42 comments

Mystery Friendship Holiday

Aiden took a steadying breath, downed the double shot of rum in the plastic cup, swiped his key card, and pushed the door open. He tossed the cup on the floor, and grabbed the shovel he borrowed from the groundskeepers, with both hands. Now or never, he thought, as he entered his hotel room.

His flip flops squeaked on the vaguely sticky floor, and his heart hammered in his chest. And he was sweating.

“Hello?” he said, closing the door behind him.

Sweating from the all-inclusive courage, from the three-star buffets, from the three sleepless nights since he got here. Nights spent in the hall, or by the pool, or in the lobby.

“I know you’re in here.” Aiden’s voice wavered. He flicked a switch and half the room was filled with lazy yellow light from the one bulb that worked.

When he heard the sputtering of his bathroom sink, the water suddenly gushing all by itself, he closed his eyes and took another ragged breath. Three days of this. Three days of things just happening, of weird sights and weirder smells, of sudden noises at all hours. Should have just stayed at a hostel at this rate.

He entered the bathroom and – yup, there it was. The faucet was on full blast, and instead of water it was spraying blood.

“Stop it!” Aiden yelled. He rushed to kill the taps before everything overflowed. A bloody bathroom wasn’t something he wanted to explain to housekeeping.

“Just stop doing stuff!” he shouted at his tiny living room, brandishing his shovel like a bat. The light flickered, and he shrieked and jumped back when a pallid arm grabbed for his ankle from under the couch.

“I’m not afraid of you!” he falsetto’d. 

“Boo,” said a gravel voice, right behind him.

Aiden shrieked again – and the neighbours banged on the wall, shouting muffled annoyances – and crumpled to the floor. Behind him was a pale old man in a pale old Hawaiian shirt and a pale old Panama hat and pale old socks and sandals, all horrifyingly transparent.

“You should be afraid,” the ghost said. He was wearing slightly less pale sunglasses, even though it was night and he was indoors. With the snap of a finger, a ghostly cigarette appeared in his hand and the room filled with the stench of stale tobacco.

Aiden just managed to eke out, “Please leave my room.”

“This,” said the ghost, spreading his arms and taking in the sixth floor non-ocean-view junior suite (with balcony), “is my room.” Then he laughed as a spectral whirlwind rose up around him, sending all of Aiden’s clothes and belongings flying in every direction.

Aiden screamed and bolted, and found himself a nice spot in the all-inclusive gym’s toilets to spend yet another night not in his bed.

In the morning, on the palm-lined lawn outside the rec centre, Juan the groundskeeper pointed out, “Dude, you look like hell. Like you died or something. You know, open bar doesn’t come with an obligation.”

“Thanks,” said Aiden. He handed back the borrowed shovel and wiped the last of the sleepless night from his eyes. “Listen, my room – 623. It was really cheap.”

“Yeah.”

“Why?”

“Dude,” said Juan, grinning. “A guy was found dead in there! Straight up murdered.”

Aiden buried his face in his hands and grumbled.

“They say it’s haunted now,” Juan continued. “I don’t know about that, but nobody lasts more than a night. Except you. So I guess it’s not haunted?”

“Oh, it’s haunted.”

“Dude! You got a pair, eh?”

“Yeah,” Aiden muttered, staring off at the churning ocean. His first vacation in – well, ever, actually – and just his luck, he ends up in a haunted suite. If he didn’t get any real sleep soon, the vacation would probably kill him. The sane thing would be to cut his losses and head back home, but on the other hand, the beach was nice, the price was good, and the resort made it brutally clear there were no refunds.

“How do you get rid of a ghost?” he asked pensively.

“Dude, I got no idea. Probably like, figure out whatever unresolved business is keeping it chained to the world of the living, and then resolve it, thereby allowing the restless spirit to finally have peace.” Juan sniffed. “Or something. I don’t know.”

Aiden blinked. “Thanks, Juan!”

“Yeah, don’t mention it. Listen, I gotta get back to work, eh?”

They parted ways, and Aiden made his way to the breakfast buffet, joining all the early-rising seniors. Their chatter was amicable but his mind was elsewhere, roiling ceaselessly as he shovelled omelets, sausages, and plantains into his mouth. By the time he got to his breakfast mimosa, he had a plan, and his next stop was the front desk.

“Excuse me.”

“Sorry,” said the woman at reception, taking a break from straightening the frames of two portraits behind the desk. “No refunds.”

“No, I know.” The portraits caught his eye. On the left was a woman, older, with done up hair and tiara, and on the right, a man with an enviable beard, aviator sunglasses, and a uniform loaded with medals. “Who are they?”

“Our honourable mayor, Mr. Damian Winter, and his wife Enid.”

“Oh.”

“They also own the resort.”

“Oh. That’s… neat.”

“They are excellent bosses,” said the receptionist, standing taller and side-eying the lobby, “and I am grateful for this amazing job.”

“Okay,” said Aiden. “Look, I just need to use the internet. Do you guys have like a business centre?”

She pointed to a lone computer in the corner. “Five dollars for fifteen minutes.”

“What!? I thought this was all-inclusive!”

“Oh, friend,” she said, “all-inclusive never includes everything. If it did, it would be called everything-inclusive.”

Aiden scowled, paid her, and started researching. He pretty quickly got some hits – turns out the resort didn’t have much of a murder tradition, thankfully – and he learned the dead man’s name was Herbert Farace. Found three years ago, in 623, a knife in his back – but that was all Aiden found that wasn’t behind a paywall. Also, his fifteen minutes were up.

But it occurred to him that libraries would probably have an archive of the local papers, so he asked for directions.

“The library?” asked the receptionist. “Did you mean to ask, ‘Where is the beach?’ Or do you really not know how to vacation?”

“Funny. Look, I’m interested in the murder of Herbert Farace.”

“Ooh!” She winked. “I gotcha. I like true crime too, and that one is kind of a local legend, and unsolved.”

“A local legend? Really?”

“Well, local to the resort. We were worried it would affect bookings, but… well, never underestimate the power of cheap.”

“Right. The library?”

She gave him the directions. Turned out, it wasn’t too far from the resort, and it gave him an opportunity to see a bit of the seaside town. And when Aiden actually entered the blissfully air-conditioned library, it occurred to him he was doing something vaguely cultural, which pleased him. A nice break from the beach and nightclubs – well, it would have been, if not for the haunted room and all.

Digging in, Aiden found a flurry of media activity about the murder, three years ago. Front pages, exclusives, witnesses – a regular circus. It even started off with the head editor of the Seaside Daily imploring everyone to keep their eyes open. “Because,” said Editor Dean Winter, “we are a close knit community, and what happens to one of us, happens to all of us! And I don’t need to remind you the impact this will have on tourism!”

But that all lasted about a week, before a final statement by the chief of police was published. “We’ve looked everywhere,” said Chief Donald Winter, “but all leads have run dry, and we must move on. Life is for the living, et cetera. I encourage everyone to just forget about this whole mess.”

A day later, the Seaside Daily published a special update from Chief Medical Examiner Dustin Winter: “Having done forensics, it’s clear to me now that we’re actually looking at a suicide. Sorry about the mix up. Feel free to forget about it now.”

It took Aiden a while – a long while, due to the lack of sleep – but something didn’t quite add up. There was something very suspicious, he thought, about all these public figures having names that started with the letter “D”. What were the odds?

Things didn’t click until he found a feature piece on Herbert’s widow, though. There was a full page photo of her, in all her bereavement, and a very flattering red dress, being comforted by the stalwart and dutiful Mayor Damian Winter. He proclaimed he would spare no expense offering support to the bereaved, and his hand particularly was providing a lot of support to her low lower back.

Only, as Aiden studied the photo, it became clear to him that the widow Enid Farace looked an awful lot like the mayor’s wife, Enid Winter. And then, Dean, Donald, and Dustin Winter were all in the background of the photo, standing at attention.

And when it clicked, he gasped.

“Oh my god!”

By the time he rushed out of the library, night was beginning to settle down on town. His heart hammered as he ran down the streets, and the idea of being able to help Herbert find his peace – and also get full use of the room he paid for – thrilled him.

In the lobby, he ran into the receptionist and Juan chatting, and he rambled off all his findings in his excitement.

“Goodness!” said the receptionist. “You really think they’re all in on it?”

“It sure looks like it, doesn’t it?” Aiden asked.

“This is big, dude,” said Juan. He shared a worried look with the receptionist, and then they both looked up at the portraits of the owners.

“I’ll catch you guys later,” Aiden said. “I have a ghost to free!”

He flew into his room with a big grin on his face. “Herbert! Herbert Farace!”

Almost at once, the old man appeared, grimacing. “How the hell do you know my name, you wanker?”

“It’s okay, buddy! I’m here to help you!”

“What the hell are you babbling about? You better get ready for an ass-kicking–”

“–I can free you! I know who murdered you and I can get you justice. It was your–”

“–Stop!” Herbert shouted, and the whole room crackled with blue light as the sofa and coffee table became airborne.

“But, I can free you–”

“–Shut up!” Herbert’s eyes were wide, and his hands shook from fear. “Stop talking, you idiot! I don’t want to hear it!”

There was an awkward silence between them, and each man took a moment to compose himself. Aiden swallowed, and Herbert smoothed out the wrinkles in his shirt, which made the levitating furniture drop.

“Look,” said Herbert, his voice trembling. “Look. I’ll stop bugging you, all right? I’ll let you sleep or whatever, for the rest of your stay. You won’t hear so much as a peep out of me. Just… don’t tell me.”

“Um,” said Aiden, scratching his head. “All right, sure. But, why?”

Herbert looked lost, looked much older. He shook his head uncertainly. Aiden righted his couch and patted the cushion. With a heavy breath, Herbert sat down.

“Come on,” Aiden said. “Tell me. I would have thought a ghost wanted to move on.”

“It’s complicated.” Herbert removed his spectral hat and ran a ghastly handkerchief over his forehead. “The fact is – and I’m not proud to admit this – I’ve not exactly led a good life. If you get my meaning. I was… rough.”

“Rough?”

“Cruel. Violent. Petty. Frankly, the idea of going on scares the shit out of me. And besides, if there’s one thing I regret from life, it’s not spending enough time vacationing. Did you know, when I came here, it was my first vacation ever?”

“No kidding? Me too!”

“Yeah. Well, hope yours ends better than mine. Point is, now I have time. Anyway, I have my suspicions, but it would break my heart if they were true. I guess… maybe one day I’ll be ready to move on, but not today. Please.”

Aiden nodded. “Yeah, for sure man. I’ll keep mum.”

Then, having made peace, they got to talking. Aiden found Herbert’s rough life fascinating, and Herbert didn’t realize how lonely he had become, and how good it was to have someone actually listen. They chatted long into the evening and even made tentative plans to meet again in a year, “For two weeks this time, Aiden, my boy. I know a way you can get a room for free.”

“Sweet!”

“But enough chatter. You know what I want to do?”

“What?”

“Watch some damn television. It’s sitting right there in front of me, day after day, but my damn ghost hands pass right through the remote. Say, fancy ordering a porno?”

“Uh…”

“Okay, fine, just put whatever on.”

Aiden turned on the TV. It was set to a local channel where some breaking news were being broadcast. In the background was the resort, and an anchor was interviewing the receptionist and Juan. A picture-in-picture video showed a number of men in combat armour and weapons on some sort of operation.

“–federal agents have been called in,” said the newscaster, “to apprehend the mayor, Damien Winters, and his wife Enid, who are suspected of conspiring to hide their involvement with the murder of Herbert Farace–”

“Oh, you asshole!” Herbert shouted, and then he popped, drenching the room with blue ectoplasm.

October 25, 2023 21:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

Rebecca Miles
19:55 Oct 26, 2023

So much visual humour in this one Michal; I can really picture Aiden waking up in all the unlikely spots he's forced to try and get a moment's rest in. And just as he thinks he'll have his perfect vacation all booked in for a year, circumstances conspire against them. It's an interesting idea too: the ghost who wants the mystery to remain unsolved and stay in limbo land. I think I can see why the all-inclusive hotel setting came to you; I'd imagine for some (those retirees!) they are limbering up for the final limbo land: just hanging aroun...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:54 Oct 26, 2023

I like those ideas that subvert expectations. Ghosts are often portrayed as tortured souls with unfinished business, just chomping at the bit to finally depart - but why not have a ghost that wants to stay? There's probably lots of reasons that might happen. But the resort idea, with the retirees in limbo, I'll admit that's a happy coincidence - good insight! What was my initial inspiration was the party life, how easy it is to overindulge and float from bar to club to bar. The little bit of sleep and downtime is so important to survive th...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
12:37 Oct 26, 2023

Former librarian here, reporting that the following -“The library?” asked the receptionist. “Did you mean to ask, ‘Where is the beach?’ Or do you really not know how to vacation?” followed by Aiden reflecting on doing something "vaguely cultural" - is just hilarious. An enjoyable, light-hearted approach to the prompt. And seriously, making plans to get together again in a year is classic.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:35 Oct 26, 2023

Glad you enjoyed it, Laurel :) I think there was a future for an alternate ending, where they would continue meeting up year after year, but that sounds like a different story. Maybe something to revisit in the future :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
22:09 Oct 26, 2023

Actually, that is a capital premise. Don't know if you write, or contemplate writing, novels, but that would make a great one. But as you say, a different story.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:55 Oct 27, 2023

Indeed I do :) And this one's gone onto the (ever growing) idea pile. If only novels could be fired off one-a-week :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Debra Snyder
15:34 Nov 03, 2023

Hello Michal, Your narrative voice here is so fabulous and fun to read. I couldn't stop reading once I started! Really fun story, with even the side characters of Juan and the receptionist so well characterized. I liked that the receptionist was "grateful for this amazing job" then she's critical of Aiden's request for the library - that's some iffy customer service! Also the comment about all-inclusive vs everything-inclusive, and "all the public figures with names starting with 'D'" made me laugh - very well done! And a surprise ending, to...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:49 Nov 03, 2023

That’s a good question - and yeah, I pictured it as a financial matter. Maybe the resort's in roaming territory, and he has a terrible (or no) data plan. I don't know if cellphone plans are horrible everywhere, but they're not great in Canada. Anyway, I don't think that's clear in the story, so thanks for pointing it out! Something to address if I revisit it. I'm glad you otherwise enjoyed it, Debra :) It was certainly fun to write. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
17:13 Nov 01, 2023

I haven't been on this site very long, but you've already solidified yourself as one of the writers whose stories I always look forward to reading. Good job!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:55 Nov 02, 2023

Thanks, Kailani! That's encouraging to hear :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
14:05 Oct 30, 2023

A lot of subtle and unsubtle humor in this story. I'm amazed at your creative output. A lot of the prompts leave me baffled or underwhelmed, but you always seem to come up with something unusual and entertaining.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:33 Oct 30, 2023

Thanks, Ken! I know that feeling well, and some weeks are a slog. I figure it's easier to start with a bad idea though, than wait for a good one, as you can usually massage the bad into workable. Glad this one landed - appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bob Long Jr
01:28 Oct 29, 2023

Herbert went from villain to not a bad dude and then I felt sorry for the poor ghost. Good story, love your humor you scattered about. Good story Michal !

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:36 Oct 30, 2023

Thanks Bob! Yeah, I think there was more to him than his initial gruff exterior. Mind you, it might get irritating haunting a room, and constantly having random tourists get booked there :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
23:12 Oct 28, 2023

Great story. I was just getting into the whole haunting when you hit me with "open bar doesn't come with an obligation".....BEST LINE EVER!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:39 Oct 30, 2023

Yeah, it's all too easy to overindulge :) Thanks for reading, Myranda - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
22:14 Oct 28, 2023

Some good jokes and a great punchline ending. I like the description of him being all pale, except for his shades which are slightly less pale. Just a throwaway line, but an excellent little funny detail. Good stuff, Michal.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 Oct 30, 2023

Thanks, Chris! Glad to hear that one landed :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
16:19 Oct 28, 2023

“All-inclusive courage” — love it! I used to go to a lot of conferences, and there is something vaguely nightmarish about enjoying decadence alone. You feel the compulsion to just keep indulging until it becomes almost despairing! This was truly hilarious, and the aspect of the Winters’ clan adds a great almost Jordan Peele/Ira Levin touch! Love to see this adapted for a Black Mirror or AHS! And “Fancy a porno?” makes me think Ricky Gervais might make a great Herbert.

Reply

Michał Przywara
04:22 Oct 30, 2023

Thanks, Martin! And yeah, "compulsion to indulge" sounds right on. After all, you paid for it so it would be a waste not to - even if that's not the smartest or healthiest decision. So it goes :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
15:53 Oct 28, 2023

A refreshingly novel take on a haunting. I especially like the banter between Aiden & the receptionist about asking the way to the library 😂 And also, it was just THE perfect ending to the story for Herbert to simply disappear with a « pop »

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:01 Oct 29, 2023

Thanks, Shirley! Yeah, I thought it was a fitting end too :) Can't let characters get too comfortable :)

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
21:48 Oct 29, 2023

Exactly right 😂- Keep ‘em on their toes!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nina H
13:38 Oct 28, 2023

I feel the moral of the story is…book a vacation 😄 Herbert made me think of Beetlejuice, an interesting ghost with tricks up his transparent sleeve! Funny story, with an ending that really popped. 😝

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:53 Oct 30, 2023

Heh, good moral :) People rush too much :) And as a fan of Beetlejuice, I'm digging that comparison. Glad you enjoyed it, Nina!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M.A. Grace
07:44 Oct 28, 2023

Really enjoyed this fun read. So much plot and characterisation packed in, with a satisfying ending.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:45 Oct 29, 2023

Thanks, M. A.! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
13:26 Oct 27, 2023

Classic humor, but fresh take on a haunting ghost. Ole Herbert is afraid of what will happen if his ties to this world are resolved - will he go to hell for the life he lived? Uh, yeah, I'd much rather stay in a beach resort and haunt people. I mean, it is all-inclusive :) There is so much detail in here - we get all of it. The scoop on Aiden's vacation, as far as him having to spend the night in every place in the hotel except his room, and the entire murder mystery surrounding Herbert. We even get a feeler for the resort staff. I mean Jua...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:52 Oct 27, 2023

Yeah, I think Aiden was genuine in his promise, but his earlier good intentions got in the way and ruined everything. (Or did they? Maybe this was the "good ending" after all. Like you said, karmic.) I definitely like conflict coming out of good intentions though :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, Anne Marie! It sounded like all the major points landed. I've never worked at a resort - only visited, and probably ended up as another eye-roll inducing tourist nuisance - but I expect there's probably a lot of overlap with any other service industry. ...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:36 Oct 28, 2023

I'd say fabulous ending! I wonder if Aiden can still get the cheap suite price AND enjoy the no-longer-haunted suite? I wonder if he'll come back in a year, despite Herbert being gone. To remember him, while enjoying the discounted rate, lol. Writing should be fun! At least sometimes, lol. Other times, there's a lot banging on the keypad and then holding down the backspace for a long time. Both are fun in their own way. But it's a lot more satisfying when you end up with a story as awesome as this. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:19 Oct 27, 2023

Great story! Poor Herbert, finally got to have a little fun, and…POP!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:53 Oct 27, 2023

It's too easy to overindulge on vacation :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
23:43 Oct 26, 2023

Among all funny-bone ticklers, my favorite might be the fact that Aiden was determined to stay in his haunted room because of the "the power of cheap." The plot is hilarious by itself, but all the little pokes at culture make it that much better. The ending was also perfect.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:54 Oct 27, 2023

The power of cheap is mighty indeed :) Glad you enjoyed it, RJ - thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
19:36 Oct 26, 2023

Still laughing, but poor Herbert, though I can see why he had to be sacrificed. This perfect story wouldn’t have been as perfect if it had ended any other way. Thanks Michal! (:

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:57 Oct 27, 2023

Thanks, Karen! Yeah, alternate endings came to mind, but I think this one fits. Can't have the characters be too happy, need to keep them on their toes :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
22:43 Oct 25, 2023

Okay, so it’s like this. I write all these tense emotionally charged stories and then I come find you to make all my tears go away. Michal, you make me laugh. So much. I want to reciprocate right? And give you this crazy psychoanalysis of why your characters are deep and the story line has all these relatable themes but like. You have this style of writing that’s just so light hearted. It reminds me of my favorite cousin who took every serious situation and turned it into something humorous, and for some reason we had way too many serious si...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:43 Oct 26, 2023

Your cousin sounds like a great person! Sometimes I turn on the news and it's all just so bleak - you gotta look for the funny or risk losing your mind. Thankfully our species is frequently absurd :) Would you believe though, I struggle with the tense & emotionally charged stories? And it sometimes seems other people write them so effortlessly, being able to turn a single event into a wild ride of ups and downs, somehow hitting the intensity without ever getting melodramatic (which often trips me up, as melodrama can be funny). Oh well, we...

Reply

Danie Holland
22:41 Oct 26, 2023

Ha! I work for the news. And I live in America. Send help. 😅 Thank you for sharing that you struggle to write intense stories, that’s truly encouraging. I feel bad because I’m bad at writing humor! Mine comes out all twisty and dark and then not humor at all but some sick cynical creature who makes everyone question what we’re all really doing down here. 🤦‍♀️ Catch you on the flip side!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
15:17 Oct 28, 2023

I laughed out loud at the paragraph that begins "Dude, I got no idea." You always do such a good job of having the characters all talk like themselves, and unlike each other. You've got a great cast of quirky personalities here.

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:44 Oct 30, 2023

Thanks, Kathryn! Very happy to hear the voices are distinct :) Always something I keep in mind, and it's good to know when it works out. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
03:13 Oct 27, 2023

Sure Herbert didn't want everything to be resolved because he was afraid of where he would be spending his afterlife having lived a rough life. But, hey, life's a beach.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.