Birthday Party

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story that features zombies.... view prompt

0 comments

Thriller Mystery Science Fiction

The Sun just woke-up. Nature announced the arrival in its rhythm. Birds were busy chirping. The wind was blowing with utmost speed & it rattled the trees. All elements were cheering in their unique way to create a peaceful & calm environment. 

Amidst that peaceful atmosphere, there was a magnificent villa. The owner of that villa was a Tech-Company CEO. His name was Kevin. His name was associated with at least 72 patents that revolutionized the world and gave Humans another chance of survival. 

Kevin uplifted humanity with his mind, but his heart belonged to Miranda, his wife. They were married for 18 years and were living happily in their world. They didn't have children as they decided to dedicate their lives to the service of orphans around the world.  

Their NGO operated around 540 orphanages around the world. The couple would spare every first and last week of the month for these orphanages. Both of them had all that anyone can dream of but not all can survive the onslaught of time.

'Kevin, where are you? It is time for dinner. Let's eat,' said Miranda

'In a minute, honey,' shouted Kevin from his lab in their Villa.

Kevin saved and closed his work. He got up and arrived near the large window of his office. The breeze was still blowing to soothe out the environment. The Sun was about to set, and nature was busy lamenting the Sun's departure. 

'No, hon. Not this again. I am tired of eating this green pasture. If this is for dinner, then I better join the cows and graze with them.'

'Common, Kev. You know how much it is important to stay away from carbs and increase this type of food.'

Kevin picked up a piece of boiled broccoli and said,'You call this a food. Let me show you the real food.'

He opened the freezer compartment and took out the lasagne. He placed it in the oven for some time. 

'This is called real food,' said Kevin after placing that lasagne in front of Miranda.

'Go ahead. If you love your tongue more than your heart than savor it all. But remember the words of the doctor before making a decision. I won't be able to survive without you,' said Miranda.

'No, don't worry. Today my project is almost over. The demo is working well for us. You can create me and chat with me anytime you want. That 3D projection is almost ready.'

'No, way. You are saying that the demo worked properly. If this is true, then we can change the schooling system. Everyone in any remote area of the world can learn from the brightest of the mind. No need to worry about the lack of resources.'

'Yes, Honey. Your dream of educating everyone will be a reality.'

'Yes, that is great Kev. But first, put down that lasagne and eat this broccoli. The world needs you.'

'Okay, okay.'

Kevin started shoving broccoli in his mouth and gulped it down with a sip of water. He somehow finished those horrible green pasture and jumped on to his favorite lasagne. Before that spoon can reach his mouth, the lights went out. 

'Not again,' shouted Kevin.

The dinner plate fell from the other end of the table, and it broked into small pieces with a loud noise. Kevin could feel the presence of others in the room. Not visible with naked eyes, but his ears picked up the heavy breathing in the room.

'Hon, you there.' asked Kevin. 

'Miranda. What happened? Are you all right?' Kevin asked again.

No reply. Kevin was worried and ran to the other side of the table. The chair was empty, and his worry transferred into fear. He reached for his mobile and started the torchlight.

Broccoli was lying around with ceramic pieces and a silver spoon. As soon as he raised his phone and pointed at the door, he saw a sea of faces.

The phone fell from his hands. The fear caved in deep, and the gravity did his job. But Miranda caught him before he can touch the ground. 

"Miranda.'

'Happy Birthday, Kev,' as soon as Miranda completed that sentence, the lights came back. The sea of faces that were starring before now started singing Happy Birthday wishes. When Kevin's fear fade away, he was able to identify that sea of faces. Friends, family, and co-workers were amidst that sea singing with joy to wish him his birthday. 

'That was some surprise you arranged.'

'Kev, regular was getting boring. Thought to give you a memory of a lifetime.'

'You did well, then. I nearly fainted. Thank you for being there.'

'I will be beside you forever.'

Kevin and Miranda kissed and expressed their joy. The audience cheered for that moment of love. 

The baker placed a two-tier cake on the table. As soon as the baker turned to fetched the knife, his leg slammed into that table. The two-tier came crashing to the ground, and the audience cheered sarcastically. 

'Don't worry,' shouted Miranda at that top of her voice so that her sound can reach the ears of the worrying baker.

'Hon, let me order a new one,' said Kevin and ordered a cake from the nearby bakery.

All of them were sipping down the champagne to kill some time. All of them were waiting for the delivery guy to deliver the cake.

No one knew the scenario outside that birthday party. 

Before four hours, a virus escaped the biotech lab that was on the outskirts of the city. That ammunition company was developing that virus under the disguise of a vaccine. 

Due to the carelessness of staff, the virus escaped the lab and unleashed mayhem in the city. Dead People were running to feed on living one.

That delivery guy was lucky to reach unharmed at the gates of that Villa. But luck ran out as soon as he pressed the doorbell and announced his arrival. The security dog from that lab somehow made their way into this Villa. The dog found that delivery guy, and then it made his way into the Villa via the open door. 

The sea of faces was watching in horror. The dog, accompanied by the delivery guy, entered the room and began their feast. All ran for their lives.

Kevin and Miranda ran towards their safety bunker. One of the zombie guests sinks her teeth into Miranda's right leg. 

Kevin picked her up and ran towards their safety bunker. He immediately chopped that leg of Miranda and dressed the wound. The living room was in chaos. After some time, the virus converted all the living into living dead, except for Kevin and Miranda. They were safe in their bunker.

Kevin switched on the TV to see what was happening in the world. No one reported anything. Not even the local news reported any events. But before Kevin could say anything, Miranda shouted at the top of her voice.

'Kill me Kev, I don't want to live like that.'

'Hold on Hon. Everything will be alright. Just keep breathing.'

'No, I don't want to turn into those monsters. Kill me, Kev.'

'No, don't say such things. We are safe here.'

Kevin saw something, and his face couldn't hide the fear.

'What is it, Kev. Tell me, what is it?'

'Nothing to worry about,' said Kevin with fear and doubt dripping from his eyes. 

The eyes of Miranda were gone red, and anytime she could become the living dead. An idea popped into the mind of Kevin. He rushed towards the travel pod. It was a prototype for long-distance space travel that shuts down the body to a bare minimum need-to-survive use only. It would work for three to four years max. He was given this by another space company CEO to work on extending those years of survival.

He placed Miranda inside that pod and closed the door. The time was of the essence, and he did not want to lose her. The pod worked, and Miranda went into a deep sleep. But before he can cover that pod with cloth, an explosion rocked the ground. Five missiles annihilated the entire city to get rid of the virus. The bunker saved Kevin and Miranda from the blast, but none of the other souls survived that blast. 

Kevin checked the satellite camera, and he could see only debris lying around. The greenery around the house was in fumes. It would be two or three days minimum before his team can rescue both of them.

He checked the fridge as he was feeling hungry due to the surprise party between dinner. His heart sank when he saw broccoli on every shelf of that fridge.

 A second explosion rocked the bunker. The secondary power went out, and the darkness returned quickly. The pod was running on its power source, but that back-up would last only four days. 

Fear began rushing back to his mind. He heard something and his mind took care of the rest with a powerful imagination. He took out his phone and switched on the torchlight. The pod was empty, and he could feel that somebody was breathing heavily on his shoulders. He turned back and saw the zombie face of Miranda. He fell to the ground, unconscious.

Someone threw water on his face, and he woke up in his living room. There was a sea of faces looking at him with worry. 

He looked up and saw Miranda's face without any red eyes.

Reality sank in.

'Sorry, Kev. It was too much of a surprise for a birthday party. Next time no such celebrations,' said Miranda.

Kevin's imagination won the battle and gave him a ride of zombie land as soon as he hit the floor when he saw that sea of faces staring at him under that torchlight. 

He got up and smiled. He thanked everyone for the wishes and made his way to the bunker. Kevins' only mission, for now, was to replace broccoli with lasagne.

September 23, 2020 05:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.