A Summer With the Rockwell's

Submitted into Contest #260 in response to: Write a story with a big twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

“There’s a monster in the house Mamma,” Daisy rubbed her bleary eyes as she shuffled into the living room, where her Mother sat with a cup of tea. The Mother opened her arms as the little girl crawled into her lap. The radio hummed quietly in the background and a soft glow from a lamp warmed the room.


“Don’t be silly darling,” the Mother soothed, smoothing Daisy’s long, brown braided hair. “Daddy wouldn’t let any monsters inside, would he?” Daisy frowned.


“But Daddy’s been sick for an awfully long time. How can he fight the monsters if he’s sick?”


 “The monsters are scared of Daddy. They wouldn’t dare come here. Now, off to bed with you.” The Mother kissed Daisy’s head and held her hand as she led her back upstairs.


Her husband, Eric, had fallen ill two months ago. At first, it had seemed like merely a slight cold but he had quickly deteriorated. Chills, aches, nausea, headaches, dizziness, cramps, weakness, exhaustion, confusion-the doctors were at a loss. He had been forced to take a leave of absence from work. The doctors suggested a change of scenery might help along with clean country air. So, the family of three rented a charming farmhouse on a popular lake for the summer. The house was tucked away about a ten-minute drive from town on an overgrown apple orchard.


The lake was only an hour or so from the city so many fathers, and sometimes mothers, would drive to work each day while their children attended day camp. This also meant that Eric was not far from his doctors. Friends, family and colleagues often called to check up on him. When he was too weak to speak, the Wife updated them on his health. The Wife could tend to her husband, wheeling him around in the fresh air, and visit with other mothers while he slept. Daisy had made many friends and spent the days running around in the sunshine. Eric even joked that they might finally have the son he wanted after this trip. 


The Wife enjoyed the peace and quiet. She had not had to attend or host a dinner party or afternoon tea in weeks. In all honesty, Eric's illness was a blessing. No more deadly quiet words, no more plates smashed to the black and white tile floor, no more long sleeves, no more sips of gin to calm the nerves, no more holes in the wall. Just peace. Silence. Normalcy. No more, “Yes dear, of course dear, I’m sorry dear." No more shaking in fear as she desperately clutched a shirt she had managed to burn while ironing.  


Her husband was a loving father but a demanding and harsh spouse. Afterwards, there were always new dresses, a wonderful night out and fresh flowers for weeks. He never meant any harm, of course, she just always managed to push his buttons. 


They had been high school sweethearts, a surprising combination of a football star and a bookworm. She had been ecstatic when he had asked her to prom. They married shortly after graduation and began college together. In their third year of school, the Wife became pregnant. Eric wisely encouraged her to put school on hold to take care of their new daughter. The new Mother obliged. Eric said that was what he loved about her-she knew when to listen and she valued her family above everything else. She gave up her dreams in order to be a good Mother and Wife. So, she needed to be the best Mother and Wife she could be. There was nothing else left.


***


The Wife hummed as she stirred a pot of soup on the stove. It was Eric’s favorite. She had won awards for this soup. It was one of the only things that made him feel a bit better. She thought after this batch, he would almost be as good as new. They had been at the farmhouse for three weeks and he was finally doing well. He even had the energy to work on his models and play a game of golf. She knew her soup was a key component to his improved health. Eric was still built like the linebacker he used to be, but lately, he had looked like a giant skeleton, skin hanging off his bones, eyes sunken and face sallow. He was finally starting to fill out again. 


The whole family had gone to the beach today. The weather had been perfect. Eric had a burst of energy and they basked in the sun, letting the water lap at their toes while Daisy splashed around. He was kinder now, calmer. He seemed grateful that his Wife took such good care of him. It was nice to see this side of her husband. Afterwards, Eric had been exhausted and she put him to bed. Daisy went off to her afternoon day camp and the Mother had lunch with a few other Mothers she knew from the city. 


“Mamma!” Daisy shrieked happily, slamming the screen door as she skipped into the kitchen, wrapping her skinny arms around the Mother’s waist. 


“Hello, Sweetheart!” The Mother squeezed her daughter back. “How was your afternoon?”


“It was super fun! We went to the park and had a water balloon fight and-and we made friendship bracelets and um made fruit salad!”


“That sounds like a great day. You wore sunscreen, right?” Daisy rolled her eyes.


“Of course, Mamma. What are you making for dinner?” 


“Fried chicken. I thought we could all go on a walk after we eat, maybe get some ice cream.” Daisy’s eyes brightened in delight as she grinned a gap tooth smile.


“Yes, yes, that sounds great! I’ll go clean up and visit with Daddy.” She hugged her Mother before running up the stairs, sneakers squeaking. 


***


Her husband had continued to do well the past two weeks and had regained much of his strength. The doctors had said Eric was on the mend and that no more appointments were needed. Things have been wonderful. He took Daisy to the park, the family often went out for ice cream and he helped around the house. The couple was spending a nice day at home while Daisy attended a traveling carnival with her day camp. 


That afternoon, after a lovely lunch, the Wife and Eric were washing up before Daisy arrived home. The plan was to spend a night playing board games with their daughter. The Wife was washing the dishes while Eric dried them. She grabbed a mug from amongst the warm suds, wiping it down with a sponge before rinsing it off. As she went to hand it to Eric, her grip slipped. The Wife froze in fear as she watched as the mug fell to the floor, almost in slow motion, before it shattered. She slowly raised her eyes to her husband’s. His hazel eyes blazed with fury, his mouth tight, jaw clenched.


“You fucking klutz!” Eric boomed, voice full of a painful promise. He raised his hand and the Wife flinched, cowering. 


“Daddy?” Daisy asked, timidly, as she entered the room, her wide brown eyes full of concern. “What’s wrong?” Eric paused. 


“Nothing, Pumpkin,” He lowered his hand. “Your Mother and I just had a little disagreement. Why don’t you wait outside and we’ll go for ice cream?” Daisy beamed and happily skipped away. The mask fell away and Eric turned on his Wife, shaking with rage. 


“Can you do anything right?” Eric clutched her shoulders tightly, his fingernails making her wince. “Clean this mess up and don’t make me yell in front of our daughter again.” He shoved her away and she stumbled.


“Yes dear, I’m so sorry. It won’t happen again.” The Wife meekly whispered. Eric stomped away and back, shoving the broom and dustpan into her hands. The broom handle smacked roughly into her jaw. She refused to flinch again. 


“What are we having for dinner tonight?” The Wife stood up straight and looked him in the eye.


“Soup.” 


***


The Wife stirred the soup that was bubbling away on the stove. Eric fell ill again shortly after their little spat two weeks ago. He seemed even worse this time around, but she didn’t call the doctors. She had almost become a nurse, after all. She knew how to care for him better than those quacks. He needed rest, vitamin tablets and aspirin, plenty of water, tea, fresh juice and soup. Most of all soup. He always perked up when he had it and then slept soundly through the night.


“Mamma!” Daisy scrambled into the kitchen and threw her backpack on the ground as she ran into her Mother’s arms. 


“How was your sleepover, darling?” The Mother asked as she scooped her daughter up, spinning her around as Daisy giggled. 


“It was sooo much fun! We had ice cream sundaes and stayed up late playing flashlight tag outside! Her daddy made us pancakes this morning. You know what the best thing was though?” She leant to whisper into her Mother’s ear. “There were no monsters.” The Mother stiffened and set her daughter on the ground. She took a deep breath and steadied herself.


“That’s wonderful! Why don’t you go unpack your things and wash up? I can make you grilled cheese for lunch.”


***


“What are you making Mamma?” Daisy stood on her tip-toes, trying to peer into the pot.


“Soup”. The Mother gently nudged her daughter away, worried she would accidentally touch the scalding hot stove or pot. 


“Ooh, can I have some?”


“No!” The Mother said sharply but she pasted on a smile as Daisy flinched. “No, sweetheart, this soup is for your Daddy. It helps him feel better”.


“Oh, okay, like medicine?”


“Yes, like medicine”. She breathed a sigh of relief. Daisy motioned for her to lean down. She whispered in her Mother’s ear.


“I can hear the monsters in Daddy’s room now, Mamma. Buzzing, squeaking, scraping, squealing. They sound hungry. How can Daddy get better if the monsters are in there with him? Can I go see him?” The Mother’s blood ran cold but she maintained her cheery facade. 


“Daddy is very tired, darling. He needs all the rest he can get. He might get you sick. Why don’t you make him a card tomorrow and I can bring it to him? I’m sure that would cheer him up." She gave her daughter a kiss on the cheek before ushering her towards the door.


“Okay! I’ll work on it right now!” The little girl hurried up the stairs, forgetting her backpack. 


The Mother went back to her soup.


***


Summer had started its sweltering rebellion against the looming fall. Record high heat and humidity caused the Wife to constantly wipe sweat from her brow as she stirred her newest batch of soup. She was trying a slightly new recipe today. Three more weeks had passed and Eric was not doing any better. Who wouldn’t be tired of eating the same thing three times a day? She gave him bowl after bowl of her soup yet it seemed to work less and less. Eric was too weak to even sit outside anymore so she left the window in his room open. Hopefully, fresh air would help.


Summer was almost over and their daughter was coming back today from an overnight end-of-summer camping trip with her day camp, which was really just in the Johnson’s backyard. The Mother had wanted to chaperone but, of course, she couldn’t leave Eric. He was so quiet lately, the Wife wondered if she did need to call a doctor, after all. The Wife paused her stirring as she heard the screen door bang open, followed by the sound of sneakers hurriedly scuffling across the floor.


“Mamma!” Daisy barrels into the kitchen, making the Mother let out an “oof” as the little girl slammed into her body.


“Hello, darling!” The Mother squeezed her daughter tight. “How was it?”


“We had s’mores and went on a nature hike and told ghost stories and Kelly’s story was reeeeally scary but I was brave!” The Mother chuckled and ruffled her daughter's hair.


“Of course, you were, my big brave girl. I’m sure you didn’t get much sleep last night. Why don’t you go clean up and take a nap? I’ll wake you for lunch.” Daisy gave her Mother another hug before running upstairs. She forgot her backpack. The Mother went back to stirring her soup as she hummed along to the radio.


An hour later, Daisy came down the stairs and entered the kitchen with a concerned frown on her face. The Mother put down a plate with a ham and cheese sandwich, carrots and chips on the table before opening her arms for her daughter to run into.


“What is it, darling?” The Mother squeezed her tight as Daisy buried her face into the Mother’s chest.


“Mamma, I can still hear the monsters. I smell them now too. It smells like when that possum got stuck under the porch last summer, only worser.” The Mother’s heart skipped a beat. She took a deep breath.


“Daddy’s sick, remember? People who are sick sometimes don’t smell very good. I left the window open. Hopefully, that will air things out and help him feel better. If you want, you can sleep in my room with me tonight.”

***



The Woman settled into her reading chair with a crime novel and a hot toddy. She had given her husband his supper and played with Daisy before putting her to bed. Finally, she had time alone. The Woman blew gently on her drink before taking a sip. She had just opened her book, the newest who-done-it, when she heard a blood-curdling scream upstairs. The Mother jumped up, knocking her hot drink to the floor, where it rapidly seeped into her book. She ran upstairs, heart pounding a tattoo of Daisy, Daisy, Daisy


The Mother frantically checked her daughter’s bedroom, but Daisy was not there. Another scream sounded at the end of the hall. She rushed to her daughter. Daisy stumbled out of the room at the end of the hall. Eric’s room. Daisy scrambled to her mother, falling at her feet. 


“Mamma!” The little girl sobbed, clutching her Mother’s skirt. “A monster!” The Mother shushed her daughter and led her to her bedroom. With trepidation, she took the seemingly endless walk down the hall. The door was slightly ajar, darkness seeping from within with strange sounds, buzzing, squeaking, scratching, and squealing drifting into the hall. 


The Mother took a deep breath before pushing open the door and a few cheerful drawings floated out. Daisy must have been putting them under the door. She smiled down at a picture of a happy stick family of three but faltered, the father’s figure had an odd shadow stretched behind him. It almost seemed ready to swallow him whole. Kids and their wild imaginations. She breathed a sigh of relief as she looked up to see nothing was amiss.


 A decomposing corpse rested in the bed. A permanent grin stretched rotting tendons and hanging skin across its bony jaw as flies buzzed, cockroaches scuttled, and rats squeaked while they feasted on the buffet before them. Maggots spilled from its eye sockets. Bowls upon bowls of uneaten fetid soup are piled around it. A disturbing, putrid and sickly sweet scent permeates the air. A rat tranquilly sips from a cup of untouched gray murky tea. Two weeks of the morning paper are stacked by its head, torn apart by rats for nesting material. But, the Wife doesn’t see the grisly tableau before her. 


She walked towards the bed with a smile, causing the carnivorous menagerie to scatter. She fluffed the pillows which oozed brown liquid with a wet squelch. She hoped her husband was comfortable.


“How are you feeling today, dear? Daisy has this wild notion that there’s a monster in here with you,” She chuckled as she stacked a few of the bowls of soup. “I’ll go fix you something to eat.” 


The Wife entered the kitchen and began to chop vegetables. She did not notice the brown slime dripping from her fingers. She started to sing. “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine,” She heard a sniffle coming from beneath the table. A tear rolled down her cheek. How strange, she mused as she wiped it away.


“Daisy, dear, there’s nothing to be upset about,” The Mother said calmly. “Your father will be right as rain in no time. He just needs rest and more soup. I swear this recipe is pure magic,” She filled the pot with chicken stock and water to begin boiling the vegetables. “You’ll never know dear, how much I love you”. 


Daisy quietly sobbed as her mother continued to croon the lullaby. Daisy had really let her imagination get away from her. The poor thing was really frightened. Some nice, warm soup would cheer her up. The Mother added her secret ingredients. “Please don’t take my sunshine away.

July 22, 2024 20:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.