5 Stages of Grief

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with a life-changing event.... view prompt

162 comments

General


“They’re inseparable, those two.” My mom would often say. She wasn’t wrong. 


Jess and I have been best friends since nursery school. We knew each other so well. So that’s how I know she’ll wake up. There I was, sitting at her hospital bed, clutching her hand, holding back tears. I rested my head on her stomach. C’mon, I’m better than this. Don’t cry. Don’t. Cry. I don’t remember what happened to Jess. All I know is that I’m here now, sitting at what might be her deathbed. 


“Don’t leave me... Please, I NEED you.” I softly whispered into her ear. 


Holding back tears was about the hardest thing to do. I couldn’t help myself. If I lost her, it’d feel like I lost a part of myself. I took a minute. I wiped off the tears with my shirt, letting out a strong sniff before touching her cheek and leaving the room. 


Denial: 


I walked out of that hospital room with a sense of feeling lost. 


“She can’t be dead.” I thought. 


“Whatever happened to her, I’m sure it can be treated, right?” 


It felt like I was lying to myself. For what? This is stupid. I should just come to grips with it. I was walking down the hall, looking at the floor. I froze up when her parents approached the room. Her Mom stopped to talk to me. 


“What happened to Jess? What happened to my poor baby?” She said in shock. I could see the fear in her eyes. Poor lady, she just found out. She was holding both my arms tight, looking at me right in the eye. I felt like I was put on the spot to answer.


“I-I don’t know, I was already here and--” I cut myself off. How did I get here? I don’t remember driving. I guess I rode in the EMT truck with Jess when it happened. She noticed the pause, so she continued. 


“Listen, Nick. I know this is a lot to take in. I think you need some rest, honey. I can tell this is stressing you out. You should head on home, okay? Say hi to your mom for me.” She said to me. 


“W-will do, Ms. Maheshwaran.” I said to her. I drove home feeling out of sorts. 


What happened to Jess? She’s in a coma, but from what? From who? For some reason, I felt like I knew what happened to her. I think I just needed to clear my head; my mind felt fuzzy. I opened the door to my apartment, threw the keys on the kitchen table and went to my bedroom.


As I took off my coat, I noticed an orange hue in the corner of my eye. I turned around with a quickness. It was sitting on my nightstand. What the hell is that? I wondered, as I curiously walked over to it. A pill bottle. It had Rohypnol written on it. Did someone drug me? Is that why I don’t remember anything from the past 48 hours? I started to piece together a theory. 


Anger: 


“It was her BOYFRIEND.” I said to myself. 


It made sense. I never liked that guy. He didn’t cherish her like I did, but for some reason, Jess felt obligated to stay with this asshole. He probably got her to overdose or something. Enough to knock her into a coma. What the hell is this dude’s problem? I was gonna confront him. I got in my car, and proceeded to drive to Chris’s house. I knew it for sure. He was a little bit of a druggie, so I’m not surprised that it was him. 


I got to his front porch, furious. I did two hard knocks on the door; pattering my foot, arms crossed. I shook my head in disbelief and anger. This guy BETTER have a good reason. At this point, there’s nothing stopping me from straight up killing this guy. He answered the door, looking like he just woke up. Figures. 


“So, that's your ideal Saturday, huh? Just, beat your girlfriend half to death, and go back to sleep. Job well done, you psychopath?!” I shouted at him.  


“What the hell are you talking about?” He said, confused. He was still rubbing his eyes, adjusting to the morning sun.


“Oh wow,” I slow clapped, “Bravo, bravo… Oscar worthy performance. Feel good about yourself, Ted Bundy?” 


“What happened to Jess? Is she in the hospital?” He said, lost. 


“C’mon, man. Cut the shit, I know it was you. Just come clean and I promise I’ll do the same to you that you did to Jess.” I said, stepping towards him as I was rolling up my sleeves. He raised his arms in a backing off motion. 


“Hey, what are you doing? I didn’t even KNOW Jess was in the hospital.” 


“Yeah you--” 


I had that feeling again. I touched my head, stumbling back a bit. I regained balance, and apologized to Chris. 


“S-sorry, man. I’m just out of it, today. It’s just… What happened with Jess. It was… Bad.” 


“You would know. She was with you last.” 


“WHAT? Since when?” 


“Well, you said you guys were gonna go on a hike, remember?” 


“No, not really.” 


A faded memory started to surface in my mind. I WAS with her. She was knocked unconscious, in front of me. Did I let the killer get away?


“Um,” He snapped his fingers at me, “Nick? You good.” 


The image slipped away from my mind; Chris snapped me out of it. 


“Dude, what the hell? I was starting to piece together what happened in my head!” I said, angry. 


“Sorry,” he paused, “I’m gonna check on Jess. What hospital is she at?” 


“Ask her mom, she’ll tell you.” I said. 


He frantically got in his car and drove off. I was still standing on his porch, lost. What happened on that hike? 


Depression: 


I layed in bed, staring at the ceiling. Who would do this to her? She was a light of hope in this horrible world. A whole future ahead of her; she wanted to be a nurse. Help people, take care of them. Nursing them back to recovery, making sure their families can still make memories with loved ones. She was such a sweet girl. I remember the time we were out in the woods once. We were 12. I saw a roly-poly bug, so I was gonna squash it. 


“No, don’t do that!” Jess shouted at me. I froze in my tracks. 


“What? Why not?” I curiously asked. 


“C’mon, get on outta here.” She said, as she shooed the bug away. 


"What's the big deal? It's just a bug."


"It's more than just a bug, Nick. It's a living creature."


"But it's not like," I paused, "Human or anything."


“How would you feel if someone stepped on YOU?” 


“Um, no one’s that big.” 


She laughed.


“Yeah, but imagine if you were that bug. You have a family that loves you. The bestest friend in the whole wide world!” She grinned, then continued, “Imagine you have a nice job, comfortable house, on your way back from work. And then BAM, just like that, some guy steps on you. And that’s it. Gone.” 


“Yeah, I guess I would feel really bad, huh?” 


“You’d be dead, silly.” 


It’s funny how it comes full circle. Not good funny, though. Like, sadistically, unfortunately funny. I wasn’t sad for Jess, Which was weird. I should feel for her, right? Am I grieving correctly? Does that even make sense? There’s no wrong way to grieve. I felt more sad for the person who did this. It’s like, why? Why’d you do this? 


She did nothing to you. You had no reason. She didn’t deserve this. Why does the world work this way? I hadn’t noticed that I started tearing up; I could barely see the ceiling anymore. 


Bargaining: 


I wiped them off my face and began asking for forgiveness. 


“Please, God. Help me. It should’ve been me. I know whoever did this didn’t mean it. Take that person’s life for hers.”  


But for some reason, I didn’t want that. I didn’t want that person to die in place for Jess. I felt like it would be unfair to kill someone else. I could feel for this person, and I don’t know why, but I felt connected to the killer. Maybe I knew the person? I don’t know. Or maybe it’s because Jess is my best friend and it’s easy to imagine who’d want me dead. Er, her dead. Either way, I can’t let her die in vain. Not like this. 


“I’m not asking for you to bring her back. All I’m asking for is closure. Even if it’s just for a second. Please. Just let me talk to her.” 


I knew it wasn’t gonna happen. I had to think, is this really what I wanted? Yes, it was. If it’s the last time I ever talk to her, I want her to know that I was there for her. Since the beginning. She was the only person in the world I felt really understood me. She was made for me. I wanted her. But, then she met Chris. Frickin’ Chris. It’s unfair. How could she not see that she belonged with ME?


I know I can’t change the past, but I can change the present. I should confess my feelings for her. I picked up my phone. 3 Missed calls from Jess’s mom. Crap. I called back, anxious to hear from her. 


“Nick, Jess is,” She began to cry, “S-she’s.... Just… come to the hospital.” 


I left the house, but before I went out the door, I looked at the pill bottle. Was I taking them to forget what happened to Jess? Did I know what happened? I thought about it for a second, then went out the door. 


Acceptance: 


I got to the room, and stood in the doorway, still. Why did this happen to you? I approached her. She was, almost dead. Basically only alive because of the machine. I sat down, firmly grasping her hand.


“Hey, Jess. It’s me, Nick. I know this is a bad time, but I need to tell you something that’s been on my mind.” I stared at her lifeless face; like a vessel with no inhabitant. 


“It’s just, ever since I met you, I knew you were the one for me. And I know, I know, you have a boyfriend. And that’s okay. I accept that. But, I just thought, if you’re still even the slightest bit conscious, I wanted you to know I never took our friendship for granted. I just never had you to myself. We never dated, and although I'm still hung up on it, I’ll always cherish what we did have. And for that reason, I’ll never forget you. EVER.” I said to her. 


I froze. My memory caught up to speed in that moment. What I said made something click in my head. Then it hit me. I think I figured out the reason why I wasn’t able to be sad about Jess. I told her,

"I’ll never forget you."


It’s starting to come back. The pill bottle on my nightstand, Me blaming Chris immediately, the strange feeling I had about the killer, the inability to really feel for Jess’s death; All of it’s connected. It all comes full circle. It's because I did it. 


I killed Jess.

May 31, 2020 13:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

162 comments

Kathleen March
16:06 Jun 01, 2020

So... first of all, this has a narrative arc that is appealing. Now to make an observation that is meant in a very supportive way: The story could have more impact if shorter, with less telling and with words that hit the reader in the gut more. The drug seems odd, because it's one people don't keep around unless they've got evil designs and the narrator seems to love Jess. Nice effort!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
16:46 Jun 01, 2020

Thanks! I had to hit the word count, though. So, I tried to keep it brief while still hitting it. Also sorry, I like to tell, not very good at using less when describing. I'll be sure to tone it down though! Thanks for your support and feedback! I look forward to hearing more from you!

Reply

Kathleen March
17:38 Jun 01, 2020

It seemed longer than 3,000, but none of mine is that long. I feel comfortable at around 2400-2500 maximum, but once in a while go longer. What I've learned is that less is often more. Stretching is something my students used to do when writing essays for Spanish class in college, and I said "no paja" which means 'no straw' or 'no stuffing'. Not being critical of you but rather trying to use humor with my response to you. I am currently writing a story that is about 1500 words, but I need to tighten it up. By doing that, I hope to shake loos...

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
21:15 Jun 01, 2020

Oh, very enlightening, thank you! I'll work on making a story work better "shorter" if that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
X Y
15:56 Jun 01, 2020

Wow! What a surprise in the end. This was very well-written.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
15:59 Jun 01, 2020

Thanks! It wasn't too obvious?

Reply

X Y
16:01 Jun 01, 2020

No it wasn't. It seemed like the guy wanted to protect Jess the whole time and loved her and I was completely shocked by the ending.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
16:02 Jun 01, 2020

Oh, wow! Thanks, that means a lot! I love that you love it! So, you got any new stories in the works?

Reply

X Y
17:09 Jun 01, 2020

I'm working on one right now actually. It's about high heel shoes. :p It's not related in any way to Reedsy though and it needs editing. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Gravesande
16:47 Jun 01, 2020

Oh, cool. Glad it was twisty, lol.

Reply

X Y
17:10 Jun 01, 2020

Yeah. You're a good writer. Keep up the great work!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
17:10 Jun 01, 2020

Thanks! You're FAR better, though. I'm only 15, lol. soon to be 16.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:33 Jun 01, 2020

Great story! Maybe next time you should try to make it a bit subtler, but other than that, it is a great plot, and I loved how you developed your characters!:)

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
15:50 Jun 01, 2020

Thanks! I just wanted it to be subtle but I went too far with the memory thing, lol. What do you think gave it away?

Reply

17:28 Jun 01, 2020

The memory part. I guess you kind of went too far on that :)

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
17:29 Jun 01, 2020

Darn. That's okay though, I'm glad you liked the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ciaran O'Neill
14:33 Jun 01, 2020

You captured the intense emotions of the character well - it was easy to empathise with him because of your descriptions and dialogue, all very well-written. I liked the structure of the 5 stages of grief, very clever narrative style - though maybe this would have been better after she died rather when she is on her death bed. The twist was good, but I think the whole 48 hour amnesia gave it away. Good work!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
14:39 Jun 01, 2020

Darn, I was trying to make it subtle. Glad you enjoyed it though!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
14:21 Jun 01, 2020

Intense! Loved it though! It grabbed my attention easily! You had a good amount of detail, which was good! Overall great story!!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
14:40 Jun 01, 2020

Thanks! Was it too obvious, the ending? How could I have made it more subtle? Thanks again for the feedback, by the way!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
18:07 Jun 01, 2020

It wasn't that obvious, but I kinda suspected it. If I wanted my readers to not know what was coming next I would make another character and make the readers think it was them. It's kind of hard to explain, but overall great story!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
21:14 Jun 01, 2020

Gotcha! I know what you mean. I was trying to make it seem like the boyfriend but I should've pushed his character a little bit more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anja Z
14:16 Jun 01, 2020

Great story , thought maybe its going in that direction but you still kept me intrigued. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
14:39 Jun 01, 2020

Darn, I wasn't trying to make it obvious, lol. What gave it away?

Reply

Anja Z
16:07 Jun 01, 2020

I think maybe it was the fact that you named the stages so it lets us as readers think something is up that the guy might be hiding something ,, if you understand what I mean why don't you let him grieve more and drink pills to let him relax inbetween so that we as readers think that he has a problem , resulting in us thinking that it can't be him

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anja Z
16:08 Jun 01, 2020

BUT I still think it's a great story , maybe next time you can try something like that.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
16:43 Jun 01, 2020

Okay, I will try to incorporate that the next time I do a story like this, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Vrishni Maharaj
10:38 Jun 01, 2020

Engaging read!!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
12:23 Jun 01, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avani G
14:18 May 31, 2020

Woah! Nick killed Jess? Jeez! That was good suspense! Great job! Oh! I forgot: —

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
15:23 May 31, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
15:25 May 31, 2020

Was it too predictable or was it good? Because I foreshadowed it throughout the whole story and felt I was being too obvious.

Reply

Avani G
16:27 May 31, 2020

A little. Maybe try having the police come in at the end and tell Nick that he is arrested for killing Jess, even though he doesn't remember anything. That would make for a nice, suspenseful ending, especially since the clues don't match up very well. Sorry! I hope that last sentence wasn't hard, lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Daryl, you executed this soooo well! I love how you explained each stage of grief perfectly, it made me enjoy the story so much. Your plot twist was amazing! Just give your self a pat on the back for that. Wow just wow. Well done! I was looking more at your profile and dude your taste in movies and shows are so great. I also that your blasian which is awesome. I'm Jamaican, Asian, and Haitian.

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:30 Aug 15, 2020

AHHHHHHHH SO GOOD

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
00:51 Aug 15, 2020

AHHHHH THANK YOU! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Nghiem
00:38 Jun 08, 2020

Your story is well set up and played, card by card. It is masterful how both the story on its own, and the framework of aligning with the stages of grief could both stand as concepts on their own, yet you have combined them into one story! So this is like have double supports. Very nice work on both the structure and story development! If it weren't for your compelling story, I would have trouble "forgiving" you for making him the killer, as I really relate and like the main character! (In reality, I can understand someone like him accidenta...

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
11:38 Jun 08, 2020

Wow, I LOVE this in-depth analysis! I agree with you on the Chris thing. I feel he didn't react strongly enough, and that's why it makes the reader think that it was him. Also, sorry I didn't address the names, because other writers tell me that I do more telling than showinng, so I was veering away from it to make the dialogue feel more fluid. I'm sorry if that confused you. Thank you for the book, suggestions, I will look into stuff like that, but for now, I think I'll stick to movies. Also, I didn't notice that I was too nice. I'll try to...

Reply

Emily Nghiem
16:09 Jun 08, 2020

Dear Daryl: I can tell by your positive response how nice you are! What I mean by too nice, I mean I can tell because of how nice you are, personally, your characters are going to be shielded or limited, not like the real mean type that destroy themselves tragically from the inside out. The books are not fiction, they are from a psychiatrist who looked into the mindset of sociopathic or pathological liars he treated, and he spelled out what went wrong where their minds went on the wrong path. And what he learned from a priest about the stage...

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
00:42 Jun 09, 2020

Wow, thank you! I love your comments! SO fun to read! And I'm glad there are people like us in the world. You don't see many people that are nice like us! Also, I'll be sure to keep you in mind when I'm doing a story! Real talk, I don't think I'm gonna be writing a story anytime soon. This might've been my last story. But that could change. Thanks again for the EXTREMELY HELPFUL suggestions! Never stop helping! I love hearing from you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.