16 comments

Fiction Horror Suspense

1: The Announcement

The loudspeakers crackled to life, sending a sharp hiss of static through the cavernous, dimly lit terminal. The noise was jarring, a sudden intrusion in the uneasy silence that had settled over the travelers, who were slumped in their seats, fatigue etched deeply into their faces. The endless delays had worn them down, and now they were too exhausted to glance up. The air was thick with the stale scent of burnt coffee and damp, worn-out carpets, a suffocating blend that only added to the growing sense of unease.

Then, the announcement came, each word clear yet eerily mechanical, carrying a disquieting undertone. "Attention all passengers. Due to unforeseen circumstances, all flights are canceled indefinitely. Please remain in the terminal. Do not leave the airport. We apologize for the inconvenience." The voice was devoid of emotion, a cold, detached command that sent a ripple of unease through the crowd.

Murmurs of frustration, tinged with fear, spread among the passengers, their voices rising and falling like the tide. Overhead, the departure boards flickered, the once orderly rows of destinations and times now spiraling into chaos as every flight switched from "Delayed" to "Canceled." The fluorescent lights above seemed to dim in unison, their sporadic flickering casting long, jittery shadows across the floor. The terminal, once bustling with the energy of travel, now felt vast, cold, and hollow—a tomb of missed connections and lost hope.

2: The Unseen

Hours dragged on, though no one could tell whether it was hours or mere minutes. Time had lost its grip, slipping through the cracks like the insidious cold that seeped into the bones of those huddled in the terminal. People tried to make themselves comfortable, reclining awkwardly on the hard, unyielding plastic chairs, some curling up on the cold, unforgiving floor. Others wandered aimlessly, their eyes hollow, faces pale under the flickering lights.

The airport staff, usually a constant presence, had vanished without a trace. The food courts stood empty, their colorful signs now dark, and the enticing smells of food had long faded. Even the ever-vigilant security personnel were nowhere to be found.

The only sound was the low, relentless hum of the air conditioning. This dull drone draped the terminal in a blanket of oppressive silence. Occasionally, the rustle of a traveler shifting uncomfortably or the faint tap of rain against the massive windows broke the quiet. Still, these sounds only served to amplify the growing sense of isolation. The terminal's once familiar noises had transformed into something alien and unsettling.

A young woman, clutching a frayed boarding pass like a lifeline, approached the information desk, her footsteps echoing eerily in the empty space. "Excuse me," she called out, her voice trembling as it reverberated off the walls, swallowed by the emptiness surrounding her. "Is anyone here? What's going on?" Her voice lingered in the air, unanswered, before fading into the void.

She turned back towards the scattered passengers, her heart pounding. Then, something caught her eye—a fleeting movement in the glass's reflection —a quick and fluid shadow slipping away into the dim corridors leading to the gates. She spun around, eyes wide, but saw nothing—the same lifeless scene. Yet, something had changed. The air felt thicker, heavier, charged with an unseen menace. It was as if the terminal itself was watching, waiting.

Others began to sense it, too. Paranoia spread like a contagion, infecting one passenger after another. Whispers grew in intensity as people shared their sightings—dark shapes glimpsed from the corner of their eyes, only to vanish when looked at directly. A man, pale skin glistening with sweat, swore he saw a figure—no, something—standing in the shadows near the baggage claim, its eyes gleaming with a cold, malevolent light. His voice cracked as he recounted the encounter, his gaze darting nervously around the terminal as if expecting the shadow to return.

3: The Departure

The terminal descended into a deeper, more oppressive gloom as night fell. The few remaining lights flickered and buzzed, casting long, wavering shadows that seemed to stretch and twist in unnatural ways, their edges fraying as if they could reach out and ensnare the unwary. The temperature dropped, a biting chill creeping into the air, chilling the travelers. It was a cold that wasn't just physical—it carried the weight of something ancient and malevolent, something that didn't belong in the world of the living.

A family huddled together near a gate, the mother clutching her children tightly, her eyes wide and wild as they darted around the room, watching the shadows with growing terror. A businessman, his suit now wrinkled and his tie askew, paced frantically near the exit doors, tugging at his tie as if it were strangling him. Others remained rooted to their seats, too afraid to move, their eyes heavy with exhaustion yet wide open with fear. Sleep was not an option; the darkness held many unknowns and unseen threats.

Then, a sound came from deep within the terminal—a low, rhythmic thudding, distant at first but growing steadily louder. It was the sound of heavy, deliberate footsteps echoing through the deserted halls. But these weren't the footsteps of a person. They were too slow, too heavy, and each step seemed to reverberate with a dull finality, like the tolling of a death knell.

Panic erupted. People screamed, bolting in all directions, their frantic movements chaotic and disoriented as they searched desperately for an escape. But the exits were sealed, the heavy glass doors locked tight, the windows impossibly thick, distorting the view outside into a surreal, shifting landscape that offered no hope of escape. The shadows were no longer content to linger at the edges—they moved with purpose now, fluid and sentient, slithering along the walls, creeping beneath doors, stretching across the floor like dark tendrils seeking out the terrified passengers.

One by one, the travelers were claimed. The shadows reached out, ensnaring them and pulling them into the darkness. Their screams echoed briefly, only to be abruptly cut off as the shadows engulfed them and dragged them into the abyss. Those who tried to hide found no sanctuary; the shadows seeped into every crack and crevice, relentless in their pursuit. The terminal became a hunting ground, the shadows of the predators and the passengers their prey.

4: The Truth

The terminal was silent once more, save for the occasional crackle of the intercom and the distant, echoing thuds that marked the end of yet another life. The air was thick with the lingering scent of fear and despair, a miasma that clung to the walls, the floor, and the air itself. Then, as if in response to the bloodshed, the final announcement came, its tone eerily calm, almost soothing. "This is a final boarding call for Flight 666. Passengers, please proceed to Gate D for immediate departure."

A small group remained, huddled together, their bodies trembling with exhaustion and terror. They stared at each other with hollow eyes, their faces pale as the full horror of their situation sank in. The gate mentioned in the announcement was at the far end of the terminal, a place none had dared approach. It had always been shrouded in mystery, blocked off by barriers that hinted at endless construction, yet no progress was ever seen. Now, the barriers were gone, revealing a long, dimly lit corridor that led to a single gate.

The gate loomed ominously at the end of the corridor, its door slightly ajar. A harsh, unnatural light spilled out from within, bathing the area in an eerie glow. The light was too bright, too white, too…wrong. It wasn't the light of salvation or escape—it was the light of something far more sinister, a beacon drawing passengers into the unknown.

Compelled by a force they couldn't resist, the survivors began to move toward the gate, their feet dragging as if weighed down by an invisible burden. The closer they got, the more they felt their very essence being pulled from them, their bodies dissolving into the shadows, their souls ripped from their forms, and dragged into the eternal void that awaited beyond the gate.

As the last of the passengers crossed the threshold, the terminal plunged into complete darkness, the oppressive silence broken only by the faint, lingering whispers of the lost. In the deserted control room, empty screens flickered with static, showing footage of an empty terminal, devoid of life, as if no one had ever been there. Now a silent, empty shell, the airport waited patiently for the next group of unsuspecting travelers, ready to ensnare them in its endless, inescapable darkness.

The intercom crackled one last time, then fell silent. Outside, the world continued, blissfully unaware of the horrors within the terminal. Inside, the shadows waited, patient and hungry, knowing that sooner or later, more victims would arrive, forever lost in the terminal's eternal night.

August 24, 2024 17:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Chris Sage
14:43 Sep 01, 2024

A real sense of nameless evil. I find that more frightening than lots of blood and gore.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
14:47 Sep 01, 2024

That was intended. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:55 Sep 01, 2024

This chilling piece writes like an eerie film. Great build up and excellent descriptions. The end of the world has come early for this group of people.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
08:02 Sep 01, 2024

Thank you, Helen.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
04:23 Sep 01, 2024

I'm a sci-fi fan. This is worth submitting to a magazine in this genre. My god, I was chilled with the intensity of the growing fear of the trapped. Absolutely brilliant. And I disagree with the idea of a single protagonist. The helplessness of the group is so powerful. Much like us on this planet facing wars and threats from weather and viruses and ...

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
06:24 Sep 01, 2024

I thought the same. The idea was to write about people on airport not just a single protagonist. Thank you for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
22:32 Aug 31, 2024

From the emotionless voice making the announcement to the last crackle before the silence, there was a darkness, an implied horror - Hitchcock-style. Though we're never told what is lurking in the shadow or why this group of people has been singled out, we know darn well that it is not good. And should we ever need to fly, we will pray for direct flights and fair weather. :-)

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
22:35 Aug 31, 2024

Thank you for very kind comment. That's a feul to my writing motor.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heidi Fedore
18:58 Aug 31, 2024

I agree with Luca that focusing on one character (while including the broader scene) would further draw in the reader. Your descriptions are vivid and visceral. Well done!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
19:15 Aug 31, 2024

I had one idea for the prompt and I wrote the story about it. I knew that along the way some stuff will appear to the readers ( like it is focusing on one character). I could make the story about one individual but that wasn't idea. I apriciate your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luca King Greek
22:03 Aug 27, 2024

I liked it a lot. Curious, though to understand the distinction between those abducted by shadows and those pulled into flight 666. I felt like that might be revealed in “The Truth” section. FWIW, I think the story can be enhanced if we see it through the eyes of a character so that the reader has more skin in the game. All that being said, it is a really good story, vivid, and scary. .

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
22:16 Aug 27, 2024

That idea would require more than 3 000 words (if we want keep the same tone), but it's not a bad idea. Thanks for comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:00 Aug 26, 2024

True to life 😜 in every airport.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
17:29 Aug 26, 2024

Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
18:53 Aug 24, 2024

Darvico, your vivid descriptions make this an absolutely horrible story-in the best way!! I could picture every gasp, every scream as if I watched it on TV. Wonderfully written!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
19:00 Aug 24, 2024

That was intended. I want it to be like watching a tv series. Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.