0 comments

General

"Wow!" She gasped. She had never seen so many stars so clearly. She wanted to take a picture, but decided it was best to just remember the moment for what it was. Her phone also died on their drive to the outer banks, so she couldn't have,even if she wanted to.

As she was absorbing every detail of that moment, her mind drifted. She began to think about all of her most vivid memories. She thought about the first time she met her best friend, Miles, and how they both looked so absurd in their catholic school uniforms. It was their first day of high school and they were assigned to sit next to each other in Mr. Nurwick's class. His hair was still wet and he exclaimed, "Well isn't it a beautiful day for everyone to sit in this muggy classroom and silently judge what everyone else is doing!" At that moment I knew we were going to get along.

She wondered if that was what really happened. She knew that her idea of what happened probably resembled what everyone else saw, but she also knew that everyone perceived the world differently. For example, she saw that moment as, "This kid seems alright," where as, Rebecca Lampanelli, a girl who's depth can be compared to a Frisbee, probably thought, "Can this idiot shut up! I'm trying to-- Ooh shiny!"

Then she began to wonder if she'd ever remember the stars exactly as they were that night. Maybe the next time she tried to think about them, her mind would subconsciously exaggerate how bright they were, or elaborate the amount of stars she was seeing at that very moment.

"Hey! Katie? Earth to Katie," Miles uttered whilst waving his hands in her face.

"Oh sorry. The stars are just really beautiful here." Katie finally responded.

"They are aren't they."

"Miles, how do you remember the day we met?" Katie asked.

"Hmm. Well, it was the first day of our ninth year. You were wearing this very unique plaid skirt and a white button up polo. Of course I noticed the superficial things about you first: Blonde curly hair, Hazel eyes, the tail sticking out of your skirt, etc. At first I thought you were going to be a prick, until you got a notification and I saw that your wall paper was Kurt Cobain. From there on out I knew you would be a great mocker." Miles acted out the whole scene with accents and grabbed a stick to symbolize the tail. He'd always been one for theatrics.

"Why thank you. I don't understand why the art of mockery isn't hung at the Louvre. Then Mona Lisa would finally have something to laugh at so she can stop doing that demented smile." They both laughed gleefully, "But what do you remember about yourself? I'm just trying to see if what I recall in my head is accurate."

"I told you AP psychology was a mistake. My hair was wet and I'm pretty sure I came into class and said something sarcastic. I spotted you immediately, mainly because of the tail, but I guess your beauty might've had something to do with it." He smirked.

"By George! The tin man does have a heart!" Katie tried to say it with ease, but she couldn't hide her crimson colored cheeks.

This was another moment that she wanted to remember. There are millions of moments in life that are just forgotten, but she never wanted to forget Miles's bright blue eyes. His ginger hair and freckles. "I know it's a bummer that your probably going to die of melanoma, but your ashen skin is looking very healthy in this lighting. You don't even look like you're in the midst of a heart attack." Katie stated.

"Thank you Kathrine. I think. honestly I'm not sure if that was an insult or not, but I know how difficult it must've been for you to say that to me."

"I'm trying to say you look handsome. Almost attractive, in like a reproductive way. Like your future kin may have to live without there father since he died of skin cancer, but at least they will get to look attractive."

"Well you know what they say."

"No, I don't. What do they say?"

"You can either grow up with a father and be ugly, or your father can die an untimely death due to his opposition to the big sun screen corporations," Miles already knew what Katie was going to ask and said, "He's against sunscreen because of its inadvertent racist advertising."

Katie nodded, "Did Plato or Socrates say that?"

"Actually William Shakespeare did. Most people completely misunderstand what Macbeth is really about."

"I see. I'm glad you could clarify that for me."

"Hey, Katie. Don't tease me for what I'm about to say. If your answer is no then just pretend I never said it. Okay?"

"Okay. You're scaring me a little bit." She replied.

"How would you feel if I kissed you right now? I mean I will reiterate this until I'm blue in the face, but if your-" and all went silent. Well everything except for the sound of two hormonal adolescents finally convening in a kiss under the stars.

They stared into each others eyes, and Katie said, "Wait. I want to remember every detail. Every star in the sky. I want to remember this as perfectly as it is."

"Well as long as we're having an intermission, I think I may go take a leak." Miles said.

"Awe, I always knew you had a little Jane Austen in you." Katie teased.

Katie tried to count every single star in the sky. By the time she got to fifteen, she couldn't help but think about how all of these stars were surrounded by planets, and from each of those planets you could see even more stars.

"Earth to Katie!" Miles shouted to snap her out of her trance.

"I could only get to fifteen." She replied.

They never were able to remember exactly how that night looked superficially. However, they never forgot how aligned and perfect it all felt. All the stars looked a lot brighter.

April 25, 2020 09:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.