1 comment

Contemporary Crime Fiction

Mavis looked out of the bedroom window just as there was a crack of thunder that seemed to shake the earth beneath them. It was difficult to see anything as the rain came lashing down and large droplets made tunnels to the windowsill outside. A flash of lighting lit up the darkened sky and the garden she spent so much time in. Beautiful golden, orange and red autumn leaves, she had been admiring the day before, were now sodden on the ground. The storm was overhead just like the one in this house she thought, as her husband of fifteen years continued his tirade. 

  “I can’t take your constant carping any longer,” he shouted above the storm. “Our marriage is over so you’d better get used to it.”

  Resigned to the fact that he was leaving to go and live with her best friend, Marian, Mavis only had one thought on her mind - revenge. They’d known each other since their school days and had shared everything over many years of friendship. ‘Share and share alike’ they used to say when trying on each other’s clothes. Sharing her husband with Marian was another thing entirely and when she’d found out their friendship had been beyond repair.

  Paul was still a handsome man at forty-five. Tall with a fine physique and black hair kept neat with a smattering of grey. His once bright blue eyes were now cold and she thought he looked ugly when he was in this mood spewing his hate.

  “I can’t wait to get away from you Mavis. The very sight of you makes me sick.” He spat out his words as he put some of his clothes in a suitcase. “And don’t think you can stay in this house because I’m going to sell up. You’re won't get your greedy little hands on it.”

  Mavis continued to stare out of the window. She could see his angry reflection but didn’t have the energy to respond to his diatribe. If she did it would only make matters worse. Their marriage had been a happy one for a few years and neither of them had wanted children. They were too selfish to be parents.  

  She knew about his affairs and chose to ignore them but Paul’s sexual desires had become more bizarre over the last few months. When she adamantly refused his demands a few weeks ago he walked out in such a dark mood it had scared her. She’d always regarded herself as a strong woman but she had found it difficult to keep a calm exterior while he looked at her menacingly.             

  She stayed with Paul because she didn’t want to leave their large, detached house and enormous garden. Liking the comfortable lifestyle she had become accustomed to was reason enough as far as she was concerned.

  Suddenly, lightning lit up the whole room and the tremendous thunderbolt that followed sounded like a bomb exploding. It brought the chimney crashing through the roof and part of the bedroom ceiling fell on top of her husband. Mavis was covered in dust and stood rooted to the spot unable to move for a few minutes then she calmly walked over to Paul. He was lying on the floor beside their bed, covered in plaster and rubble with blood pouring from a head wound. Looking up at the gaping hole in the ceiling she could see the level of destruction.  

  Carefully stepping round the chaos she walked over to the dressing table. Leaning over she wiped the dust from the large round mirror and took a long look at herself after brushing dust and debris from her face, head and shoulders. She knew she was still beautiful at forty-one. Swivelling her hips she admired her slim, neat figure just as she heard Paul trying to speak. His voice was barely audible and she had to crouch down to hear him.

  “Ambulance,” he murmured.

  “Ambulance … oh yes of course darling.”

  Mavis walked into the front bedroom to use the telephone. Paul heard her calling 999 and hoped they’d come soon. The pain in his head was excruciating and he could barely move. He felt his life slipping away.

  Coming back into their bedroom she cautiously walked over to her bedside cabinet avoiding large pieces of ceiling and what had been the chimney. Reaching for her handbag she took out a compact mirror from the zipped compartment and went back to where Paul lay. He had lost consciousness. Crouching down beside him she placed the mirror over his mouth and it misted over slightly.

  Moments later she was loading the dishwasher. She picked up the plate with the remaining lasagne, his favourite meal, wrapped it and threw it into the bin outside. The rainswept garden resembled a disaster zone with patio furniture blown up against the fence. Fallen branches were all over the lawn and large a part of the fence was missing. The summer house had been lifted off its base and thrown to the bottom of the garden. Outside the patio doors there was a pile of debris from the damaged roof. Now all was calm as the storm subsided.  

  How glad she was that they lived in a detached house in the country a long way from their nearest neighbour so nobody would be nosing around. She didn’t want the incident reported until she was ready to do it herself.

  Elation swept over her as she thought of what life would be like without Paul. Recently he’d been threatening to change his will but now he wouldn’t be able to so everything would come to her.

  After wiping her wet shoes on the doormat Mavis went back upstairs to check on him again putting the mirror to his mouth once more. This time it did not mist over. She moved some plaster from his neck and felt for his pulse. Paul was dead! She walked into the front bedroom once more to use the telephone but this time she did call 999.  

Geraldine Ann Ford

September 12, 2024 20:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
15:21 Sep 14, 2024

Oh, poor, poor cheating Paul🥴.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.