0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

If I tell you this story is set in Zygos you might refer an atlas or ask google. None of them can tell the exact location of the unmapped territory which is a kingdom on planet tellus – earth’s twin 800 years behind, evolving. Zygos was prosperous mostly due to extensive plantations of cotton. One of the wealthy citizens who owned cotton acreage and dealt in cotton was Fez – a short and paunchy man with a thick moustache. He would be busily moving between various places promoting his business. He owned a large house and had a horse drawn cart to travel in. He had been married early but had lost his wife who had been struck by a bolt of lightning. Fez had no issues and he lived single. He was approaching 40 which was considered old age in the region. Recently his eye fell on Chili who was a lovely girl only 16 working on a banana plantation not far away. He felt the age difference would be bridged by his wealth but Chili’s parents had objections. Fez used witch Wizma – a middle aged woman- to negotiate.

Wizma came back and said “Master, I spoke to Chili and have her concurrence to wed you.”

Fez  was very happy and gave Wizma money for her service. She counted the money and said to herself silently “The man is wealthy but is a miser. Look at the trivial amount he gives me! I hope Chili will reform him.”

Fez took Chili as his bride and she came to live with him. Shortly afterwards Chili took ill. The witch’s medicine didn’t cure her and so Fez got Vaid – a reputed medical practitioner of the place to attend on her. Vaid advised that the treatment would take weeks and she would have to visit him for it. This was agreed to and slowly she was well again. However he was extremely jealous and felt he had to safeguard her. He thought up a method. He pondered about how to realise his concept. Wud came to mind. Wud, a man past middle age, was known to be a technical wizard who had made machines for the cotton industry. Fez went to Wud and told him his need for a belt to be fabricated. He gave details: It would consist of a waistband to which are attached front and back straps that go between the legs and hold plates that cover the genitals and anus. The plates are pierced to allow for the passage of body wastes and natural secretions. A padlock secures the belt so that the woman will be unable to take lovers. Wud said “Master I understand your requirement but it will cost money.”

Fez bargained and made Wud accept what was offered. Fez said “I’ve to go on tour often. When will it be ready?”

“I’ll try to deliver it in three weeks. I must have the lock.”

“I have it and will give it to you.”

 “I need to take dimensions.”

“Measure my wife Chili with your measuring cords.”

When Wud approached to measure her, Chili protested saying the belt would be inconvenient. Fez said “You’ll get used to it. It will be fixed only for the period when I’m on business trips.”

She said “That means you don’t trust me.”

Fez said “All round safety is needed since you’re beautiful and temptations are many.”

Wud took the measurements. When he was about to leave Fez said “Wud, here is the lock. It has two keys. I’ll keep one. Use the other one and keep it safely with you.”

Chili was very unhappy at the invasion of her privacy but she had no choice but to consent. The belt was ready as promised. Fez fixed it on and was satisfied. He got her to use it.

In a few days Fez had to go on a sea voyage and he knew he would be away for 4 weeks. He said “Chili, you’ll be lonely when I’m gone. I can arrange for a woman to keep you company. Of course that would mean extra expenditure.”

“Quite right. I don’t need anyone extra for service except those we have.”

Fez was happy and said “Good decision. You’re wise.”

Before leaving Fez fixed the belt and locked it in position.

After he had left, Chili summoned Wizma and showed her the contrivance which had been fixed.

Wizma laughed and said “He is jealous and is surely unsure of himself in bed.”

Chili said  “You’re right on both counts. I thought deeply about my predicament.” She paused. thought a little and said “I’m sure you know Wud.”

“Very well.”

“May be he can undo the belt which is uncomfortable. Not for any mischief.”

“I’ll ask him.”

“I’ll pay you well for your help.”

A day later Wizma came to Chili and said “Wud hates that miser who is your husband. He had the duplicate key to the Fez belt. Here it is.”

“Thank you very much. You remove the belt yourself.”

That done, Chili gave the money to her. Wizma was very happy with the sum.

Chili said “I’m now comfortable. I’ve to go to Vaid tomorrow to continue treatment. I’ll be at ease. Keep the key. I’ll get you to refix the belt at the appropriate time.”

A word about medico Vaid. He was handsome and young and was a bachelor. He was reputed to be honest and adherent to the oath he had taken before starting to practice. But he had his eye on Chili. When she again came for ‘continuing treatment’ saying her husband was absent he got the message. It was easy as Chili was most cooperative! Vaid’s clinic was also his home and he had the necessary privacy. What happened can be imagined. He advised more frequent visits to which she was agreeable and went to him as a ‘suffering’ patient.

When the time came for Fez’s return she informed Wizma who refixed the belt. Fez was content to undo the lock to again reach for the sojourn of pleasures.

In due course Chili announced she was in the family way and Fez was extremely delighted. But he was shocked when she said “The child isn’t yours.”

He said “How can that be? Impossible! I had locked you up safely whenever I was away. I don’t believe you.”

She said “Stronger hands have had access. You’ll see in due course.”

After the baby was born Chili said to Fez “My son doesn’t resemble you. See his nose? Yours is blunt. Vaid has a strong long nose. The child is Vaid’s. I’m leaving you for him.”

Fez didn’t doubt Wud and said “Vaid should be a locksmith as well as a medico. I’ll find myself a faithful wife.”

Fez went at once to Wud and giving facts said “You’ve cheated me.”

“A locksmith must’ve done it. Not me.”

 “Alright. I have designed one more belt. It allows access but will lop off whatever enters.”

“It will cost much more and three fourths of the cost must be paid in advance.”

“I don’t agree. I’m going to market it and there will be a big revenge market. So I’ll only pay half the cost in advance.”

The conditions were met and Wud set to work enthusiastically!

Meanwhile news of the Fez belt had received publicity. But the fact that the belt would be inconvenient and could also be picked became public and Wud was disappointed as he had hoped for further orders.

One more thing: About the challenge of Fez to Chili that he would find a faithful spouse. Fez made his desire public and guess what he found!: The ugliest women agreeing to become his wife!

END

July 11, 2022 07:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.