom, I'm coming!" with excitement. The house was still the same, the atmosphere didn't alter. I stared at Stephanie's photo for a long time. Someone held my shoulder. "She's very proud of you, Mark!" with contentment in her voice. 


     "Happy 20th birthday, Stephanie!" We're so lucky to have a kind-hearted daughter, and pleased to have a princess. We celebrated her birthday even she wasn't with us anymore, but she would remain in our hearts. It was two years from now when she lived us due to a car accident. 


November 27, 2020 15:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

00:13 Dec 01, 2020

Rachel, First I wanna say, I am sooooo sorry! I said I would read your stories and it completely forgot! But I remembered so I'm back! Second this was such an intriguing story!! I really really enjoyed the mystery of it all, I liked how you switched points of views, that was really nice. I enjoyed how you explained her view on her parents and also the little details you added in. Some critique - "It was two years from now when she lived us due to a car accident. " - Hmm I'm not sure what you meant here, did you mean left? "My dad g...

Reply

Rachel Cerbito
09:02 Dec 01, 2020

Hi, hope you're doing great! Oh, no worries about that. Thank you for giving me some feedback about my story, I'll take it as a great help for me. Anyways, about your questions, here are my answers; she died two years ago because of a car accident. Their parents and her boyfriend were still celebrating her birthday even she was not there anymore. I also changed my point of view. In the last part of the story. Her mother was the one who talked. Hope, I answer all your questions. 😊 P.S. I'll take all your suggestions. Thank you so much!

Reply

20:48 Dec 01, 2020

Of course! And ohhh that makes sense! Yay! I'm glad they helped youuu! I'm doing good, how about you?

Reply

Rachel Cerbito
12:35 Dec 02, 2020

My pleasure, I'm doing great! Thanks for asking, hope you too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.