18 comments

Romance Drama Holiday

                         The Cold Heart

An   innocent ray with all its subtle vitality and dying liveliness was coming out of the window. There was a  strange  , never ending war going on between meek rays of sun and   omnipotent , , despotic , callous cold which was omnipresent, sole and alone ruler of bone chilling January. Anna s’ dead white fingers were cleaning the fog from the window to see any sign of life. Winter had never been her  favorite season. To her  , it was a season of bereavement , carrying the dead bodies of virtuous birds , where no one is able to communicate , extending the distances between folks.

Her eyes even looked after a snowy owl from which she  always afraid of but now she   just wanted one sign of LIFE. Her shivering   hands  were   holding the big mug of coffee and she   was taking big sips  from the black goblet to engulf all the warmth and energy to bear this tyrant season  . Her white skin was giving a contrast to her dark black hair just like the blue sky was a reflection perhaps an eye opener   for the dark   waters of the sea.

She tried to call  her mom several time   but there was no internet service and no telephone connection as there was land sliding and every system became stagnant. To Anna her life was as stagnant as a glacier standing alone amidst the sea   , surrounded by rivers which she just couldn’t escape.Suddenly she heard the footsteps of  David   . He was coming downstairs for breakfast which she   had already prepared for him as she   knew he would first ask for it; 2 slices of white bread and one fried egg with creamy coffee  . She   just didn’t  want to talk so as he came downstairs she   prepared the table and went to the bed room. She just didn’t want to talk   . She didn’t want things to get right as she had been immune to the lifestyle that she had been living  , perhaps they   both have been living for the past seven years. She just became irritated without any reason .She took her court and long shoes and decided to go out. She just couldn’t stand David or may be the way he didn’t fight back to her silence or  ignorance.

“ Are you going any where”? he asked.

She became even more irritated and just wanted to tell him that its none of his business. He just needs to get busy with his office folks, girlfriends or boy friends .He just needs to mind his own business. “We are torture to each other and you need me no more and I have learnt to live without you”.  But she couldn’t and why ……….

“   I hmmm , am just going out ”

“ O k, I will go with you.” David said casually and took his black coat and muffler, went after Anna who was taking long steps deliberately just to  lost  in the snow or anywhere from David. There was nothing ; everything was covered with snow. There were only one or two hotel tops   visible but no sign of Life. She had a glimpse of road where she could see a long row of cars being stuck in snow. But she was still walking and David was anxious about her.

“ Anna , are you alright ? Where are we going?”

“ I don’t know. If you are tired you can go back to the cabin . I am o k .”David just looked at her with blank  bewilderment  . “   Anna , Com on man, we are not in the town we are at a remote area and I am freezing. So  listen  to me come back.”

“  I have already told you don’t waste your time go back. I can go on my own” she said without looking at him as if some evil spirit has caught her soul and she was reluctant to leave her. She started panting but still walking and then suddenly fell of due to a broken dead brown branch of tree came on her way. “ look , what you have done in your insanity .Are you serious. Where do you expect to go in this wilderness where you will see nobody but definitely you will become the dinner of a host of polar bear.”

“ I die or I live , it makes no difference to anyone , ahhhhhh” she was growling with pain.”

“ Don’t be so childish , give me your hands” David gave his hands to her which she rejected, “ I am perfect” .She didn’t raise her eyes to look at him. David got furious and hold her tight from her back and lifted her in his arms.

“ David leave me “, she was struggling hard to get herself freed from his muscular arms but she couldn’t .

“You are   insane , a wild beast , a monster and , and a ruffian”

“ Anna it doesn’t make any difference to me what so ever you call me , its just you are my responsibility and I will take you to cabin and will you please shut your mouth” Anna looked at her with broad open eyes as she didn’t see such anger on David s’ face for the past seven years. She just kept quiet. Anna s’ face was so close to David that she could inhale his breath which she was taking. She could feel his touch on her back , the movement of his fingers, his green eyes which got stuck on her face as a still walk clock that needles could move neither forwards nor backwards. To Anna s’ cold lifeless soul   , David s’ stroking fingers and long gaze were acting as a catalyst , a Fire, due to which her chilling feelings started melting. After one hour they would be able to reach the cabin. David was still holding Anna and he opened the door gently and lay her down on the bed. The time stood still for both of them .They just couldn’t lift their eyes from each other. All Anna wanted to say to him. “ Don’t go away Dave .I need you the most , I just wanted to be with you. I need you and your time” but she couldn’t .

“ Anna I just need to check your foot . let me take off your shoes and socks.” David took off the things and started touching his feet . Anna just forgot about the pain all she knew was she desperately in love with Dave but………

“ Dave I am fine ,you can leave me alone now.” , She murmur.

“ No Anna its not done, let me grab some pain killer” David went outside and came with a pain relieving jell .

“ Dave its not necessary. I am fine ” Anna insisted.

“ Anna don’t act so childish let me give you a fine massage” he started rubbing her feet with pain reliever. When he was done and sat beside Anna on the bed, Anna mustered up her courage to talk to him what she wanted to say to him but couldn’t .

“  David I need to talk” she tried not to look into his eyes. “   O k. Go ahead I am listening” he said without any idea what bomb was going to explode.

“ David I wanted Divorce”

“ Are you kidding ……….. o k I  will fix everything I know we both have been busy specially for the past three years and that’s why I arranged that holiday for both of us………its nothing honey , its just…… a just

……….depression.” David was in an unbelieving condition.

“ Dave….. I am done” tears were rolling down her cheeks. “ I can not do this any more. I can not take the burden of our relationship”

“But we love each other Anna ” David was shocked’

“ Yes I did and I do but love can never be one sided, when you put the load of managing stress ,to compromise , to suffer and to carry a relation on one person ,it becomes vague like fog, it becomes cold like snow and now my heart is overburdened and dead .I have a cold heart Dave which doesn’t feel anything. You have always been busy  ,never got a second to talk. This is what I never wanted.” she was disappointed and lost.

“ Is this what you want” he inquired while his face was pale and mouth wide open.

“ Its not that simple Dave relationships are not like your business deals ,once its broken you can not mend it”.

She went to the other room and lay on the bed and she cried as long as she could till her eyes became swollen and as red as blooded sea. Its been two days they didn’t talk to each other. Anna had no idea where David was .She started packing her luggage as this holiday would not do any favor in saving their relationships except Anna became able to confront her fears , to face the problem and tell the truth .She came outside with her purple suitcase ,David was sitting in the lounge . “ I am leaving David” she said goodbye and went outside. There was so chill and frost that it was hard for her to carry her suitcase after walking for half an hour she heard a familiar and shouting voice “ Anna Jonson” she turned her head and saw David was standing behind her, calm and static “ Is this what your name is Anna Jonson, the daughter of a rich CEO ?”

Anna had no idea what he is up to. He looked insane and fanatic. “ Miss Jonson do you know a boy , a poor guy who was madly in love with you ,who saw dreams from your eyes. What was his name hmmmmm…. I think his name was David . To him , you were his whole world ,he left everything just to get you and then he lost himself to give you the life that you deserved”.

Anna tried to say something but he didn’t let her “shhhhhhh , listen I was busy , I was crazy and when I got you I had nothing except you . You were my treasure and I worked so hard to make a world so I can save this treasure. Anna I love you ,I don’t know about the first but you are the last love of my life and I would be hollow and a fish out of water without you.”

He came so close to Anna that Anna could smell his fragrance . He hold her with his both hands and kissed her so hard that she couldn’t resist perhaps she had felt blood flowing throw his cold heart as meek rays started a combat against the dead snow again.

January 21, 2021 20:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Michael Boquet
03:37 Jan 28, 2021

I'm going to give it to you straight: I couldn't finish your story. It's too hard to read and there's just too many typos. The parts I did get through though, toward the beginning, had some great use of language. I feel like there's a good poem somewhere in this piece. Keep writing my friend.

Reply

Ayesha Hassan
09:27 Jan 28, 2021

Thanks my friend for reading and giving me your precious time. As it is my first attempt as a writer so I will try to avoid any typo next time keep reading my stories

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ayesha Hassan
09:32 Jan 28, 2021

Its a short romantic story about a couple who forgot about their relationship , love and attachment due to the fast pacing life and how they resolve their issue and come up to each other...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tehmina Rafiq
09:48 Jan 27, 2021

Well done its amazing 👍

Reply

Ayesha Hassan
09:28 Jan 28, 2021

😊 thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Iqra Moeen
08:24 Jan 27, 2021

Love the content of the story. Thumbs up!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mahjabeen Anjum
08:09 Jan 27, 2021

Just Wow ..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Fatima Jaffery
05:17 Jan 27, 2021

Lovely story! It's a beautiful whirlwind of feelings from disappointment to hopelessness to hopefulness to love. The vivid descriptions add to the imagery that a reader wants to go through.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Oneza Ehsan
03:20 Jan 27, 2021

Its beautiful. A short drama giving complete detail of anna’s past life as well as what she is suffering from. David’s feelings towards Anna. Its climax is amazing. And well written beautiful expression . Well done Ayesha Hassan

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ibrahim R
21:45 Jan 26, 2021

So your interpretation, your beliefs guide tremendously what you think you see and how you interpret the situation-- for complicated things or even easy things like lines or squares. And for the story to go in its depth, I think the title would quite match with the genre of perpetuating factor of life's abrupt unfortunate and kind of depressing events. (Depicting the sad ones that are happening in almost everyone’s life, mostly heartbroken related issues) Beginning with a definition of exasperation of the coldness of heart and ending with t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maryam Riaz
20:22 Jan 26, 2021

Loved reading it! 👏

Reply

Ayesha Hassan
09:29 Jan 28, 2021

Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:07 Jan 26, 2021

its beautiful

Reply

Ayesha Hassan
09:29 Jan 28, 2021

Thanks 😌

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ayesha Hassan
09:29 Jan 28, 2021

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Nim Ra
20:03 Jan 26, 2021

Woahhhh Amazing ❤

Reply

Ayesha Hassan
09:28 Jan 28, 2021

Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ayesha Hassan
09:28 Jan 28, 2021

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.