3 comments

Black Fiction Romance

Just writing to tell you about what I overheard and witnessed on a bus this morning. I was sitting on my favorite window side cherry, I am sure you recalled I like sitting on the window side like some tourists do when this thirtyish lady sitting near me began vibrating like most of them do these days without giving a damn if you are listening in or not or the topic of discussion. Our people seem to have this problem of dropping one bad habit and picking up another. There is no way of leaving space open for good to replace bad. Nay, Cherry. Not the youths of this era. This lady was vibrating non-stop to her friend who was sitting not more than two steps away from her and was shouting as if she was delivering a sermon like many of them do these days in a bus.

She was telling her friend how one sachet of traditional medicine she bought on a bus she entered few days ago was the ultimate of all the herbal medicine she had ever taken. "It's equivalent of deep freezer" she was demonstrating with her hands and was laughing in a high-pitched voice when she said something she believed to be amusing. She was ignorant of the reason some passengers were thrown glance her way, she must have mistaken their interest in her, she believed they were enjoying her stories for she raised not only the voice but the pitch of her laughter a pitch. According to her, internal heat had been her bedmate for long till by luck, she bought the traditional medicine and decided to give it her benefit of the doubt.

How neat, young, and educated someone is she found out is of great importance in marketing any wares. If you twist tradition a little the reaction to your preaching will elicit a great response. " truly, if you can break a tradition a bit Cherry, things will work out well in your favor. She said it was because it was a lady selling the medicine which you will normally see males doing and not only that, the lady was a graduate which is the reason she was moved like others to try the medicine. How can a woman and young one and graduate for that matter be in a bus selling what it is usually males doing?

" the price was a little on the high side but people were rushing and I was moved too. I paid for it" she was demonstrating with her hands as she talked. Cherry, she is the type that invites all her members into participation once their mouths are in action. "I got home and rushed without undressing first to prepare this medicine as the lady directed. I wanted to test many things, not only the efficacy of the medicine but how sound we are as humans on earth." those were the exact words of this lady shouting and laughing like a mad fellow in a public bus Cherry. She said "How sound we are as humans." when I heard those phrases from her, I turned fully to see who was saying those words near me. Oh yeah, I know what is going on in your mind but I couldn't help it when I heard those words. I imagined who many in the bus wrote off within minutes of her raised voice and laughter making those "how sound" utterances. That moment was when I focused well. I believed she was one of "them" those them in the sense we use it here.

Cherry, that was when I found that truly, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Someone many were even murmuring has no manners and were checking out another and using another to determine how deteriorated the society and humans in it are through traditional medicine. It's not always good to judge the books from their covers.

"I took half a glass like the lady directed and within a minute, all my system that had been on fire for months went ice cold" That was her world, not mine. " All these years I had been wondering what had been happening inside me till I took that medicine" According to her cherry, it was wonders of wonders. I immediately changed my lyrics on the price tag. It's worth it" Then I sat wondering if she was one of those people that joined different buses to market their wares while the doing the selling teams were in another. Many ways of making money these days, many ways of killing birds with a stone, and many ways of penetrating the market. Hard to tell who is who these days Cherry.

My suspicion of the lady and her true intentions and identity increased when at another bus drop, a lady with a bag entered and within ten minutes she entered, from little general prayers to stands afterward marketing the same traditional medicine the shouting lady was talking about. I took turns observing both to know if any sign would be exchanged. But nothing. Only the shouting lady indicated to her friend that it was the same medicine. People were buying, I bought two and went home to see if our lady folks had joined the 419, duping, fraudsters and extortionist groups by trick.

I did not even change my clothes before entering the kitchen to test what was lingering in my mind throughout the day. Once my warm waters were ready, I tore the sachet and put it inside and stirred as the lady directed, and pushed the thing down waiting for the reaction. Within minutes Cherry, it whacked me like Tyson used to do then. I believed and believed again. The shouting lady was right. I suspect it was what hit her was causing words to tumble from her mouth.

The next thing that came to my mind was your complaint to me about your internal system. Once you read this email Cherry dear, branch on your way home and take your Savior. That's what it is. Savior.

February 09, 2024 19:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Tommy Goround
20:42 Feb 10, 2024

Lady character came alive. Read this 1.5 times. It's not clear enough. You writing to "cherry?" (I need more coffee to be useful) I think what is happening is.... You have a very interesting sales lady on a bus. She sells traditional medicine. You get some of this medicine. There's part of the problem right there... Plot 1) why did you need this medicine in your life? 2) once you took the medicine how did your life change. It's not quite clear enough. 3) did you have to sacrifice anything when you took the medicine? Everything I see I...

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
19:24 Feb 11, 2024

Sure. Writing to Cherry informing her of traditional medicine being sold that cures internal heat. Cherry suffering from internal heat underrating the efficacy of the medicine in favor of Western tablets without result till I bought that from the lady on the bus.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:21 Feb 09, 2024

Interesting.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.