0 comments

Drama Fiction Western

Maria, Maria, why, now is not the time, to get cold fingers. Tugging at your heart strings to stay away, so easy to pull up those bed covers up. To miss your audition with Miss Duponte. Imagine the apploud in the auditoriums around the world.

"My dear this is your opportunty to shine. It may not come again. You have poise stamina and inner strength.

You have told yourself this for eighteen lean years. When your mother took in extra sewing, being a single parent. To pay for those dance lessons and special leather ballet pumps. It never came cheap for her. Your coustums whether Hansell and Gretal or Cindrella so that you could dance your steps. She never complained my dear Jenna."

Think big Swan Lake. Your friends grew too tall or withered by the wayside. You are not like them? A different personia. "Out of bed, thats my girl, I may not be there to assist you. It does not stop me being a dad. You do not see me , you still can hear my inner thoughts. As the bells in heaven ring I am so proud of you. We were to marry your mother and I. A skid on a greasy road put a stop to that."

Tutu ready coat on. Minium make up. Pumps in the bag off you go. Forget about the crowed tube. You must be at Hammersmith for 8am.

Hold your head up high its 6am. Be proud move, Do not tell me your feet are stuck to the platform like glue. Move before I push you on that train. Impetous like me? This is not time for a change. Or ringing in sick. An hours journey take heed. Your offered his seat take it, go on my dear. Oh, no your eyes are closing missed stop. Back again. Stay alert still time to spare."

Leaving the tube you look up at the vast grey building. Opening the door you enter. There is assistance with changing. You glance at the clock. Like a small vunerable rabbit caught in the headlights.

Madam smiles glancing at her wrist watch surely she wil allow time for nervous. Whats a few minutes late in an whole life time.

" You piroquite on your graceful dainty feet. She is noticing and making notes. Try not look just hold your head high like you were taught. Let her see your graceful neck long and fine, like your perfect bone structure you never got from me? Oh, I am so proud of you if angels could cry I would. "

She is beckoning its been nearly an hours dance routine. After you feel tired limp like a flower resting before sunlight. Well, will she or maybe not? Waiting as the clock ticks. Now changed into black trews and a sweater your alert to every sound. Its the waiting that does it. How does one face rejection this is it? You are called back into the room. Madam is giving nothing away in her stare. She has been here so many times. To make or break someones hopes and dreams. Shaking her small hand, you feel elated. "Congratulations".

You have made it as a ballerina, training starts soon. She is tuting no late nights , early starts, allow yourself more time to travel. She is saying, with cat like green eyes, and small pointed proturding chin. Was this woman ever attractive I am thinking. She never saw your nerves, before the journey your determination has paid off.

I am finished here, my wish has been granted to help you. If the wind blows or paper moves on the platform it will be me? Telling yo to be on time for the Great Madam. Your mother is awaiting your phone call. I must not intrude no more although there is plenty I could say and do. Good luck kiddo, think straight and postive.

In time you may forget our time together as other thoughts and aspirations take over your mind and life. I will always watch over you. The great premadonna so looking foward tobyour progress. Knowing that you eill not let us down your mother and I. You will not? With black bird eyes and keen listening skills, you will charm and take the art of ballet by storm. You may even perform for royalty. Gee, so proud am I to follow your every progress.

Jenna felt strange, she had to sit down for that extra cup of tea. That phone call from Maria. All that worry gone. Shorter hours at the factory. Her Maria a ballerina worth the extra push to get her up mornings.

Even if your child left home you still worried over them. Phoned to meet up. Not the best for getting up mornings Maria. She had done it? Got into a routine of getting up earlier. Like with her ballet all those competitions and rossetes from three years upwards. Jeff would have been so proud.

Why, oh why, was Jenna thinking of Jeff now. A tear came to her eye. Silly after all those years apart. Jenna had told him not to take the Motor bike out. An oil spill on the greasy road too late. Then finding the engagement ring in his leather jacket pocket. The hospital had given it to her. She and Maria thought about Jeff alot. He would never be forgotten. Sometimes Jenna was sure she felt his arm on her shoulder, like the time she was pregnant with Maria. Now that had come as a shock after Jeffs unexpected death, finding out she was prenant.

Maria and her joy of dance and Jeff where ever he maybe, had kept her going over the years. To became the proud parent she had become. Parent seemed old quite often she and Maria could be mistaken for sisters. Life had an unexpected way of paying you back. Oh, she must not think like that, just be glad of Maria's success as a ballerina. The many visits there would be to Covent garden to see her daughters greatness at work.

May 03, 2024 21:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.