2 comments

Romance Happy

I slowly descended the flight of stairs. It was a little past 6pm as I came in from work, much early today to not miss our day. I wanted a surprise for her. Earlier today, the morning conversation with her, had taken an unexpected turn into an argument just before we were running late for work. 

And then, neither of us brought it up during the day, except for the normal formalities of a bill payment and a couple of groceries, she called me for. 

She was not home yet. She was supposed to be later than 7, so I had enough time. I had called her office buddy to ensure her whereabouts and forced her to keep her much longer. 

About the conversation, I was really lost for words, as I thought we cloth agreed. Well, the salary we earned could not suffice everything in the world although we managed it for the best. The monthly housing loan took up a good lot well for another two years and my mother’s recent hospital bill had been paid, so that is why, our trip to Singapore the following month was cancelled. Well, it was actually postponed. She had learnt it that morning from the e-mail that popped up from our agent.

But, she was arrogant, 

“I have been working and doing the chores  everyday and I deserve a good holiday. And you just take it away from me every time we plan it. It’s been many years that we had some decent tripping! Maybe you just don’t love me anymore! Well, look at the Perera couple, their Instagram is full of photos tripping around the country and the world. He keeps her happy! What use comes from telling you? ”

I knew it all. Well, she deserved it. But given the circumstances, I was speechless. I looked at her as word sprang from her mouth. 

“But you know well, we have to postpo...!”

“Yes! yes! you always have a reason for everything, when I ask for something. Do you even remember when today is? I don’t think so. You just have work and that’s all!” I was cut short from reasoning as she blurted out again.

I thought better not to provoke her, as she tied up my lunch on my favorites linen serviette. I smirked a smile. 

“Take this” she thrust it in my hand and turned back, as I picked the bag and the car keys. 

She turned on her heel again, fixing my tie. I grabbed her in a hug and kissed her on the forehead, as she sprung back in the tiny angry resent. 

We talked very little during our drive. She worked at an Engineering Firm as a Design Engineer. And she was indeed packed full with all her duties. As I dropped her half and hour later, she called up a couple of home related detail. Not a word about what she had said earlier. Maybe she didn’t like it all. 

“Bye honey. Be safe” I said and she was gone as I said ‘I love you” that I drove away late, reminding myself of the plan for the rest of the day. 

I was all alone in the house. I walked down into the living room and switched on the player on our favorite playlist. 

Then I walked over to my newest arena-the kitchen.

I had brought in red wine, her favorite again. And so washed out two wine glasses in advance and went on to set the table. 

I turned on the tablet to the recipe I had saved. 

Everything was ready and now it was my time to get started. I peeled the onion and garlic and set aside chopped. The curry leaves and coriander all right. The chicken thighs were defrosted and I forked at it to create slits. 

I kept a saucepan of water to boil, adding in salt and a little oil. As it started boiling, I put in the pasta. 

Another separate pan and I lit the cooker.  I added in a little oil and let it heat up. And then added in the garlic and curry leaves and the chopped onion.

The oil started sizzling and the air filled instantly with the scented tempering, when the main door opened. She was back.

I didn’t know it was past 7.

I could see her stop suddenly and walk slowly down the corridor into the living room and into my arena. 

She looked at the dining table laid down and up at me looking stand-still at her.

“Awwww darling. What are you really up to? You came in early”, she called softly. I could see her tired in her eyes. 

“Hey babes, why don’t you just go up and get freshened up, and I just take care of all this. You look so tired today". I said as I hugged her.

She smiled. I felt my heart flutter. 

“Okay. It’s been a fully-packed day. Wrong designs, unpaid customers and angry workers all full on my list. And by the way, you better check on the garlic soon, I have the feeling it’s starting to burn  baby”

She was back now. For a moment I was lost in her. And then, I panicked for the garlic. I switched off the cooker. 

She walked away slowly. Down the corridor and up the stairs. 

I made up the seasoning rub with the tempered mixture, paprika, salt and pepper and mixed up the chicken in the pan.

I switched the oven on, and waited a good ten minutes for the chicken to be seasoned. I couldn't wait for it to sit, as the recipe had originally suggested.

Meanwhile, I strained off the pasta and then went on to place the chicken tray in the oven. 

I let the cheese to stand, as I needed to wait for her, to serve a warm meal. So I started the little salad I was planning. 

Tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber slowly peeled in the best possible way and I declared the dish complete and laid it on the table. 

I rechecked on the ‘watalappan’ I had purchased from her favorite dessert store in the fridge. 

I waited for the oven to make the ding and slowly used my oven mitten hands to take it out. It smelled nice, well I hoped it was as I wished it was going to be. 

I checked the clock and heard the bedroom door open in the distance. She was coming down. Slowly as I heated the milk and little flour and added in cream cheese. I added a little flavoring, salt and pepper, an egg and button mushrooms, which she loved. 

So I relit the stove and got into mixing the pasta and the cheese. And there it was ready- the cheesy egg pasta looking just like hers. 

She walked in as I just switched the stove off.  She reached for me and kissed me slowly. 

She went back to the living room and sat down, listening to the soothing tune of 'Sway' on the player.

I laid all the dishes in a quick few minutes and “Give me minute” I said as I hurried off to freshen up and was back in a glimpse.  

I kissed her on her cheek and took her by her hand. We twirled a little to the tune and made our way to the dining room.

“So what’s the chef up-to today? And why if I may ask?” She hinted in a glance with that favorite smile. 

I made way for her to sit and unscrewed the wine. 

As I poured her glass, “You really think I will forget our anniversary, that easy…not at all… because it’s the day I found my life again”

She smiled and touched my hand. 

We locked eyes in our infinity as she started again, “I’m sorry for what happened this morning. It was really wrong of me. I was just…I was…I really have something to tell you. And yes I panicked with all the postponing” 

“Hey hey, I know you deserve everything okay. It was my bad for making a sudden decision based on just the difficulty and not telling you either. It wasn’t right and that’s why I had it readjusted. So yeah baby we are going next month! “

I could see her beaming. My favorite.

“Wow, but are you really sure. I regret even asking you hard” 

“Yes of course I am” 

I sipped on the wine.  

Then, “I have to tell you something darling”

“Go on. You’ve not touched your glass” and I pushed it closer to her. 

“There was something sudden that really just confused me this morning. And that is why the email I saw just got ahead of me okay…” She took my hand in hers and that was the moment my heart skipped a beat. 

“Baby, you are going to be father” 

I was speechless. The moment had come. 

The moment we had been awaiting. This was indeed the biggest surprise in my life. 

“We are” 

I just couldn’t help the tears coming down. 

I jumped forward and hugged her slowly. 

“We are going to be parents”

“Yes”

We had the best few moments processing this together-A new turn in the lifetime ahead. 

Finally we sat down to eat. I took away her  glass of wine and drank it randomly. 

She laughed heartily, “So caring huh!” ... “Okay the let’s check what master chef has ready for us” 

She looked at her dish and picked at the button mushroom on top “Yes! my favorites” She exclaimed. "Thank you so much, sweetheart. Happy Anniversary!"  

We ate as we spoke. And she loved it. 

We ate the watalappan. “You have all my favorites for one night. Nice try gentleman!” She teased as we made our way to the living room.

We slow danced our way with 'Perfect' by Ed Sheeran,

“I love you babe!” 

“I love you more My Favorite!”

“Well just so you know, the chicken could have used a little  more salt” she said as I poked her for her cooking expertise. 

And we both laughed the night away. 

July 02, 2021 16:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jon R. Miller
09:53 Jul 08, 2021

A lovely portrayal of such a wonderful couple. The description of the cooking also made me hungry. I looked up watalappan on google. It looks delicious! :>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Sinclair
19:44 Jul 07, 2021

This was adorable omw

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.