Contest #40 winner 🏆

63 comments

General

They fall in love in the slow way of people who are unconcerned with bodies. Some weekends they go away together and stay in hotels, they travel on buses through mountain passes, one of them watching the world through the window and listening to music, the other asleep on her shoulder. At some of the hotels, they share a bed, and at others, they don’t, it makes no difference to them. They choose different restaurants every night, because despite their constant companionship they live by the mantra of variety being the most important aspect of any journey. It is a soft kind of love, like a warm bath. It makes few demands on either of them, they fall into each other in a way that makes it seem like it is something they were both waiting for. It isn’t sexual, but it is still consuming, still everything to both of them. The younger girl seemingly has no sexuality, has no such needs, and the older girl sometimes sleeps with others, but rarely more than once, and as far as she is able to she keeps it to herself and out of their apartment.  

 

Nothing has ever been as easy as being together is. Even when they disagree, they never fight. At the core, it is hard to say if they share interests or not, they are so compatible that they finish each other’s sentences. There is no one else who could ever replace the other, and they both know this, but they are also aware of the fact that they live in stasis, that something at some point will need to change, that they can’t go on like this forever. 

 

Within two weeks of their first meeting, they are spending every day together. None of them have ever been able to do this before with anyone else, not even the eldest, even though she used to live with a man, and knows how to negotiate space. They never seem to grow tired of each other. I wish I could want her differently, she writes in a small notebook by her iron-framed bed, filled with recorded dreams. She doesn’t, though, and so she keeps making poor decisions, keeps sleeping with men she doesn’t really want, men who are unavailable for anything more than sex, because she has a lover already, doesn’t need another. 

 

Her mother worries, because she is turning older, slowly, but not that slowly, and soon, her mother hopes, she needs children, or a husband, or some tangible evidence of her existence. There is nothing to say to this, so instead, she calls her mother as seldom as she can get away with, and plans for a life with the other girl. We should get a house on a rooftop, the younger girl, whose name is Mai, says. Yes, nods the other girl, Clara, and they make up the details of this house for weeks. Mai wants to learn how to play the violin, and Clara wants a garden where she can grow vegetables. They live downtown, in a city so gray and polluted that they had previously resigned such dreams to a distant future. Now they plan for it, making it up as they go along. We could get hammocks, one of them says, and the other writes it down. And a little round table, she adds, and chairs. And then we would never have to leave. This is written down as well.

 

Often, when they go out with other people, Mai will be silent and leave Clara to do all the talking. Mai is more social than Clara is, so she imagines that maybe the younger girl is creating a space for her, leaving her room to talk, and no one has ever done this for her before. When they return to their apartment, Mai will talk about their night, and the people they have spent it with, and she will have observed many things that Clara has not, which never ceases to amaze her. I don’t trust him, Mai will say of the nice American boy who takes them out for lunch, and it will be almost a month before she is proven right, but in the end, she is almost always right, about these things. They don’t like us, she tells Clara about the Italian girls in her class, and at first, Clara thinks she is being paranoid, but later this turns out to be true as well, and she never mistrusts her again, after that. Sometimes she tries to temper her, because being so sensitive to others has left Mai a little broken, a little too guarded. She had still trusted Clara within a day, though it had taken Clara longer to return the feeling. How did you know, she will ask her, and Mai will shake her head. I didn’t know, it was just a feeling. Like everything would be ok. This is true for a while. 

 

Time passes quickly, they live together for a month, and soon it has been three months, six, and then a year. Mai is offered a place at a university, and Clara supports her going, but is done with those things, and will not follow her there. They live in North Africa now, and it is warm and sunny and exhausting, everything Clara has ever wanted, apart from the other woman, because Mai is nothing like Africa, and still as important to her as air or water. 

 

For a while, they don’t talk about it. Ignoring it is surprisingly easy, and they take to it with great conviction. Weeks go by, and the date of departure looms large, but in their apartment, no one thinks of packing, and dishes are still left in the sink, and everything is left to be as it has been for the last year, because to both of them the apartment feels like a shrine, and they are reluctant to change anything, lest it makes it all real. Suddenly though, the last week is there, and even though they don’t want to, they do the dishes and the laundry, and they fold their borrowed sheets and take out the trash.  

 

There is nothing to be done. Clara cries a little in her room, late at night when she can be sure that the other woman can’t hear. They had agreed long ago that crying was for other people. She doesn’t know what she will do when Mai leaves her. She has nothing to offer her in exchange for her staying. If they had met sooner, it would all have been easier, because then they could have gone to school together, but Clara is done, Clara is getting old, really, and Mai needs to think of herself, and not of their unit. 

 

You will come to China to see me, Mai says, and it isn’t a question, not really, but there is uncertainty there. Of course I will, she answers firmly, but knows that it probably isn’t true. An old friend writes her from Sweden and asks her to visit, and so she plans for this instead. It feels like cheating, and in a way, maybe it is, but she needs something with which to stem the tide of sorrow she can feel welling up in her chest. They go out for dinner, and they are scared of the change about to happen, but there is little need to talk.

 

Everything will be colder when she comes back there after the summer, and she will feel Mai in the corners of every building and on every street. They will never live together on the roof, instead, she will get a room in a flatshare where she will make transitory friends who will cover her basic need for companionship but nothing more. In five years she will become pregnant with a man she likes well enough, and she will keep the baby and stay with him. It will be something that is perfectly all right. Mai will never learn how to play the violin, but she will learn Korean, and she will do very well for herself in a major telecom company. Clara will never go to China. After a few emails that will leave them both tired and heartsore, they will stop talking. There is nothing to be done. Theirs was an affair, really, and should have been treated as such. Instead, they fell in love, and there isn’t really that much more to be said about it.

May 01, 2020 14:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

63 comments

A. Y. R
13:50 May 15, 2020

The monotonous style of writing made the story so ominous- it had me so hooked! I can see how you won, the writing is pure genius! Congrats on your win!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gwen Anderson
13:42 May 14, 2020

Hi! I got an email about a critique circle, so here's some feedback! I absolutely love this short story (I literally got chill at the end, which almost never happens). I really liked the way you told this story; usually short stories like this set up a single scene, typically the one that happens right before they go their separate ways. Your style made this especially enjoyable, like the way you used an omniscient narrator that was half formal and half informal. As for feedback (I have very little), but maybe mention their names in a less...

Reply

Fredrikke Barth
22:39 May 14, 2020

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
04:52 Aug 14, 2020

I'm glad I got the chance to read this! Happy writing I really enjoyed it

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
05:01 Aug 06, 2020

Wow! Just wow!

Reply

Show 0 replies
ADHI DAS
20:23 Jul 22, 2020

Beautifully written👍👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zahra Aljabry
06:36 Jun 09, 2020

your story is simply breathtaking I really like the way how you expressed all the raw emotion congrats on the win you deserved it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Agnes Ajadi
18:44 Jun 02, 2020

So plain and touching. Congrats on your win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helēna Berga
05:26 Jun 02, 2020

This is absolutely lovely!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Frank Alford
02:55 May 30, 2020

Congratulations on the win Fredrikke! It is well deserved. I love the story, I could feel the closeness and the distance, the love yet uncertainty.

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:10 May 21, 2020

The repetition of "There is nothing to be done." is really what sells this piece for me. Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shannon Hays
00:33 May 21, 2020

That was very good! I am very inspired by your writing. I love the way you told the story, it felt very emotional and came from the heart. I think you deserve the win and i really want to see what else you wrote. By the way, i enjoy writing too and my friend and i are planning on writing a book together and hopefully living together in the future, and i just wanted to say that you really inspired me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen Molly
04:05 May 19, 2020

This was so sweet, yet bittersweet.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Fuzaila Khan
10:31 May 18, 2020

Hey Fredrikke, congratulations on your win <3. I really loved your writing style and learned a lot from it. The story was plain yet intriguing. Loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yves. ♙
05:21 May 18, 2020

So unique and genuinely pretty. Delicate and strong at the same time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sheemah Khan
19:15 May 17, 2020

I nearly blubbed. Really looking forward to reading more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Faith Chrayon
14:40 May 17, 2020

Wow, my heart broke reading this. Congratulations on the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maria Emma
13:03 May 17, 2020

Very emotional,but simplistic(in a good way) story!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Celeste Kuun
20:06 May 16, 2020

Wow, truly a worthy winner. What an excellent story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
K J
13:09 May 16, 2020

Ooft - I was not prepared for those feelings. Congrats on a well deserved win!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gaine Bronach
09:36 May 16, 2020

Congrats on winning! An amazing way to tell the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.