0 comments

Funny Romance

"Chey, I need you at the front counter."

Carol Jean, owner of C.J.'s Roasters called me to my area in record time. We were the newest establishment in Springs Creek. We took a place next to where a baby was found two winters ago. I never believed in magic until I moved here. Carol took me under her wing when her best friend; my mom, Patty, left. I admit I was 20 but it was always my mom and I. I stood anxiously awaiting this god on Earth to enter. He was always my first customer. I knew his order like the back of my hand.

"Hey, how's my favorite barista?"

"I'm good, Mister Leota, How're you?"

"Oh, today, I'm Mister Leota, huh? Usually, I get Akamu."

"I only say your first name when I'm done with your Matcha Latte,"

I smiled, trying to conceal my blush.

"The rosy cheek look is good for you. Do that more often."

I smile genuinely.

"I will, Akamu."

"I don't know how my name sounds better, but I'll be thinking about both all day. Have a terrific day, Cheyenne."

He dropped a tip in the jar and flashed me a smile. As he left, Paula, my co worker, came up to me.

"Honey, with a smile like his, I'd have a great year."

My friend, Jenna, rushed up to me from the backroom.

"Do you know who that was?!"

Paula and I look at Jenna.

"Um," I said.

"Cheyenne, that is the biggest up and coming attorney in the twin cities! He came from New York to settle down with a real woman."

"Yeah," I said, confused.

"He was flirting with you!" She shrieked.

I cringed. Paula noticed my unease.

"What's the matter, Chey girl?" Paula asked.

"I don't know the first thing about dating, dressing for a date, how to act, what to say, what to do.. I'm a literal fish out of water. I'm pretty sure I'm going to mess this up, y'all."

Before anyone spoke, Carol Jean came from the supply room.

"Cheyenne, you're a natural charmer. You're also beautiful, funny and if Mister Big Shot can't see that; you don't need him."

I smiled, releasing the breath I'd held without knowing. As patrons siphoned through the shop, time flew. The sun set and as we started to close, I heard the door chime.

Carol Jean looked up from under the counter.

" I'm sorry, but we're closing in ten.."

"I'm aware of that. I saw the sign on the door. I'm here to offer Cheyenne a ride home."

Carol looked straight into the chest of Akamu.

"She's important to me. Be careful with her or else."

"Yes, Ma'am." Akamu said confidently.

"Good. I'll get her."

Carol walked in back by me.

"Someone's here to see you. By the way, I approve enough to do this."

She handed me a half gallon jug of what looked like cider.

"What's this, Mama Bear?" I asked.

"A new item we're trying starting next week; Caramel Apple spiced cider. Let me know what you and Apollo think."

I smiled.

"Thanks, Mama Bear."

I dashed through the door to Akamu.

"Should I ask what you've been up to, Cheyenne?" He asked with a smile.

"Baking.

"You smell delicious. Should we go?"

"Yeah, let me grab my bag."

Carol stopped me as I reached for my stuff.

"Take this, you'll thank me. Now, scoot."

I dashed from the backroom, bags in hand. Akamu took my backpack.

"You don't have to do that." I said.

"Please,"

I couldn't argue with his voice or his reason. We approached his Lexus.

" Cheyenne, I have a question for you."

Synapses fired electrons through my body like fireworks.

"Why do I look like Casper?" I asked.

He chuckled.

"No, but flour never looked so sexy."

I blushed.

"Why did you need me?"

"I need a date for a function at work. My firm won a huge case and they're throwing a party for the occasion. Would you consider being my date?"

My brain didn't think. My mouth simply responded.

"Yes. Yes, I'll be your date."

"Excellent. You'll be the most beautiful woman there."

"What do I need to do or know or..?"

" I'll let you know. Right now, what I want to know is what's in the bag?"

I laughed.

"Carol Jean gave me a new treat she charged me with baking. A pumpkin Scone; wanna try it?"

"Sure."

I broke off a huge piece for him.

"How long have you worked at the coffee shop?"

"Since I could work, honestly. Carol was my mom's best friend until my mom.."

"What?" He said.

"Ya know, I really gotta trust someone if I'm telling my life story." I said.

Akamu looked at me.

"Cheyenne, I can respect that, but I knew something was different about you from the beginning."

I side-eyed him.

"How?"

"I'm a lawyer. It's kinda my job to read people."

"Alright, what could you tell about me?"

"You're a hard worker, stubborn, very cute, but skeptical about getting close to people."

"You're not wrong."

"I felt the same way."

We pulled up to my apartment building.

"Thank you." I said.

"Before you get out, let me give you my number. We can meet to discuss plans over dinner."

I smiled.

"I'd like that.

Akamu put his name and number in my phone. I called him right away.

"There, I have your number. I'll call you tomorrow after I finish work. We'll figure out arrangements then. Good night, Tausala."

I looked at him, curious.

"What does that mean?"

"It's Samoan for 'Princess'. I hope you don't mind."

I blushed.

"No, but I should go. Long day tomorrow."

"Good night,"

I left the car and ran up the walkway. Immediately, I called Carol Jean.

"Hello,"

"I need help, Mama Bear,"

"What can I do?"

I explained what happened. I heard her laughter.

"Well, this is awesome. I'll get you squared away in style."

"Thanks,"

After a slower day, Carol Jean took me into the office. There hung three garment bags.

"Take a look."

In one bag, two dresses hung. They were identical to each other in style, but different colors. One was cherry red, the other wine. The next bag contained a black dress and the last a silver dress.

"Everything for knocking Apollo out on the first date. They're all yours. I'll be there to do hair and makeup."

"What about Mike and the boys?"

Carol smiled.

"Who do you think picked the dresses?"

I let out a laugh. My phone rang a minute later.

"Hey, Cheyenne."

"Hello,"

"If you're not busy, how about dinner tomorrow at La Galleria?"

I froze. Looking at Carol Jean, I bite back a squeal.

"I'd like that."

"Awesome, I'll pick you up at seven."

"Alright,"

"I'll see you tomorrow night, Tausala."

I heard the click and squealed.

"Good news,"

"My date's tomorrow night at La Galleria. I'm not ready!"

"You're going to be fine. I'll give you a ride home. You're going to make him crazy."

"Okay,"

I returned home and looked over my dress choices. The following night, I chose the wine colored dress with nude pumps. Carol styled my hair and makeup. When I heard the buzzer, I jumped.

"It's okay," Carol Jean said.

I answered the door. Akamu handed me six white roses.

"Beautiful flowers for a princess."

I smiled, blushing slightly.

"Shall we go?"

We walked to his car. After a night of great food and conversation, we returned to my place.

"Are we clear about the party Friday?"

"Crystal clear. I'm going to make everyone jealous."

"Don't try too hard, Tausala. I'd like to see what happens when this charade ends."

I didn't think. My immediate instinct kicked in and I kissed Akamu. I could hear the passion in his moan. I felt the softness of his facial hair. His hand stroked the back of my neck. Then he pulled away from me.

"If I keep kissing you, I guarantee that I'm not going to be able to leave. With that in mind, I'll see you Friday night..."

I exited the car, but he pulled my hand back to him.

"You smelled so good tonight, I wanted to eat you more than dinner. Good night, Cheyenne."

The next morning, I entered work with three expectant faces staring at me.

"So?" Paula asked.

"What?" I replied.

"How'd the date go? Don't leave us hanging, Chey!" Jenn said.

I briefly explained everything, omitting the kiss from the details. I heard the door chime. Instead of Akamu, it was a delivery person.

"Cheyenne Kramer?"

"That's me." I said.

The delivery person handed me a small sized box and card. I went to tip him and he refused.

"It's been taken care of, Miss. Enjoy your day."

I open the card.

"A princess deserves some fine jewelry. See you soon, Akamu."

I set the card down on the counter. Opening the wrapping, I see a box that says "Tiffany and Co." on it. I open the box and see a gold solitaire diamond necklace.

"I'm in shock, this is gorgeous!" Carol Jean said.

" I now am set for Friday."

Days flew by like nothing. Thankfully, Carol Jean let me go early so I could prepare for this evening. She came over, curling iron in hand.

"Let's sex you up!"

I laughed nervously.

"It's not that kind of date, CJ."

"It could be. Now, sit."

At 6:45, I was nothing but nervous. I dressed in a silver cocktail dress, wearing the necklace Akamu gave me. Carol Jean looked me over and smiled.

"I'm taking a picture. If nothing else, this is going in a frame at work with your number underneath it. You're gorgeous."

I laughed as I heard my buzzer. Carol jumped to answer it.

"Hello,"

"It's Akamu. Is Cheyenne ready?"

"Yes, she is. She's on her way."

Carol hugged me one last time.

"You're awesome. If you need us, call. I love you."

"I will."

I walked calmly down the stairs to see Akamu in a dark blue suit, pressed tie and hair pulled back into a ponytail.

"You look stunning, Chey," he said.

"You look gorgeous too," I said.

"Looking at you, in that dress, I just want to take you anywhere else but that party."

"Unfortunately, we have to go."

"We don't have to stay though."

"Let's see how the night goes."

He continued driving to hotel. Entering, I felt odd. A man in thirties approached us.

"Well, well Adam.. Who's this?"

Pushing past Akamu, the stranger pulled my hand to his lips.

"Enchante, Mademoiselle. I'm Edwin Chase. I work alongside Adam here. He didn't tell me he knew such a gorgeous girl."

I felt awkward. Akamu stood between Edwin and me.

"Go find someone else to bother, Chase. I'm not staying long."

Edwin's date approached. The overly made up blonde woman reeked of alcohol and cigarette smoke.

"Eddie, you didn't tell me you knew such a gorgeous man. Hi, I'm Sara."

"I'm taking my girl and we're leaving."

Sara leered at me.

"I know you! You serve me my coffee at that trash diner down the street from the firm! How'd you get in here?"

I stuttered. Akamu looked at them.

"She's my girlfriend. Say one more thing, I'll need an attorney, but you're going to need surgeons."

Edwin stood shocked. Sara clutched Edwin's arm. Akamu looked at me.

"Are you ready to go? I'm done here."

I could barely say yes. We walked out before they even served dinner.

"I'm sorry about that, Chey,"

I touched his arm.

"Did you mean it when you said I was your girl?"

"No, but I want you to be. You're everything I want to have in a wife one day. What do you say? Want to go out with me?"

He rubbed the back of his neck.

"I'd like that."

A year, several lattes and a bun in the oven later, I'm proudly going to be Missus Akamu Leota.

Oh, and he gets the occasional free Matcha Latte.

October 12, 2020 07:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.