2 comments

Contemporary Teens & Young Adult Fiction

“This is the order for table five,” Mariana said, handing a tray laden with four identical, beautifully-made lattes, complete with lovely little heart designs in the foam. “Remember the order, serve them starting with the upper left…” 

Natalie cut her off. 

“I know, I’ll be careful, don't worry.” 

She snaked her way through the old varnished wooden tables where four twenty-somethings sat talking and laughing. 

The bustling coffee shop was Natalie’s summer job, and weekend job at times if she was being honest. Her mother and father had run the place since before she could remember. When she was little, she would explore the many hiding places in the kitchens, and admire the way the worn wooden shelves of curiosities and books seemed to glow in the afternoon light. The place had become a character in and of itself, collecting trinkets, friendships, and memories. Everyone considered the place a part of the family. 

As she approached the table, careful not to trip on a stray chair leg, Natalie studied the four friends. Two wore rings on their left hands, two did not. The man without the ring had just finished a story which sent the other three into gales of laughter. There was a sparkle to his eye, Natalie thought. He has a kind face. Something just seemed a little...off somehow. Natalie couldn’t put her finger on it. Remember, start with the upper left… or was it right? Damn. Why couldn’t she remember a simple coffee order? 

“Okay everyone, here you are-- thanks for your patience.” Natalie grabbed the upper right cup and placed it before the woman with the ring. They thanked her as she emptied the tray and made her way back to the counter. 

The four carried on their conversation, periodically taking sips of the delicious drinks. Soulmate Coffee’s flavor was famous, and had created a hub for meetings of all sorts, bringing in both new and seasoned customers alike. 

As they carried on, something strange started to happen. The woman with the ring and the man who had been telling the story noticed their coffee begin to turn color;

from chestnut brown to a soft pink. The man commented on this, curious and amused that coffee could do such a thing as change color mid drink. The woman, whose cheeks turned a color slightly more vibrant than the coffee, excused herself from the table. 

She seemed to be making a straight line for the bathroom, but suddenly turned sharply to the counter. 

“I need to speak with Mariana.” Her voice seethed with anger. Natalie realized her mistake, and braced herself for what came next. 

“Yes, one moment.” Natalie turned and made eye contact with her Mother. Gesturing toward the angry woman with her eyes only, she mouthed the word help. Mariana put down a tray of mugs and wiped her hands on her apron. “Yes?” Mariana said as she approached. 

“This is NOT how this was supposed to go.” The woman whispered angrily. “The drinks are mixed up because she--” the woman gestured toward Natalie “couldn’t remember to put the right coffee in front of the right people. And now…” Her eyes started filling with tears. 

“It was an accident…” Natalie started to say. 

“I was HAPPY. I’m supposed to get MARRIED next month.” The woman went on, tears starting to fall down her cheeks, “And now I don’t know what to do. Everything is ruined because of you.” 

“Is it?” Mariana asked politely. “It seems to me that the coffee has worked out marvelously. Your drink has turned color and identified your soulmate, it’s just not the person you expected. The results have never been wrong.” “But it can’t be him,” the woman whined. “He’s dating Charlotte, and I’m engaged. It was supposed to be given to my Fiance.” She glared at Natalie. 

“And if it had been given to your fiance, it would have remained a beautiful brown latte, and you would never have known who your true soulmate was. This mistake is a gift. I can’t tell you how many people come into this shop for years trying out different people with no luck at all. And after a while, they’re convinced my methods don’t work.”

 “Oh they work all right. They worked this whole day into a giant mess and now…” she trailed off. Mariana reached for her hand. The woman looked at her through her tears. “You’ve been given a gift. I know it’s not what you want to hear right now, but the right person is here in this coffee shop today. Unfortunately what you do with this information is up to you. But if you want my advice, don’t get married next month.”

The woman looked down at her ring, sniffed, and tried to stave back the torrent of tears. “I knew it all along. I just didn’t want it to be true.” She said softly. Mariana handed her a tissue. She excused herself to the bathroom. 

Mariana whirled on Natalie. “ What were you thinking? I even reminded you about getting the order right. We’re not trying to disturb the other customers with outbursts like this.”

 “I know I don’t know what came over me. Part of me forgot, but part of me wanted the other guy to have that cup. I couldn’t help myself.” 

Mariana looked at her pensively. 

“So you knew?” 

“I didn’t know. Something just wanted him to have it. I--” 

“We’ll talk about this later,” Mariana said with such finality in her voice, Natalie knew her questions would have to wait. 

The day continued on with only one minor interruption. One of Mariana’s old friends, a “long hauler” as Mariana liked to call her, walked in. Jeanne Bankcroft burst through the door causing the bell to ding louder than usual. Mariana rolled her eyes and let out a small gasp of exasperation. Jeanne, who had two levels to her voice, loud and louder, walked up to the counter and interrupted Mariana’s protest. 

“Now listen Mariana, I know what you’re gonna say, but I just wanna give it a shot! I have a good feeling about this one, we’ve been on a few dates, he’s funny, dresses well, has a nice family…” 

“I don’t need fancy coffee to tell you that man is not your soulmate. Look Jeanne, his favorite activity is watching football and drinking beer. And not necessarily in that order I might add. You’re a delightful human being, and have many interests. But for as long as I’ve known you, sports is not one of them.” 

“Come on Marianaaaaa,” Jeanne looked up at her with exceedingly cringy puppy dog eyes. 

“Ugh. Fine. Bring him in tomorrow around 10 I’ll have it ready for you. But no more drop in appointments! I have a list of other clients too, you know.” 

“You’re the best friend I ever had. And I love you. Hi Natalie!” Jeanne waved enthusiastically. 

“I’ll see you two radiant beings tomorrow!” 

The bell on the door chimed as she exited the shop.

“What am I gonna do with her?” Mariana wondered out loud. 

“You can’t blame her for trying mom, and what if it is the one?” 

“If that man is her soulmate, I’ll eat my foot. Well maybe not. I’ll… oh I don’t care.” They both laughed. These excited visits from Jeanne usually led to inevitable disappointment. Marianna had told her that maybe Soulmate’s Coffee wasn’t the answer. 

“Many people have been perfectly content marrying and living very happy lives with a person that’s not their soulmate,” she had told her more than once. Jeanne remained undeterred. 

The day wore on until sunlight slanted through the front window, bathing the shop in a warm glow. Like a hug Marianna would say. Natalie was wiping down tables when her mother came in and gestured, “Sit.” She put down the towel. 

“About earlier, with the switched coffees.” 

“I know I’m sorry I’ll be more mindful next ti--” 

“I’m not mad at you, just curious. How did you know that he was the one? The probability is… well I don’t know what it is but it’s more than a million to one.” Natalie looked down at the wood grain in the table, smoothed over with years of use. “I don’t know. A feeling, something in their eyes. Even when they were laughing they looked... like they were longing for something.” 

Mariana smiled and leaned back in her chair. 

“What we do here is not for everyone. Our service reaches people who have a need to know, and they find what they’re meant to find. The universe doesn’t like when we push things too hard. It has its own timing and way of doing things. What happened today is a perfect example of that, and it has shown me that this gift lives within you.” Mariana looked up at her mother now, puzzled. 

“Gift? What gift? I thought that you just mix the right ingredients together, like a recipe?” 

“You’re not wrong, but let me put it this way. If your father put together the same ingredients, exactly the same way, he would make some damn good coffee, but nothing more. That’s one of the main reasons why he’s been on the financial side of the business all these years.”

“So I have the gift of making coffee that confirms or denies the validity of a relationship. That’s cool.” 

Mariana laughed. 

“Well when you put it that way it does sound rather silly. But yes that’s true, among other things.” 

“Other things?” Natalie looked curious. 

“That I will have to explain at a later time.” Mariana touched Natalie’s hand. “But if you’re interested, you can help me brew the coffee for Jeanne’s visit tomorrow.” A slow smile spread across Natalie’s face. 

“I’d love to try.”

September 18, 2021 01:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Amanda Fox
21:04 Sep 22, 2021

A very interesting concept! You made your protagonist very likeable, and I would like to see more of her stories. I'll be crossing my fingers for poor Jeanne!

Reply

12:20 Sep 27, 2021

Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.