1 comment

LGBTQ+ Friendship Fiction

“Alright class, enjoy your beautiful day, definitely recommend leaving the house today!” My teacher said as he waved farewell to us online. 

I shut my computer and sighed looking out of my window, the bright sun scorching my eyes as I stupidly looked directly into it.

My phone buzzed with two messages, and I know for a fact who it is because instead of the words “Hey, wanna hang today?” being in one complete text they decide to send “Hey!” “Wanna hang today?” I suppose one just isn’t enough. 

“Hey Lily, sure we can hang can you just drop me off at the library first so I can return this book I got a while ago. It’s almost overdue.”

“Oh totally don’t worry about it. It will be my top priority!” Now Lily was one of my best friends in the whole world, and I know her better than anyone. So I know for a fact that she most likely has 10 other “top priority” missions she needs to complete.

“Ok lmk when you’re here.”

“Will do!” 

Before Lily arrives I decide to make my bed and change out of my pajamas that I’ve been in for the past two days. I never really cared about my appearance too much so I slipped on a t-shirt that Lily got for me when I was sick and had to miss going to a concert with her, along with black Old Navy sweatpants. Old Navy is the only place that has pants that go all the way down to my ankles. Then I brush my teeth, comb my hair, and scroll through my phone a bit. After forty minutes Lily finally texts me.

“Hey! I’m pulling up rn.”

“Ok, I’ll be right out.” I text her then quickly grab my book while stuffing my phone and keys into my pockets. I scurry outside and hop in Lily’s front seat.

“Wassup Liam?”

“I should be asking you! It took you 40 minutes to get here and you live two blocks away.”

“I know, I know. It’s just I had to get a coffee but the place I usually go was closed, so I had to go to one way farther. Then, my mom told me I had to pick up my meds, which I still have to do, and I still need to return the clothes in my backseat-” I just had to cut her off

“Would you like some help? It seems like you’re really stressed, maybe we should pick up your meds first, ok?”

Lily took a deep breath “Yeah, you’re right.”

“First stop CVS!” I said encouragingly which made Lily laugh. We drove to the pharmacy down the street from me and went inside. We went towards the back of the store and talked with the pharmacist.

“Hi, I’m here to pick up a prescription.” 

“Name?” The woman behind the counter asked.

“Lily Evans.”

“Ok Lily give me one moment while I grab that for you.” The lady said walking away to get the medicine 

“I made a list,” I said to Lily

“What?”

“I made a list to help you stay on track for today, and hey you’re already halfway through the first one!”

“What’s two?” She asked.

“Buy a gift for Mika,” I said. Then Lily’s eyes went wide.

“Shit, I totally forgot. Her birthdays in just three days!” Mika is Lily’s girlfriend. Mika is so kind and surprisingly organized to be dating Lily, but they have a perfect balance of chaos and order so it works.

“It’s ok, that’s why I’m here making sure everything you’ve been procrastinating on gets finished,” I said calmly hoping it would help Lily’s nerves

“Thank god, what would I do without you. Usually, Mika keeps me organized but ya know, I can’t ask her to help me get her a gift.”

“Of course!”

“Lily, your prescription.” The lady said returning to the counter.

“Thank you so much!” After that exchange, we went to the car.

“Alright, number one is done!” I said looking at the list and crossing off the first mission.

Lily’s to-do list

  1. Get Lily’s meds
  2. Get Mika a birthday gift 
  3. Return clothes in the backseat
  4. Return Library book

“Only three more to go,” Lily said unenthusiastically 

“Alright! That's the spirit! Now, where are we going to shop for the birthday girl?”

“I actually wanted to go to two places.”

“Oh ok, that’s fine too. Where to?”

  “Hot Topic and Barnes and Noble.”

“Alright, solid picks lilers,” I said calling her by her, much hated, childhood nickname.

“Ugh ok.” She said as we started making our way to the mall.

When we arrived we went straight to the Hot Topic to not get off track. This was difficult because we had tons of memories going to store after store in middle school while simultaneously ignoring everything and everyone else. Nonetheless, we successfully made it to Hot Topic without going into any other store.

“Do you know what we are getting or not?” I asked, hoping she did because it was 6:00 and my book is officially overdue at 8:00.

“Please Liam.” She said in a sassy tone. She then walked to the jewelry, picked up 3 items, paid for them, and walked out with me following close behind.

“Wow,” I said in the parking lot of the mall, “I have never seen you stay in a store for such a short amount of time,” I said, flabbergasted by her speed in shopping.

“Oh.” She paused “That’s to make up for how much time I’m gonna waste in Barnes and Noble.” She laughed while my face deflated. Damn it.

“Wait but Lily, the list,” I said pointing to our list with now two things crossed off

“Don’t worry Liam. We have all the time in the world.”

“No, we don’t!” I yelled “I asked you hours ago to pick me up and take me to the library to return my book. You said it would be your “top priority” but instead you came 40 minutes after to get coffee and then drag me around to help complete tasks all day!” I instantly regretted saying anything when I saw the hurt in her eyes. 

“Where did this come from Liam?” She asked simply.

“I-I don’t know I’m sorry I just got stressed by the times, and my book is due at 8:00, plus you still have to return the clothes, and they're just isn’t enough time-” Lily stopped me

“Hey, breathe. You’re ok.” Lily said patiently. I took a long deep breath. “Now here’s the plan: it's 6:20 right now. So what we are going to do is drop me off at Barnes and Noble right now. Then, you can take the car to the library, return your book, pick me, and then drop off the clothes at Kohls. How does that sound?” 

“It sounds like a plan,” I said and Lily grew a big smile as she started the car. 

“Barnes and Noble, here we come!” Lily yelled while turning up the volume on her car radio.

We pulled up to Barnes and Noble. Lily and I got out, gave quick hugs and I got in the driver's seat. I went as fast as I could towards the library, which was only like 10 minutes away plus no traffic so I got there with no problem. 

When I arrived I dropped the book in the return bin then went to the car and crossed off number 4 before driving back to Barnes and Noble feeling much less stressed. I connected my phone to the car and blasted “Dance Baby” by Boy Pablo and let the lyrics drive me to Barnes and Noble.

I quickly returned to Barnes and Noble and I didn’t see Lily so I went inside to check where she was. 

I looked through sections I thought she might be in like Young Adult, Mystery, and even Manga. I couldn’t find her and I started to panic. I continued frantically looking around for Lily, it doesn’t help that she is short so it made this whole situation ten times more difficult. As I was searching for my tiny friend I looked at the check-out where she stood. I let out a long sigh of relief as I walked over to her 

“Thank you so much!” She said to the cashier and then quickly turned to me “Liam, what the hell was that?” She asked

“Oh god, you saw that” I questioned my face going red.

“Yes!” She said bursting out in laughter. Which made me smile a bit myself.

“Ok ok wanna head out of here and deal with clothes?”

“Oh Liam, I thought you’d never ask!” she said grabbing my arm and dragging me out of the store. 

Once we were outside I guided Lily to the car and got in the passenger side. Lily drove us to the Kohls where she needed to drop the clothes. 

“You coming with?” She asked.

“I’ve made it this far, can’t quit now,” I said hopping out of the car. 

We hurried inside and had a smooth transaction with the employee. It really wasn’t that many clothes, but it wouldn’t be Lily if every task wasn’t extremely exaggerated. Lily and I walked into the parking lot and she had the giddiest smile covering her face. 

“Thank you for today. It was really helpful to have you by my side, you have no idea.” Lily thanked me

“Of course, I can’t wait to see Mika’s face when she sees all the stuff you got her!”

“I hope she likes it all, I’m kinda nervous.”

“She’ll love it, Lily,” I said reassuring her. “And hey, look at the list,” I said pulling it out of my pocket crossing off number 3.

Lily’s to-do list

  1. Get Lily’s meds
  2. Get Mika a birthday gift 
  3. Return clothes in the backseat
  4. Return Library book

“It’s Complete.”

April 24, 2021 02:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wilani Abner
04:24 May 04, 2021

This book was excellent. I loved the dynamic of the pair doing things and having to make a list to stay on track. The characters really compliment each other. I love the fact that there was a tiny argument in the middle. It gave a more realistic feel to the book. How this is truly what happens in real friendship. They make up and continue on their journey. Totally a relatable story for teens to read and be really interested in their journey.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.