Wrong detour

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story told entirely through one chase scene.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Paulo Miguel

When I plunged down the road, I made a foolish decision. To my right was a detour that reflected immediate safety. Turning, I realized the cul-de-sac was almost impossible to escape from. I halted, with one knee almost bent, scarped and looked as if I’ve dragged my self across a half-finished wooden floor. I panted with one hand on my hip, contemplating on how to climb this brick wall.

I ran backwards and fling my leg to a side to get a firm grip on the wall. The redness of the brick almost camouflaged my knee that screamed at me with agony, but the half-ripped ends of the jean mocked me. I fell with a ‘thud’ I knew that was coming. I turn back defensively expecting to see her.. but no. I catch a glimpse of two women passing by the far end of the street, casually swaying a Gucci bag in her hand, throwing her hands in the air as she stifles a red-lipstick smile. I break my stare and pay heed to on how to get out of this mess. I begin to climb with all my strength. There was certainly a risk of falling to my death, but risk seems to be child’s play after all what I’ve done.

I try again but fail miserably. Is it too late to run out? Too many people have seen me, and I cannot afford more. If I stay here, the probability of being caught is lesser than running out of this junction. I look up at the height of the wall, it isn’t much but certainly needs some audacity to climb it.

‘freeze!, move and I will shoot’ her voice sounds unreal. She was here.

Facing the wall, I back away slowly, instinctively raising my hands over and resting on the back of my head. I see her hands tremble, but her eyes smile with victory that cannot go unseen.

It has been a good run.

Samantha Davis

My speak com wasn’t working. I feel like I’ve been out cold for around a good 20 minutes. When I touched my forehead I gasped out of exasperation. ‘I had him’ I grope my head and stare at my heel. I just had him. Just inches away, and it was a matter of showing the gun and yelling ‘freeze’. My undercover was a waste of time, I think while finally placing my police badge near my right side of the chest. The side walkers stare at me and paces up. Their gait increases and turns their heads as they pass me with a doubt on their faces. With a slight, painful stab-like agony, I walk back to my car where I just stare at my reflection. I see a woman with a heavy scar that runs from the left eye and extends to the hairline. The screw he used to do this was fatal, I’m surprised how I dodged it.

Earlier today I set out in a grey shirt that slacked and a stained pair of jeans that looked as of it has been put out to dry and the sun has been way too cruel on it. I waited outside the parking lot where he was seen last. Little did I knew he’d be carrying a corkscrew that would almost pierce my skull and leave me unconscious.

As soon as he came out of the dollar store, I made a run for it. Paulo immediately sensed movement, like a hyena being hunted down by a lion. He ran past me, knocking me to the ground and almost kicking me at my side. The adrenaline was too much for me to lie face down, so I get right back at my feet and sprint forward like the cop I am. I have to admit, he was a strong athlete-type.

‘move, move, move, move, police’ I began to scream at every pedestrian that came in my way. I felt my voice getting sore by the minute, but this was the least of my worries. I was going to lose my focus on him, and my blood was about to burst from my veins, the pressure was almost too real, too impressive.

Paulo Miguel

She came out of the blue. I knew how cops move; the gait and expressions was too obvious. Her eyes seemed suspicious and she paced way too quickly at me, giving me ample time to react. I get a head start and race out of the park, leaving my belongings behind. If I’m being honest, I had nothing valuable with me. The moment my place was raided by the police last night, I have been running. I have been moving from place to place like a hermit, being way too cautious about leaving a trace. Except the anonymous tipping line gave me out. In New York, the precincts maintain an exceptional anonymous tip line that any civilian could complain about anything. It has truly been the downfall of many misdeeds, and that I mean with a dint of disappointment.

The scorching sun was my worst enemy by far. It made me feel exposed and highly vigilant for no reason.

‘move, move, move!’ I shoved the irritating side-walkers and ran while making sure to make effortless and steady steps. Behind me, I felt that she was right at my heels, yelling the usual gut-wrenching police catch phrase. My insides twisted into knots when it dawned to me that I might go to jail for what I’ve done. This only gave me more energy and heightened senses. When I bumped into one stranger he cussed out, almost threw me off my balance. My ankle cried out loud as I twisted it, trying to restore my balance. I limped a few steps and looked back before sprinting forward.

Samantha Davis

There was absolutely no running on this pavement. People kept obstructing more often in the process, that more time was committed in order to move them. He was in my grasp. The frustration just escalated every time, I felt it swelling inside me, an addition to the adrenaline. I chase him with no breath to spare.

While I was running I notice his limp, how he pushes a civilian to the side and guiltily turns to face me. his wild eyes humiliates my job as a cop. Turning sideways he immediately cuts to the run. This man was fast. I press my speak com and notify my precinct about my inability to catch the perp. On the other side of the line, I hear mumbles, disguised as disappointments.

‘I am trying my best’ I say panting.

‘how did you manage to lose him after giving you the tip where he was at?’ My captain questions me.

‘he had a head start before I did, I need back up on the hill street 366 New York or else he might slip away’

‘we can’t afford that sergeant Davis, I will try to send back up, meanwhile don’t lose sight of Paulo, we need him to testify within the day’

I hang up and keep running. His limp might be his weakness, but that’s my strength. I grip my positivity when I saw him fall on to the side of the side-walk and got up with effort. with high spirits I yelled at him to stop, only to witness him cross the road and get away.

Paulo Miguel

It was the closest call. I felt the pressure rising up my neck and escape as a cry. My limping put me at a greater disadvantage while the cop made it seem like we were in a road runner movie. Clearly she was the road runner. To my luck, the traffic lights turned red, and I crossed the road with much ease along with the other pedestrians.

‘stop’ she was right behind.

‘excuse me, excuse me’ I say with a hurry that didn’t exist before. Seeing her at my heel made my heart pump out of my chest and made me feel dizzy, out of place – it must be the cocaine hitting in.

Last year, I was caught amidst of a major drug bust that made me serve 6 months in jail. I got out of bail as I was never caught with the drugs, my partner was the fish that got hooked to the net. Of course the illegal game sucks your energy out of your lungs, but the result is, I’d say, satisfying. This time, I’m not going to get caught, I’ve sacrificed way too much time for this and I’m not going to lose to some silly cop.

Samantha Davis

I will not lose a chase to a silly perp. I would catch him and throw him in jail for once and for all to rectify my mistake of letting him slip away from the very grasp of my fingertips. The timing was just perfect. There was an abrupt outburst of school children, getting down from a bus. An opportunist by nature, he strives to go forward but seemed to be struggling with the limp.

I grab on to his coat and yanks him down with all my strength.

‘stay down!’ I scream while reaching for my gun.

He is swift with his movements as if he had rehearsed this before. It takes me by surprise.

I was knocked unconscious.

Paulo Miguel

I didn’t expect her to pull me down, making the agony in my leg worse. Almost falling to the ground, I instinctively grab the screw, swinging it in front her face, and hitting the side of her face.

She deserved that.

Her eyes widened, accusing me of slipping all over again. There can be only one win here, and I’m going to make sure its mine.

Seeing her lying face down almost made me feel triumphant. But this isn’t over. The pedestrians are now filming and coming closer as I waster time here. I cover my face and run in the opposite direction and takes an immediate detour.

July 16, 2020 05:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.