0 comments

General

It is a bright and sunny morning in Wisconsin with a high of 90 degrees and you just woke up to the smell of freshly made pancakes and bacon. You get out of bed to get dressed for the last day of your senior year of high school. You decide to wear something nicer than usual to school. When you get down stairs to eat breakfast you find your best friend Aaron helping your mom make breakfast. You and Aaron have known each other ever since you were in diapers and have been inseparable BFFs ever since. You and Aaron have been BFFs and you have never had anything romantic like with him but you have always had this feeling between both of you. You are afraid to say something to Aaron about how you feel about him because you don’t want it to mess up your relationship you have with him as best friends so once again you don’t say a word to him. While you are eating breakfast with Aaron you see two college forms, one is to the college you are planning on going and the other is to a college on the other side of the country. After seeing that form you feel a bit down knowing that you want what is best for him but you also don’t want him to leave you. 

Aaron always drives you to school in his car but today he brought a different car to pick you up. After school you and Aaron always meet up right outside the school doors but today he is really late which isn’t like Aaron at all. Finally you see him walking through the doors. When he is standing right next to you you start to feel butterflies in your stomach. When you finally find the courage to look him in the eyes you see that his hair is wet from taking a shower and that he isn’t wearing the same clothes as he wore to school. While walking to his car you smell something. “Is he wearing cologne? That’s weird he never wears cologne.” You think to yourself on your way to his car. 

On your way home you do a lot of thinking. Suddenly Aaron takes a wrong turn that has you left confused. 

“Hey, Aaron, where are we going? You just missed our turn.”

 “Oh yeah I forgot to tell you I asked your mom if we could go to a party at a friends house and she said that you could come. And since you were already wearing something nice I didn’t think I had to say something about bringing an extra pair of clothes. Which you do look amazing by the way.” 

You don’t believe your ears. Did he really just say that I look amazing? Okay never mind that it was just a compliment no biggy. “Thanks, but you know I don’t like parties” 

“ Yeah I know and that might be one reason why I didn’t tell you. I just want to go out and have fun with you for once.”

Hold up there it is again! Wait a minute is he blushing?! Is he trying to flirt with me?!

“But we don’t have to go if you really don’t want to. I can just take you home if you want.”

“No Aaron, I want to go to the party. Lets go have some fun.”

The rest of the car ride was silent. You can feel the tension building up. The rest of the way you only steal a few glances at him and ever so often you catch him looking at you. Finally the car stops at this huge house full of people and for some reason you start to regret coming. You follow Aaron into the house and as soon as you walk through the door the music is blasting in your ears. Walking through the crowd you lose sight of Aaron. You walk through the crowd rapidly looking for Aaron. You start to feel really small and have to get out of that room before you have a full blown panic attack. You finally get outside and sit down on the back steps. Suddenly you have tears running down your face and you start crying. Then you hear someone walking towards you and you wipe away your tears to hide the fact that you were crying. You feel a hand on your shoulder and someone sits next to you. When you look at them it’s Aaron. You embrace him in the biggest hug you can muster and he hugs you back. 

“Are you okay, I turned around and didn’t see you anywhere. I started looking everywhere for you and I figured you might be out here.”

Instead of responding you just nod your head. After a while Aaron lets go and stands up.

“I think it’s time to go. I have somewhere I want to go before we head home.”

You nod your head and start walking to the car, but before you get in the car you just stop.

“Hey are you okay? Is something wrong?”

“Oh no, sorry I’m fine I thought I was forgetting something.”

“Okay then let’s go.”

You get into the car and feel so stupid that you could slap yourself. You just start thinking. “Why did I stop walking and not turn around and tell him how I feel? Why am I so stupid?” 

“Hey where are we going?”

“You will see. Do you trust me.”

“Yes of course I trust you.”

Your imagination starts thinking of where he might be taking you. You get all excited about where you are going and just can’t wait to get there. You feel the car stop and go to open the door but Aaron grabs your hand to stop you first.

“Okay now when you get out I want you to close your eyes and don’t open them till I say.”

“Okay.”

You hear Aaron get out and walk towards you. When he gets over to you you take in a sharp breath when you feel him put his hands on your hips. 

“Okay I am going to help direct you so you don’t fall.” 

You nod your head and let out a faint okay. As he helps lead you, you feel safe in his arms. You go to speak but before you get a word out Aaron says “Okay you can look now.” When you look, you find yourself standing in a huge grassy field but then what seemed to be thousands of fireflies are putting on a light show.

“Oh my gosh it’s beautiful!”

“I have been meaning to take you here but I just haven’t found the right time till now. It had to be today because otherwise I might not get the chance again. I have also been meaning to tell you that I was given two scholarships.”

“I saw the pamphlets this morning.”

“I have put a lot of thought into this decision and I chose to go to college across the country. I am supposed to start packing my bags for college tomorrow. I know That we were going to go to the same school but I just think that if I do go with you that I would be holding you back from everything you could accomplish.”

“Just say it,” you silently remind yourself. You know you will regret it if you don’t.

“Aaron if you really think that you are holding me back you are dead wrong. You are the thing that drives me to be better every day.”

“Really?”

“Yes really! And there is something I want to tell you if I never see you again. I have been wanting to tell you for a long time now but somethings always kept me from saying it so here it is. Aaron you are my best friend but I have always wanted to be more than that. I have only not said something to you about it because I didn’t want to mess up what we already have. So I guess what I’m trying to say is Aaron Paul Baker I love you, I always have and I always will.”

“Wow, I can’t believe it. I have always wanted to tell you the exact same thing. I could kiss you! That is only if you want me to anyway.”

Before Aaron can say another word you kiss him right on the lips taking him by surprise.

“I’m so sorry I don’t know why I did that.”

The next thing you know Aaron is kissing you back. It is long and passionate. His lips are so soft that it’s almost magical, but it eventually ends.

“So does this mean you will stay with me?”

“If I had known you felt this way I wouldn’t have even considered leaving you before. So, yes I’m staying!”

“Thank god! I don’t know what I would do with you.”

The night ends with a laugh and Aaron takes you home. When you get to your house you go to open the door but you stop and blurt out “Stay with me.” You saying this catches Aaron off guard.

“You want me to stay at your house?!”

“Yes!”

“You're sure.”

“Yes! Just come on!”

You open your door and get out. You stay waiting for Aaron to get out and when he does you are so happy he decided to stay. When you get inside you take his hand and you run upstairs to your room. The rest of the night is history and full of fun.

June 22, 2020 18:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.