0 comments

Coming of Age High School Romance

It was a regular Monday morning, I was getting ready for school. I did my usual stuff, you know, the basics. I patiently waited for the clock to strike 8, and when it did I hopped into my station wagon, and drove to school. As I was pulling out my neighbor Stella was pulling out at the same time and we almost collided, but of course I wasn't on my phone not paying attention so I slammed on the breaks before we did collide. She rolled down her window and yelled ¨watch it nerd, or you'll be paying for a paint job¨. Man Stella well she was rude but jeez she was gorgeous, I used to have the biggest crush on her until one day in eighth grade she publicly rejected me in front of the whole lunch room. I arrived at school, with ten minutes to spare, I was known as the nerd of my grade, the funny thing is that I used to be with the jocks but after Stella's rejectment the boys didn't want to hangout with a boy that got rejected by the grades ¨IT¨ girl. I sure don't look like a nerd, I lift on a daily basis and play sports, but of course I have good grades and when people see that I do they call me a nerd. 

School was out and my best friend happened to be waiting for me in my car as usual. Jackson was a year older than me, already in college being the frat boy he dreamed of being. He playfully punched me in the arm and asked ¨Hey Derick you up for a party tonight?¨, He was always wanting me to go out to parties with him and find a girlfriend. I usually say no but something told me I should go. I accepted his offer and he insisted we go to his house first so he can change and then go to mine. Finally after a half hour of deciding what to wear he picked an outfit. We drove to my house and we went inside. He went to greet my mom, she loves him like a son. I went upstairs to go find an outfit. He was in a deep convo with my mom so I decided I'd take a quick shower. He wouldn't have noticed anyways. When I got out I looked out my window and saw that Stella's house was in flames.. I saw Stella's parents but not Stella. I put on a pair of shorts, dripping wet. I ran outside and asked them Where Stella was. They were in tears freaking out that Stella wasn't outside, I knew what I had to do. Without hesitation I ran inside the burning house to go save Stella, there she was crying in the bathroom, I broke her bathroom window with my fist, and grabbed Stella and gently put her outside the window making sure the glass didn't cut her. Then the flames finally got to the bathroom and they were getting bigger. I jumped out the window, getting cut with the glass. I hit my head on the ground hard and all I saw was darkness…

I woke up to the sound of an IV, I was in the hospital. I looked around but my eyes were not adjusted to the light yet, I saw Derick and my mom in the chairs sleeping, and to my surprise Stella was there. Relief hit me, she was okay. She noticed I was awake and quickly woke up my mom. My mom hugged me and told me I was a hero. Derick was already making jokes ´So much for partying huh?’. Then my mom told Derick to give me and Stella some privacy. Derick gave me a wink and left. Stella looked at me and said ¨why didn't you leave me there to die, I have been nothing but mean to you.¨ I responded with ¨ because I've always liked you Stella”. She looked at me with confusion then said ¨I've liked you too but I thought you hated me because of eighth grade.¨ I reassured her that I didn't hate her, and she said nothing but gave me a kiss.

Stella stayed at the hospital till I was released, I couldn't believe she confessed her love for me. Who knew such a horrible situation could turn out to be the best thing ever. After everything Stella came over every night for dinner, my mom loved her more than Derick. We would stay up all night face-timing, I wanted to make it official with her but I just couldn't find the right time. It was close to prom and it was our last prom since we were seniors. I had the perfect plan to take her and ask her out there. I made a poster and asked my mom if she wanted to be in on it. She obviously agreed and she went all out, made dinner and texted her personally to come over. My mom made it seem like it was just gonna be a girls dinner, but in reality I was going to sneak around the corner and sing her my promposal. When she came over my mom gave me the signal and I popped out and did it, she said yes.

It was the night of prom, I picked her up and man, she looked stunning. I still don't know how I got so lucky to date my crush since eighth grade. My senior year was ending with the best thing in my life, Stella. She kissed me on the cheek and her parents took pictures of us. Her parents have not stopped thanking me for saving her since the fire. I walked her to my car and told her how beautiful she looked. She blushed and thanked me, We went to a nice restaurant before we headed to prom (my treat). When we were done we walked out of the restaurant and saw fire trucks speeding off, and i laughed and said ¨ glad it's not us this time¨. She giggled and said ¨I love you fire boy¨ I blushed and said ¨And i love you ¨gorgeous

October 19, 2020 02:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.