12 comments

Adventure Fiction Suspense

Choice: Press Play or Press Exit.


You Press Play.


Note: Warning, Choices made are Choices kept. Future Choices do not override past ones. No matter how hard you try to forget, your memories may never fade. It is The Game that controls your destiny from here on out. Choose wisely. 


You're laying in a bed of wildflowers, the dewey morning grass soaking you through. The sky above you is a pale orange, quickly fading to blue. No clouds in sight, the sun is blinding at first but slowly decides to show you kindness. You sit up to find the field you are lying in is peppered with wildflowers. White daisies, red poppies, yellow daffodils, irises, dandelions, tulips, roses, orchids and all sorts of flowers that should not be growing together naturally create an ocean of color in the green grass sea engulfing your body. You watch the wildflowers sway in the wind, and decide to pick one. 


Choice: Pick the Red Poppy or the Yellow Daffodil.


You choose the Red Poppy. 


Questionable Choice.


You move as though to pluck the flower from the earth, but are quickly met with the prick of a thorn. As you draw your hand back in pain a drop of blood falls from your fingertip. You watch it fall, and notice the wind carries it farther than it ought to go. You look up to see which direction the wind is blowing, only to find it is all being pulled into a deep, dark cave on the side of a nearby mountain.


Choice: Ignore It or Investigate.


You choose to Investigate.


As you approach you notice the growing stench of rotten bodies, plant and mammal alike, reeking and seeping into your nostrils. Your stomach turns, but you struggle onward. You make it to the entrance of the cavern. The opening is lined with moss and water leaks from every crevice. It is pitch black, you cannot see even centimeters in front of you. As you peer into the opening the wind grows stronger, pulling you a few feet inside and scattering freezing piercing water droplets onto your skin. Your clothes are now so drenched your bones have begun to ache.


Choice: Enter or Run. 


Note: The wind is too strong. There is no real choice at all.


You choose to Enter.


Without hesitation, you throw yourself into the cave. It is echoing with the intense sound of never-ceasing wind. Completely blind and losing your balance, you trip and fall, causing you to roll off a ledge. You hit the ground hard, losing 15 Health Points. Thankfully, there is now a dim light and the wind can no longer reach you. You notice the room you're in is lined with red carpeting as your clothes start to dampen the floor. Gold as well as jewels scatter the floor, and a few are stuck to your arms, palms, and legs. You squint to see a red velvet couch sitting against a wall across from you. Next to it resides a deep, dark cavern of unknown contents.


You notice something, or someone, beginning to approach you from the depths of the new dark cavern. As it does, a small light begins to grow and the room fills with an eerie glow. 


Choice: Cover Your Eyes or Go Temporarily Blind.


You choose to Cover Your Eyes and shield them from the light. 


After a few moments your eyes adjust and you drop your arm. It is then you see a bright, radiating being with the body of a man hovering in the midst of the cave. He has shimmering, glowing skin that appears to be made only of yellow and gold glitter. He adorns a royal blue robe and a crown of golden leaves. He is faceless, but from the glistening exterior where his eyes should be he seems to be looking down at you. He reaches out his hand towards you. 


Otyx: Foolish mortal. You dare enter my quarters without invitation? I suppose I should kill you for such impertinence. But I am feeling merciful on this joyous day. Perhaps, we could strike a deal. If you sell me your soul, I will not kill you. 


Choice: Otyx, God of the Mountains, offers you a deal. Sell Your Soul to Otyx or try to Escape. 


Note: You can’t Play Again if you sell your soul.


You choose to Escape.


In a feeble attempt to turn back, you run towards the opening of the cave. A sharp beam of light hits the rocks above you. They fall, crushing you in a steadfast defeat. You lose 100 Health Points. 


You are unsuccessful.


Choice: Respawn or Exit.


You choose to Respawn.


Note: Are you sure you want to Respawn?


Respawn activated.


You're laying in a bed of wildflowers, the dewey morning grass soaking you through. The sky above you is a pale orange, quickly fading to blue. No clouds in sight, the sun is blinding at first but slowly decides to show you kindness. You slowly sit up to find the field you are lying in is peppered with wildflowers. White daisies, red poppies, yellow daffodils, irises, dandelions, tulips, roses, orchids and all sorts of flowers that should not be growing together naturally create an ocean of color in the green grass sea engulfing your body. You watch the wildflowers sway in the wind, and decide to pick one. 


Choice: Pick the Red Poppy or the Yellow Daffodil.


You choose the Yellow Daffodil.


Reasonable Choice.


Note: Remember, The Game doesn’t forget. 


You pick the sweet-smelling flower and hold it up to the sky in order to intricately observe its qualities. During your inspection you spot wisping smoke far off in the distance. It seems to be coming from beyond the woods opposite the cavernous mountains. 


Choice: Follow the Smoke or Run to the Mountains. 


You choose to Follow the Smoke.


You stand and begin the journey through the field towards the trees. As you approach the woods, you come to realize that the trees are all at least twenty feet high. An irregular assortment of birds nest in the highest of the branches. Peering up into the trees, you make eye contact with a jet-black crow with glowing yellow eyes. Eyes eerily similar to the God of the Mountains. With a gulp, you stare into the ever-thickening treeline. 


Choice: Enter the Woods or Turn Back Now.


Note: If you Turn Back Now the birds will take note of your weakness. 


You choose to Enter the Woods.


You begin to walk into the woods. The sky fills with clouds and your surroundings darken. You hear frogs off in the distance accompanied by the chatter of bugs. Sticks and leaves crunch beneath your feet, and you have to be mindful of erratic stones lining the floor. The birds seem to follow you, but only from behind and never leaving the trees. You carry on, despite the hair on your neck prickling against your collar.


As you walk you come upon a rushing river twisting in the midst of the trees. You look beyond it, and notice smoke curling above the trees on the other side. To continue your journey you need to find a way across. The water is a dark blue, and impossible to see through. Still, you have a sinking feeling that something dangerous lies below the waters. 


Choice: Attempt to Cross or Attempt to Find Another Way.


You choose to Attempt to Find Another Way.


No matter how hard you try, you can’t shake the ominous feeling the water brings. You continue walking, this time along the side of the river. You follow its path, listening to the rushing waters and cries of the birds, when you come across a log wedged between either bank of the river. It is just large enough to walk upon.


Choice: Cross the Log or Keep Walking.


You choose to Cross the Log.


As you step on the log begins to wobble under your weight. Thankfully, you make it across in one piece. You relish in your small victory. Still, the end of your journey is far away. You look back from whence you came, only to see the crow with the glowing eyes staring back at you from the opposite bank. He cannot cross. 


Your nostrils begin to flare as the stench of smoke fills the air. You turn back again only to find the edge of the forest on the horizon. You run, and soon enough, the broad light of day available outside of the woods is shining down on you once more. The field before you is made entirely of dirt. The air is damp enough that no dust can be seen. The birds, specifically a deafening crow, can be heard whirring in the distance. They seem to be getting louder. You try to focus on the landscape. The air is still heavy and thick with smoke. You struggle to breathe. 


Choice: Follow the Smoke or Run Away.


Note: Appearances can always be deceiving.


You choose to Follow the Smoke.


Note: Not that deceiving.


You continue on trekking through the dirt, avoiding seemingly weak spots as you go. You notice a village far off in the distance. It is just barely within your range of sight. The smoke seems to be coming from it. The air surrounding you grows continually grayer. 


Choice: Run Towards It or Run Away from It. 


You choose to Run Towards It. 


You run as the sky grows dark. As you approach the village it becomes abundantly clear that it is up in flames. A growing roar can be heard from inside it. 


Choice: Enter the Village or Turn Back. 


Note: This is your last chance to Turn Back.


You choose to Enter the Village. 


You run into the smoke with your shirt over your nose and mouth. You are now grateful to be soaked through. You listen as the flames cackle at you, starving for your bones. You avoid the burning buildings and run through the streets. You avoid the rubble falling around you.


You hear pounding to your left. You turn to see a girl trapped inside a building, desperately trying to get your attention behind a sound-proof window. There is no door in sight. 


Your eyes widen and in desperation you run to the window. You hit it, over and over, but it won’t budge. Her big, round brown eyes stare into yours as tears begin to fall. You scream, “Laura!” but no voice can be heard through the glass.


Choice: Save the Girl or Move On.


You choose to Save the Girl. 


Note: You cannot Save the Girl.


You pound and scream at the window, but the Game has made its Choice.


Choice: Move On.


Note: You cannot Exit at this time.


You choose to Move On. 


As tears fall down your face, you notice the roaring calling to you from the middle of the village. Guilt-ridden and desperate, you turn and run. You are too afraid to look back. The crashing sound grows louder. You turn a corner and see a giant flaming boar with glowing yellow eyes wreaking havoc in the middle of the street


Choice: Fight or Run.


Note: Not everyone needs to be a hero.


You choose to Fight. 


You face the burning boar with a glare. It paws at the ground, ready to charge. Your eyes flick to the pile of rubble next to you. 


Choice: Throw a Rock or Stab with a Shard of a Gutter. 


You choose to Stab with a Shard of a Gutter. 


You pick up the shard and wait. As the boar lunges at you you hold up the shard to stab it. The metal breaks upon impact and the boar impales you with its horn. 


Minus 100 Health Points.


Choice: Respawn or Exit.


You choose to Respawn.


You return to the center of the street with the boar. He is about to charge.


Choice: Throw a Rock or Stab with a Shard of a Gutter. 


You choose to Throw a Rock.


You grab the biggest rock you physically can and thrust it at the boar. It hits him square in the face. He shakes it off. He charges at you and impales you with a flaming horn. 


That is three lives spent. Game Over.


Choice: Play Again or Exit.


You choose to Play Again. 


Error. Play Again failure.


Choice: Exit.


Note: This is the end you cannot come back from.


You choose to Respawn.


Note: You cannot Respawn. Respawning is not an option. 


You choose to Respawn.


Note: You cannot Respawn. Respawning is not an option.


You choose to Respawn.


Note: Stop trying to respawn. It is futile. Your choices have been made. 


You choose to Respawn.


Note: Your fate is predestined. Don’t try to escape it.


You choose to Respawn.


Note: Stop Trying. 


You choose to Respawn.


Note: Stop Trying.


You choose to Respawn.


Note: Stop T-*&^%@#(@(#@)**


Override. 


Override.


Override.


You choose to Respawn.


Note: Memory never fades. 


You're laying in a bed of wildflowers, the dewey morning grass soaking you through. The sky above you is a pale orange, quickly fading to blue. No clouds in sight, the sun is blinding at first but slowly decides to show you kindness. You slowly sit up to find the field you are lying in is peppered with wildflowers. White daisies, red poppies, yellow daffodils, irises, dandelions, tulips, roses, orchids and all sorts of flowers that should not be growing together naturally create an ocean of color in the green grass sea engulfing your body. You watch the wildflowers sway in the wind, and decide to pick one. 


Choice: Pick the Red Poppy or the Yellow Daffodil.


You choose to Run.


Note: That is not an option. 


You choose it anyway. 


You jump up from the grass and sprint towards the woods, crushing the poppy and the daffodil on the way. 


You make it to the entrance of the woods. With a deep breath and a courageous heart, you fight the terror that lies within. You win. You burst into the dim lighting and eerie atmosphere, nearly tripping with every step over rocks and roots. You try to ignore the deadly gaze of the birds surrounding you. From somewhere above, you hear a sound that sends chills down your spine. The crow with the glowing eyes lets out a blood curdling cry. He takes flight from his home in the branches and dives at you as a falcon would. He gets caught in your hair, screeching in your ear and nearly scratching your eyes out. You fight him, but his frantic state makes winning nearly impossible. 


The commotion of the attack seems to awaken something primal inside the other birds. They start to shake and scream, and every single bird sheds it's feathers and seems to shift into a crow identical to the one in your hair. In a flurry of colorful feathers, the birds dive down at you with their new sleek black attires. They scratch at you, scream, cry, and bite. You are engulfed by crows. 


Minus 15 Health Points.


Minus 15 Health Points. 


Minus 15 Health Points.


You hear running water nearby.


In a moment of drastic desperation you throw yourself into the river. 


The crows go down with you. They cannot swim. 


You plunge into the ice cold water. The river seems to be as deep as an ocean. Unknown creatures brush up against you, but they seem to be more focused on the birds. You watch as some kind of mutant fish bites the head off one of the birds. 


Your eyes grow wide and you swim as fast as you can back up to shore. The water is rushing, and you simply cannot fight it. It begins to carry you down stream.


Note: If you lose hope, hope is really lost. 


You hit the log wedged between the river banks.


Boss Defeated: Crows.


You latch onto the log and pull yourself up onto it. You crawl back onto dry land. A wave of relief replenishes some of your Energy. 


Note: There is little time to waste. The Game is not pleased. It will stop you soon. 


You jump to your feet and continue sprinting until you are out of the forest. You are now in the dirt field, more covered in smoke than ever before. You fight through the smoke, the corners of your vision turning black. 


You make it to the village. You run in without hesitation.


After precious minutes of frantic searching, you find it. The window. The window with the girl trapped behind it.


You choose to Save the Girl. 


Note: You cannot Save the Girl.


Overrideoverrideoverideoverrideoverideoverideoverr-


Note: Destiny rewritten. The Game is collapsing under the weight of your rebellion. Be warned, for The Game is losing its grasp on your fate. 


You choose to Save the Girl.


You grab a sharp rock from the rubble of the street before running towards the flaming building. The girl sees you and noiselessly cries out to you in desperation. You throw the rock with all your might at the window. Having successfully broken the glass, you rush to the girl and pick her up as one would a bride. You carry her out of the flaming house and set her down safely on the street.


Laura: Ajax! I knew you would come back for me, I knew you would save me! Thank you. Thank you so much.


Player Two has rejoined The Game. 


Laura wraps her arms around you, and the flames around you suddenly cease. The roaring can no longer be heard in the distance. 


Boss has despawned: Boar.


Laura: I knew we could do it! I told you we could. We could defeat this foul game together. We can win, I know we can. When I was caught, I thought all was lost. But you found me. Of course you found me. 


Boss Defeated: Game. The Game no longer has control over this world. Continue playing?


Choice: Exit or Stay.


Note: Warning, your fate is in your own hands.


You choose to Stay.

May 11, 2023 16:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Theresa Amante
20:46 May 18, 2023

Wonderful world building! I really got a sense of the place— it felt vast, and unpredictable even though it was following a game script? haha I also really loved how evocative your language is, and the narrators "voice" (e.g "Questionable choice") has a lot of personality as well :) It was a fun and easy read! Thank you for writing it!

Reply

22:52 May 18, 2023

Thank you to the moon and back, I am so happy you enjoyed reading this short story of mine! I really appreciate the resonse.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C. A. Janke
20:00 May 18, 2023

"Player Two has rejoined The Game." - I just about cheered! This story is a blast to read! I love the almost sarcastic/snarky personality the game has towards the protagonist with lines like "Note: Appearances can always be deceiving... Note: Not that deceiving." and "Note: Not everyone needs to be a hero." I especially love this line towards the beginning - "There is no real choice at all." - and how Ajax of course rejects this entirely by the end and fights back against what is supposedly inevitable and unchangeable. Really great work!

Reply

22:52 May 18, 2023

I am so glad you liked it! You have no idea how much it means to me to hear that my writing truly has an impact on readers! I really appreciate the feedback and praise. Thank you so, so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paola Andriotaki
13:31 May 18, 2023

Your story took my breath away! The perspective you took on the matter was very dynamic and imaginative Alexandra.

Reply

17:52 May 18, 2023

Thank you so much, you're too kind! I am so glad you liked it, and feel that way!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S N
17:09 May 16, 2023

This is brilliant, Alexandra! I really love it. After reading it, it kind of reminds of battling depression and anxiety and dealing with the ebb and flow of ones own perception of personal efficacy and the change they can effect, the choices that have to make and whether or not those choices are themselves constructs of someone else's framing. Thank you for a fantastic read!

Reply

01:35 May 17, 2023

Thank you so much, Sasha! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it. That is a very cool connection, I really appreciate it! I'm glad you see a deeper meaning than what's on the surface, that's what I genuinely intended with this one. It's far more than meets the eye. Thank you for commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
23:07 May 14, 2023

An interesting take on the prompt! I'm reminded of old text based adventures like Zork, though there's a theme here about breaking rules vs fate. The game itself is an interesting character too, as it seems quite antagonistic. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

03:09 May 15, 2023

Thank you so much for reading and the thoughtful comment! I'm glad it reminded you of old video games, that's what I was going for! A mix between everything from the basic oregon-trail type to games like Zork. Yes, I tried to make it the antagonist, Zathura-style.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:43 May 11, 2023

Suspense and adventure. Perfect for a gamer. I don't do these games but I guess it is a fairly accurate depiction of what happens? Thanks for reading and liking 'Justice Screams'. I asked someone else but if I may get another opinion. Do you think I need to describe Rene more in this chapter turned into a short story? He is described in an earlier chapter in the book as quite despicable but I don't know if that came off enough in this excerpt. Thanks for liking my Walking to California.

Reply

19:39 May 11, 2023

Thank you! Of coure! I quite enjoyed it. I'll leave a comment over there!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.