Collection of 4 short stories by Aditri

Written in response to: Start your story with the arrival of a new person in a town full of gossips.... view prompt

0 comments

Funny Mystery Romance

Mystery of The Ugly Widow

Hers was the last cottage on Ophelia Street. Mysterious as it was, it housed old Ms. Peregrine. She was a widow. Old and ugly, she was considered an omen of bad luck. Her husband's sudden death had scarred her youth, leaving her to welcome a life of great misery. Her daughter had unfathomably vanished into thin air on the day of the mourning. Nobody had ever seen Ms. Peregrine after that day. Rumors were that she had committed suicide, unable to bear the agony. But she hadn't. I had seen her face. Ghastlier than peoples' descriptions. She resided in a tumble-down ruin. God knows how she survived there. Did she live off rats and lizards? Or did she have groceries delivered? But the truth was far from reality. She drank off the blood. A living person's blood. She clung to the skin until she had sucked the life out of people. No wonder our town's population was descending. She came out at night, furious with inanition and hunger. One thundery night, I woke up, unable to doze off. I wish I had though. Bad luck had enveloped me, presenting me with her horrendous features. I noticed that she was carrying a lifeless body. I ran away in horror, in extreme terror. This incident changed the course of my life. By then, I was certain that I was her next prey. The next day, I left Belford. I took a carriage to Bilbrough, my brother lived there. I got a nice job, a cottage, and most importantly, freedom from the horrifying town of the Old Widow. 

~BloggerGirl aka Aditri 

An unexpected lover at the park

January 16, 2038

"What is life?" I asked myself earlier today at the park. I was swinging while a cool breeze softly blew by every once in a while. In the stillness of the twilight, the only sound was of the leaves rustling. The weather was perfect. I had the whole park to myself, as nobody came in at this time of the night. I was questioning the spirits that wandered around me about the philosophy of life. I got off the swing and strolled around, admiring the beauty of nature. It was not until I reached the fountain that I found out I was not entirely alone. I saw a bent figure on the bench, sniffling. I approached the mysterious person. I tapped him lightly on the shoulder which, startled him. He turned around, and I saw the most attractive boy I had ever seen. I was dumbfounded, for I had never in my life seen such a sculpted face. I stood there like an idiot, my eyes fixated on him. It was love at first sight for me. Thankfully, a fly came buzzing near my ear and broke into my reverie. I asked him why he was out here in the dark and why he was crying. He didn't reply but just sat there, bawling his eyes out. I sat next to him and tried to comfort him. Finally, a few words escaped his lips. He told me he had caught his girlfriend cheating on him. He added that love had made him too blind to see his girlfriend's pseudo-affection. I understood his pain, as I, once, had gone through this too. It broke my heart to see him suffer, so I gave him a hug, hoping that he would feel better. It felt heavenly to be in his arms. He smelled of what must have smelled the best. I tried not to fall for him, but he had already stolen my heart. Ohh, how I wanted to taste those lips of his. Our eyes met and we gazed into each other and without a second thought, I locked my lips into his and he kissed me back passionately. I realized at this moment that I had met my soulmate. I think he felt the connection too! After our fiery kiss, we engaged in a warm embrace. It was the best feeling! By then, it was past midnight, but we couldn't care less......all we wanted was each other. We decided to spend the night at my house since he had just moved in. 

January 17, 2038

Yesterday we spent all night snuggled up close to each other. Finally, the void was filled, filled with his eternal love. I woke up next to him and I wanted to every day. His hazelnut brown eyes had hypnotized me. He was ruffling my hair and I loved the feel of it. He told me that he loved me more than anyone else. We decided to stay in today and get to know each other better. We made out on the couch and cuddled the whole day. 

I proposed to him a few months later. AND WE GOT MARRIED!!

Present - November 3, 2038

Now, we are parents to three - our baby girl, Charlotte, our baby boy, Aiden, and our golden retriever, Zumzin.  

~BloggerGirl aka Aditri

A TOUCH OF CINNAMON

His eyes had a touch of cinnamon. All I noticed when I first met him. I had seen no such glamour before. He had me enthralled or as they call it, Love at first sight. His love......it wasn't short-lived, it was eternal. It was immortal, it was timeless, it was........... words fall short in front of it. Without a little twist of fate, I know I'd still be searching for him. We even have a date planned. I can't wait till tomorrow! Woohoo! I will be wearing my chic floral dress. And as for him, he looked perfect in everything. I am going out to buy some stuff for tomorrow. I am gonna make some chicken with a side of green beans and for dessert, I think vanilla ice cream would be amazing.

Next Day

 As always, he looked stunning. I could see from his expressions that he loved the food. He complimented me with a warm kiss. He asked me for some water, and I noticed that he had a thick voice, but that was probably because he was an Aussie. All night through, we cuddled and finally fell asleep with him nuzzling my neck. I hope to make more of these incredible moments with my Australian Shepherd. 

-A HOPELESS ROMANTIC

Late for Charlotte

"Oh shit! It can't be happening again," I said to myself as I was maniacally rushing through the airport. I was on a wild-goose chase after my priceless emerald wedding ring. This was the height of carelessness. My fiance had given it to me so lovingly, and here I was, going around misplacing it. To top it off, the boarding was starting in 20 minutes. I decided to report it to the authorities, but I wanted to try my luck once more before doing that. I recalled that I had taken it off in the Tanishq store to try on another one. I wanted to surprise my sis-in-law, Christine for her birthday and had decided to gift her a diamond ring. By the time I had reached Tanishq, I was out of breath and out of time. I enquired about it at the cash desk. They said they had found one and quickly fetched it. I recognized it immediately. It was, without a doubt, mine. Whew! I breathed a sigh of relief! I hurried past the colorful stores and kiosks, to the boarding gate. I made it just in time!! I cheerily boarded the plane, as though I had accomplished something ginormous. Well, losing a ring and finding it in 20 minutes was a strenuous task. I even treated myself to a chocolate on the plane. Well, what can I say........stress makes me hungry. 

~BloggerGirl aka Aditri

January 31, 2022 05:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.